Home Forums General General Board What Should Trainees Be Taught?

What Should Trainees Be Taught?

Home Forums General General Board What Should Trainees Be Taught?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    TheBaron
    Participant

That’ll explain the wierd ‘buzz’ I was experiencing!

canwefixit
    Participant

sorry kiddies I’ve been away for a weeeee while, those men in white coats, had to lay low for a while!

Ray, fantastic thread,

short answer: "Trainee’s this is not a Democracy"!!!!

"Yes I will listen to ideas but under no curcumstances are you to do anything until I say its ok"

nelson69
    Participant

I hope i will be a trainee after my rov course is completed in march, but i would rather work as a base tech to learn as much as possible for as long as it takes , before i go offshore .It must be a pain in the arse for you boys when you trying to get on with your jobs and you have a member of your team that you have to watch. Please tell me that a trainee is an extra man on your team.
    During my joiner apprentiship i went to college for nine months before i got to a building site, even then i made tea and brushed shit up for about two month.

Ray Shields
    Participant

In "the good old days" (only a few years back) we used to send trainees out as additional members of the team for their first 2 or 3 trips.

Nowadays they are chucked in the deepend due to staff shortages. Thesefore the Supervisor now has to remember what its like to fly rather than sit at the back playing cards (and do the winch)

misiuek
    Participant

you must have worked with "jolly" good company when i started there was 3 trainees per shift. one senior supv , one sub eng

it was survival of the fittest to get on the sticks especially everyone trying to get the 100hrs in, so more money could be had.

2 rovs one being backup shitty boat, thought i was in heaven, no tv reception 2 friends videos to watch for 6 weeks but to steal a word used elsewhere "the craic " was fuckin A.

trainees just remember you are just that "trainee" when you arrive offshore doesnt matter previous job title "senior missile polisher" what ever , its the bottom of the ladder all again which many forget , take humbarage to the menial tasks given , and occasional snarls of the supervisor….

enjoy and learn (eh and quickly as the next trip your cv will say compotent experienced pilot)

ho ho ho Merry whatever!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Hmmmmmmmmmmm 😕
    The ‘Craic’ very interesting 8)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Eh………… 😕 Ray ,

Thesefore the Supervisor now has to remember what its like to fly rather than sit at the back playing cards (and do the winch)

speak for yourself mate !
    I ain’t a back seat driver , nor am I a road hog !
    Take turns buddy 🙂

nelson69
    Participant

with all the knowledge you boys have you should get togehter and create an ROV training school / recruitment agency. you could demand alot of money being able to ensure trainees will be up to speed on all aspects of the industry and reduce the time and money wasted by companys on training newbies.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Eh Lostboy,

speak for yourself mate !
    I ain’t a back seat driver , nor am I a road hog !
    Take turns buddy

Good for you 🙂 Whenever I ran a shift I tried to put the trainee on the sticks as much as possible, when it was a "normal" crew it was 1 hr commentary, 1 hr sticks, 1 hr off.

As you know, some people will do all the flying and manip work, leaving the "boring" stuff to others to do. But thats the difference between Supervisors.

Nelson, the best training school in the world will never make an ROV pilot. It requires experience and hours. The best any school or company course can do is an induction or introduction with oingoing formal training as the people get offshore experience.

I start my next group of trainees on their course at the end of January 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I whole heartedly agree with you old chap !
    Only difference being pipeline surveys where I reduce the flying time to thirty minutes after Lunch 🙂
    Else the pilot has problems keeping his eyelids open ( tried them with matchsticks , Didna work ) The ROV then starts veering off 😀
    I find it a laugh just watching them try to keep awake 😆
    The slapping of the cheeks , stretching , the stand up and shake and of course the howl and yawn 😆
    It keeps me awake just watching them 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

We used to have a Tom Control Stick (named after one of the Norwegian Pilots, very fitting that Tom means empty in Norwegian…)

One hit on the left shoulder to make the pilot go port, one hit on the right shoulder to make the Pilot go Starboard and multiple hits round the head to stop doing whatever the hell it is he’s doing because the ROV was flying fine until he started to tweak the pots or move the cameras just because he was bored!

Having the Aircon set for Ice Making mode also helps ward off drowsieness 😆

nelson69
    Participant

Hi ray
    if your compnay is looking for any more trainees at the start of march
    you know where i am .

nelson

nelson69
    Participant

PROPLUS is good for sleepy heads
    or when your on a ghoster

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Don’t take drugs 👿
    I snort the occasional contact cleaner though 😈

luckyjim37
    Participant

Hi all been off for a while due to technical problems. Mainly I could not find a trainee to open up my laptop case and set it up for me. Then I almost had to empty a bin myself because it was full and the trainee was busy painting the a frame as that is the best possible way for him to gain experience. Then of course during a period of the TMS being split off the vehicle the trainee is called away to do some health and safety crap on a laptop.

I honestly think the way people learn is to be shown and to do undersupervision. As for the cleaning and tidying that is for everyone to do especially when on a vessel with two systems and one practical workshop on the same deck as the systems. I think the people involved know who I mean.

As for training courses they are only a part of a very big picture. The amount of guys who complain about not getting courses then complain about doing them in there time off is unreal.

Ray the only thing a trainee needs to know is how to get from the start to the end of the shift with the same amount of limbs and digits.

The basic way the ROV is put together and that they need to listen and learn but also if they feel a need to use some initiative to check that whatever it is they want to do is the right thing to do.

It still amazes me how many biggots and idiots there are who come on to this site spouting off about how great the good old days in the industry were.

I have met a lot of guys with years of experience and to be perfectly honest there are as many fools and idiots amongst them as there are amongst the trainees.

If that comment offends then think back many older guys have lost ROV’s through a stupid mistake which they have never made again. Some have been hurt or have hurt someone they hopefully have learnt from that mistake.

About time people realised this is a good industry stop the bitching about a bit of youth and start training them up to be good not for your pride or for a sense of self satisfaction giving something back to the industry but to make sure your company is seen to be a good one to keep it in business so you still have work to go to. Or maybe that is just bringing it down to basics to far

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar