Home Forums General General Board What Should Trainees Be Taught?

What Should Trainees Be Taught?

Home Forums General General Board What Should Trainees Be Taught?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    DaveO
    Participant

luckyjim37

Well said Sir

Savante
    Participant

Been fairly lucky thus far, haven’t seen any bitching offshore myself, I’ve only heard of someone who goes by the notorious name of "Captain Crash" – apparently a tally of 13 rovs lost, destroyed or still wrapped around jackets? So I would use this as an example that even in the "good old days" one or two people fell through the net!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Er , Savante , 😕
    I’m not saying that the ‘good ol days’ were alot different but If you were not there then you will not apprieciate the fact that most DID NOT have sonar Or reliable thrusters ! and ONLY black and white cameras !
    The ROV’s then were NOT reliable and powerful enough to go against the current !
    Apart from the UFO which could endure long periods underwater without coming up for air ! ( Mainly used for Diver opps ) Or the 225 which was a pain in the arss to fly and the Scorpio which needed constant luuuurve and attention to keep it going This is where the ‘Old ‘ saying
    "Hydraulics Electrickery and water do not mix.
    Yes alot of ROV’s went missing but I would say half of them due to the ROV’s crapping out and becoming thruster food or a wanker of a client who pushes the operation too far despite the ROV supervisor wishing to pull it but being ‘lump sum’ has no say and no back-up from the orifice and the weather comes up !
    So if you weren’t there in ‘those days’ Don’t assume anything friend 🙄

mickfromwestoz
    Participant

Hi All

Re the training issue I just posted this in another forum but it seems more appropiate here. I’m fortunate in that I may be working as a trainee ROV pilot/tech soon.

I haven’t done any ROV course as such as I was told it was generally a waste of time as well – I was an RAAF radio tech and also did an Associate Diploma of Engineering(Electronics). I’m starting to learn a bit more of the hydraulics side but I can’t find any technical info on ROV systems in general that would help me when I start working. I’ve seen ROV books on the net however I may be going offshore next week and they’re not available in Perth (Aust), is there anything available that I can download (or some kind soul could email me) that doesn’t cost a fortune – I’ve got a lot of brochures and sales stuff but I’m after technical info so that I have a better understanding before I go. 🙂

If anyone could help that would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Mick

Grouty
    Participant

mick from west oz
    I notice you are just another thick sand grouper! Since when has the word muchly been in the English language!

Martin Wareham
    Participant
    mickfromwestoz
    Participant

Yes I am just another "Thick Sand Grouper" and proud of it! I’d like to think after 15years living elsewhere that I have an open mind though – It took a while of living away but I’ve noticed I’ve grown a second eye!

I believe the correct spelling for Sand Grouper is actually "Sandgroper" however I am happy to be corrected if you know better – I don’t claim to be an English guru.

From whereabouts do you hail Grouty?

Whilst I appreciate Grouty’s English lesson any more relevant advice regarding my post would be REALLY appreciated!

Have a good day Grouty.
    Cheers

Mick 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Get a Dictionary 😯 😆

Itchie
    Participant

Grouty, Lostboy, and Martinw.

I will lower myself to your level and state the obvious
    You apparently received the context of Micks words, to you and the people that have nothing better to do but pick up on levels of English aptitude, take a hard look at what this web sight and many others are about. It’s about ROV’s not English 101 you Plebs.
    Goes to show how cynical and “UNFUNNY” people are.

Mick,

To you

Quote:-

haven’t done any ROV course as such as I was told it was generally a waste of time as well – I was an RAAF radio tech and also did an Associate Diploma of Engineering(Electronics). I’m starting to learn a bit more of the hydraulics side but I can’t find any technical info on ROV systems in general that would help me when I start working. I’ve seen ROV books on the net however I may be going offshore next week and they’re not available in Perth (Aust), is there anything available that I can download (or some kind soul could email me) that doesn’t cost a fortune – I’ve got a lot of brochures and sales stuff but I’m after technical info so that I have a better understanding before I go.

Question.

If the ROV course is a waste of time and the course is what is covered in the book then why do you want the book?

You are going out on a job in a week and you want to learn about ROV’s before you go. You should be full bottle when you get there then NOT, sorry mate but it takes more than a week, the ROV course is four weeks long and that’s why people think it’s a waste of time, Its just an overview on the ROV industry in general…..

Word of advice, Remember you military training,
    Don’t gob on when you get there.
    Don’t act. like your shit don’t stink.
    Learn the winch.
    Make the brews.
    Get friendly with the broom and dustpan.
    Empty the bins without being told.
    Watch when other people fly and navigate, Sponge up as much as you can.
    And finally learn how to do a dive log correctly.

This may seem cruel but it’s the truth, you’re a bum in a seat and rather than steal oxygen try as hard as you can to help out even in the smallest ways.

From one Mick to another.

Mick Stokes

Ps Yes you will find spelling errors in my feedback as well, go for gold boys……….

Fondoo
    Participant

Nice work Itchie,
    To the imbeciles that are calling themselves ROV Techs and picking on a trainee before he even has managed to get to his first job I say, get a life.

You obviously have little to no ability in your own occupations which is the driving force behind you venting your frustrations elsewhere!
    Casting judgement on a persons intellegence because of their place of residence and their abilities with diction purely says to me that you possess none yourselves.

Mickfromwestoz,
    Go for gold mate get out there work hard, learn lots and dont let any body hold you back. You’ll only ever be as good as you allow yourself to be.

Fellow Sandgropian
    Fondoo

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Says it all 😀

Mick
    Participant

Ray,
    I am new to the sight and I am learning alot from it, good and bad. I think the key is sussing out the negative guys from the positive, and straight forward. Do you mind if I ask you where you are working at the moment as from what I am reading sounds like you are an Instructor in the ROV industry with a vast knowledge and positive attitude for guys like me to hassle you with questions.cheers
    Mick

misiuek
    Participant

Itchie …. some sound advice

Word of advice, Remember you military training,
    Don’t gob on when you get there.
    Don’t act. like your shit don’t stink.
    Learn the winch.
    Make the brews.
    Get friendly with the broom and dustpan.
    Empty the bins without being told.
    Watch when other people fly and navigate, Sponge up as much as you can.
    And finally learn how to do a dive log correctly.

This may seem cruel but it’s the truth, you’re a bum in a seat and rather than steal oxygen try as hard as you can to help out even in the smallest ways.

actually fantastic if more took heed it would make our lives easier …. but dont take things so seriously…. if you don’t like the very small banter that happens on these pages by jolly you wont like offshore ….

fondoo you sound exactly the sort of person we try to dissuade from the rov business , you never heard a joke containing the phrase about a englishman , scotsman , irishman…..
    please dont blame anyone else for your inadaquencies i’m sure someone will love you for who you are…….

mick better to start a new thread ! this is getting worn out. just a wee hint highlight mr ray’s name and click find all posts and it will give you a wealth of info…

personally speaking mr ray is close to god for the next few weeks if i was in uk id be following him around with fresh cups of cha!

and to end….. if you are new , wannabe, take time to check spelling because you send cv in with wrong spelling etc boomf staight to reject pile, for my own opinion you will get a much better response from all us ‘horrible’ ‘dont know what we are talking about’ ‘dinasours’

takes a bow and jumps down from soapbox ….. reaches for a cool beer 😛

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray,
    I am new to the sight and I am learning alot from it, good and bad. I think the key is sussing out the negative guys from the positive, and straight forward. Do you mind if I ask you where you are working at the moment as from what I am reading sounds like you are an Instructor in the ROV industry with a vast knowledge and positive attitude for guys like me to hassle you with questions.cheers
    Mick

I am working at Fugro, still offshore but recently been running their training courses for them.

And before anyone else says it ( 😀 ) I certainly do not have a vast knowledge of working offshore nor all of the different types of work that ROVs do nowadays. The range of work and of ROV themselves is now so great you would struggle to know it all – although it doesn’t seem to stop some people saying they do 😮

I just asked the question to try and get input from some of the SUpervisors offshore to see if there was any areas that may be improved in training. When I do the course I start by telling the boys they will be making tea, cleaning up, and on the winch. That this is not them being picked on, its exactly how every other ROVver started from Superintendents down.

They should go out there, and watch, ask questions, follow the Sub Eng, ask him what hes doing, read the manuals, be keen. Learn how to do the weekly maintenance (and I mean DO, not just tick the box on the paperwork).

If you are not keen, the crew will just think you dont want to learn and not give you the time of day. Be keen, be busy, ask questions, and they will be more than happy to show you, tell you and teach you.

You go out there to maintain and fix an ROV system, THAT is your primary role. Flying and using the manip is the pleasure you get out of your hours of hard work maintaining the damned thing. Some people take the title Pilot too literally and think it means they shouldnt get their hands dirty and all they are there for is to fly.

And by the way, using this forum is just good practise for offshore when you are sitting in the coffee shop listening to mumping and moaning – only this is on a global scale 😉

Andy Shiers
    Participant

especially from the Australian quarter 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar