Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Which micro ROV?

Which micro ROV?

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Which micro ROV?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray
    For your organisation’s budget, check out ‘deepsearch’ at http://www.m-are.com

There are always micro systems going at not bad prices which you could probably negotiate down further.

cheers, thanks.

Andrew Lang
    Participant

G’day Ray,

I have experience with VideoRay and AC-ROV. I think both would be OK for your inland application.

The AC-ROV does well in mild currents (less than 0.5 knots) that you find in UK canals, reservoirs and lakes. It flies in every direction with equal ease which is handy because the camera is fixed and you have to point the ROV at what you want to look at. The lack of a compass is a drawback as losing your bearings wastes time. Having to surface to find out where you are and which way you are pointing is OK in shallow waters but not ideal. This ROV will be fine for you provided you know your starting point and don’t lose sight of a point of reference. You can access really small places with this and the ROV shape is less likely to get snagged than the VideoRay.

The VideoRay Pro 3 XE GTO works well except it struggles to hold station in mild cross-currents and gets more easily blown off target. You end up working upstream looking at the downstream side of your target or you can try to glimpse the upstream side as you fly back past. It is very fast in a straight line (so can hold position facing directly upstream in a much stronger current than the AC-ROV) but inspection is not a race. I didn’t find the limited vertical thrust to be a problem as reported by others. It takes a lot of practice to fly one well and the system used needed three hands on occasionally (2 for thrusters and one for the camera).

Positioning systems look good on paper but the Tritech MicronNav one I saw demonstrated was not accurate (“lots of interference” and the location jumped around a lot). Another system I’ve seen but not tried had blocks attached to the tether which looks like snag city to me. I’ll not be spending my money on them.

I’ve not tried the sonar.

As for cost, the sonar and positioning systems can cost as much as the basic ROV itself. For a £10k budget you’ll probably only be able to afford the basic ROV. On the other hand, if you are only going to need it a few times a year and have a limited budget, I’d recommend hiring or better still get a service company to help with the search. Then you don’t need to worry about maintenance of the unit.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Thanksall for the feedback, having read through them all plus had a look at various options I would say the Videoray Pro 3 XE GTO is looking favourite but may have to go for a slightly cheaper version of the 3.

The sonar I would suggest to them to hire ona job by job basis as it is not going to be used enough to justify the additional expense at least until it has proved to be a valuable tool.

I believe Grampian Police have an ROV, does anyone know what one it is they have? (ah hang on Ive just googled it – its a Videoray Pro 3 GTO!) They were donated it 2 years ago and have had a lot of help/support from Buccaneer in Aberdeen.

Ian MacDonald
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Just a quick reply / correction to the last post regarding Grampian police’s system.
    They have a PRO 3 GTO, fitted with micron sonar, they also have a KCF smart tether system which works well for tracking in harbours etc.
    Usually the system is used in conjunction with a Mesotech high res scanning sonar on a tripod or harbour skid (depending on the job)
    None of the above was donated – Grampian bought it all over a period of years as budget allowed and the worth of the equipment was proven.
    The VideoRay was initially supplied on a "try before you buy" as the force were somewhat careful as teh LBV they had previously (which had been donated) had unfortunatly suffered from some reliability issues. The VideoRay was paid for before the end of the trial period.
    The force will not (quite rightly) give any endorsement to any system either way.

I can be fairly sure of all the above – I sold it all to them!
    And yes we give them a bit of help and support – thats what a dealer is here to do in my book! – but now those guys are VERY profficent in teh use of all the kit and get outstanding results.
    If anyone wants to ask me for any details give me a call – (look up Buccaneer Limited)
    Hope this is some help 😆

Gubundo
    Participant

I do like the variety and specs of the videoray,
    although I have seen this micro rov here….

http://www.cetraxsystems.com/product_display.php?level=subcat&subcat=31&cat=3

I am awaiting for a price on the model, their is also a vectored version of it, I believe the designer of it is a pilot.

Cheers,

Senior $$ :mrgreen:

Hi Senior,

did you get info about Cetrax micro ROV Seeker ? (cost, specs, etc.)
    thanks ! 😉

Leonid
    Participant

take a look at http://82.193.140.11/k/diving.htm

it’s with video camera (angle of rotation of the operator’s command to 140 degrees);
    LED illuminator (adjustable illuminated area in front of the unit). Video system with illuminators provides visibility in the clear water in daylight the order of 15-20 m. When the lights underwater robot at full capacity in the clear water in the dark, visibility was 5-6 m.

also 24 volts, performing underwater work (video) with remote control surface to a depth of 50 meters and a length of cable up to 70 meters. Underwater robot is recommended to use at depths of 40-60 meters with a gentle flow.

The safe voltage – 24 V
    Easily replaced part
    More than half of parts – import
    triple margin of safety, which he acquired from older models
    Guaranteed by the depth to 70 meters
    Resolution of the camera 600 TVL
    Price will only 2,000 euros
    All connections on the connectors – easy to replace or attach Spare accessories (extra light, sonar, manipulator)
    12-inch monitor
    3 lamps on 5 watts
    50 m maximum depth
    50 meters cable length
    The entire set in one drawer, wardrobe trunk for transport opportunity to work not only on the 220 ​​but also on postoyanki 12-24V
    Almost all the details will be made ​​of plastic – will not rust
    All the electronics done with an emphasis on reliability
    1 year warranty
    Everything is on the connectors – you can buy everything
    separately – motors, camera, lights, cable reel and the board electronics

Main technical data of the underwater robot RB50:
    № Options Characteristic parameter:
    1. Overall dimensions of underwater robot 300мм×200мм×170мм
    2. Weight underwater vehicle (complete robot systems) 4,5 (34) кг
    3. Maximum operating depth 150 м
    4. External power supply 220-240V 50Hz, internal 48V, max 200Wt
    5. Ambient humidity до 100%
    6. Operating temperature: air (water) -5° … +45° ( 0° … +30° С )
    7. Number of propellers (pull-ups each) 3 ( 1,3 кг )
    8. Horizontal speed up to 1 m / s
    9. The rate of vertical motion up to 0,1 м/с
    10. Cable Length 50 meters

11. Price 2000 EUR

Leonid
    Participant

Paul
    Participant

I’ve not seen the RovBuilder in person so I cannot comment on the product but I’d like to comment on a couple things you posted:

First, the use of "24 volts" does not in and of itself make is use "safe". That’s a bit misleading.

Second, I just got a quote (10 days ago) for a RovBuilder RB150 (their lowest end model) and the price was 6961 euros ($9,100USD) not 2000 euros as you’ve posted.

Leonid
    Participant

..a little bit misunderstanding – RB50 is just a new model, maded for divers and yacht owners(24V). It is not 150 meters as RB150, – it is 50 meters only… Do you know – it slightly hard every 10 meter for ROV construction?

24 volt is ok, but you did not ask how much ampers are? )

Paul
    Participant

Is it rated to 50m or 150m? Your specs above say 150m. Hadn’t heard of the RB50, surprised Andrej didn’t mention it when we chatted a couple days ago. There’s no mention of it on their website.

…but you did not ask how much ampers are?

Yes, that’s my point exactly.

Brendan
    Participant

Ray,

Out of curiousity did that organisation choose to invest in any ROV?

It’s a bit late in the day for this, but i would have suggested side scan & divers.

Leonid
    Participant

..a little bit misunderstanding – RB50 is just a new model, maded for divers and yacht owners(24V). It is not 150 meters as RB150, – it is 50 meters only… Do you know – it slightly hard every 10 meter for ROV construction?

24 volt is ok, but you did not ask how much ampers are? )

rb50 is 50 meters, of course. Do ask Andrei about RB ) i told too much ))

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray,

Out of curiousity did that organisation choose to invest in any ROV?

It’s a bit late in the day for this, but i would have suggested side scan & divers.

Divers are too expensive to buy equipment and train, you also then need volunteers who want to do it.

They bought a Starfish Sidescan, not heard how successful they have been in its use yet.

Leonid
    Participant

so what? i am Divemaster PADI… and use it. we got here "dark green" water of Black sea, at dangerous places…
    I have only 9 minute by dive tables of time for being at 40 meter of scouting. And ROV could last almost forever…

Brendan
    Participant

@ Leonidy431

Was that last message directed at me??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar