Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion WHO TO NOT WORK FOR ?

WHO TO NOT WORK FOR ?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion WHO TO NOT WORK FOR ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    lewis
    Participant

Hey all, im just about to start applying(begging) for a stint as first time trainee, as my electrical apprecticeship is almost over. im based in oz and have been looking at the very few local operater’s first, but would love advice on who should be avoided worldwide(company wise) as ive read ss7 and oi are apparently more interested in monkeys than tradie’s/tech’s. any advice would be great. thanks Lewis

Perry Gurtin
    Participant

Hi Lewis,

I am hoping this is just "joke" email as with you not actually being a tradesman as of yet, slagging off companies that have been in buisness doing ROV work for years, it might be prudent to approach job hunting in a slow market with a little humility as a poor attitude is not a prerequisite.
    I am by no means telling you not to try but remember that SS7 is the biggest ROV employer in Australia and if you go to other parts of the world, then remember that the safety might not be so common and you will have to pay taxes even if you work in other countries because the taxman keeps pretty close count of workers in the offshore trades.

good luck,

Canuck1

lewis
    Participant

sorry canuck if this was presented in the wrong way. its just that i typed in -ss7- into the rov search and most of what i read was negative. by the way as far as being a tradie goes i consider myself an engineer. why just yeserday i nearly changed a push bike tyre all by by self;)

saphire7
    Participant

Its got to be a joke 🙄

If its not i don’t think SS7 or OI would take you on even after your bicycle apprenticeship finishes anyway because you sound as if your lower down in the evolutionary ladder than the primates………mate. 😀 😀

Brendan
    Participant

It’s obvious what the chap meant and what he was trying to do. You would be a proper monkey if you didn’t at least try and research the companies out there…

luckyjim37
    Participant

Seems like maybe the older members of the industry have projected their views onto the newbies.

To answer the question I think he rather badly worded. Most of the bigger companies are ok to work for and probably from the point of view of getting in the door might offer more opportunities. When starting out you have to go to everyone and take what you can get. Then once you have some experience it is much easier to move around the companies or go contracting if you prefer.

My advice when you do get offshore dont tell anyone you ROVworld username especially if end up working for SS7 after that opening post 🙂

baglimit
    Participant

My advice when you do get offshore dont tell anyone you ROVworld username especially if end up working for SS7 after that opening post 🙂

thru gritted teeth, tell them youre a ford man, and theyll never suspect it. lol.

lewis
    Participant

FORD its a dirty word. but that aside my message was badly worded there is no denying it. ive been reading through the forums for a few months now and i keep seeing references to oi or ss7 in a fairly poor light. ive got about 8 different companies to start sending cv’s to in the deserate hope i get somewhere , as im not to keen on coal mininganymore. and i would rarther work on some slightly smaller hydraulics than the hagglunds/flender drives we have where i am. il just have to wait and see.

DANFROV
    Keymaster

Dear Lewis,

I know this is being pernickety but if your CV wants to go past the Secretary opening the post maybe you should use a spell checker before sending your intro letter and CV.

If you intend to send your CV via e-mail it is also helpful with a filename that includes your name and possibly the fact it is a CV.

DanF

lewis
    Participant

Dear Lewis,

I know this is being pernickety but if your CV wants to go past the Secretary opening the post maybe you should use a spell checker before sending your intro letter and CV.

If you intend to send your CV via e-mail it is also helpful with a filename that includes your name and possibly the fact it is a CV.

DanF

DESERATE-TO-RARTHER DESPERATE TOO RATHER. accepted and corrected.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Dear Lewis,

DanF

Very good points Dan!

The use of all lower case, so called SMS text speak, or all Capital letters goes nowhere to helping either.

When writing or typing none of us are correct all the time.
    However, in general terms, for what is deemed a technical vocation, people need to sharpen their act up on that front.

Maris Subsea
    Participant

:raises hand:

Can I just second Dan’s post from the Agency point of view too please?

As you’re just starting out this may not be as relevant but please remember that us Agency hacks have feelings too…honest…. 😕

Ray Shields
    Participant

ive been reading through the forums for a few months now and i keep seeing references to oi or ss7 in a fairly poor light.

This can be more because they ARE such large companies that they have more employees hence you are going to see more postinga about them.

People tend to write on here complaining but not usually when praising.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Why don’t you start a new topic ……………….. Fantastic companies to work for 😀

luckyjim37
    Participant

[Why don’t you start a new topic ……………….. Fantastic companies to work for ]

Would anyone post on such a topic. I thought the whole point of working offshore was to complain about working offshore!!

But if such a topic was started P&O Maritime services (Ireland) Ltd would have to come top.
    The vessel crew’s are fantastic the work is a bit different from the norm and it is based in Ireland so the Guiness is tops.

The ROV department is currently very small and exclusive but will hopefully over the next couple of years develop rapidly.

The thing is Monaro a lot of guys don’t like the big companies with the your a number not a name attitude from the office. But for a foot in the door they are the best bet for getting started.

Jim.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar