Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Work/Working in Angola

Work/Working in Angola

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Work/Working in Angola

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

This is one carried over from the old forum

I’ve worked down that way on ships and barges in the past.
    Once you are offshore it’s not that much different than say working in Asia. The conditions vary from vessel to vessel, depending on how well funded the job is and who the main contractor is.

Just be a bit switched on if you go out at night when on the beach… You can have fun, but stick with a few guys from the job and don’t allow yourself to end up alone in some bar in the wee hours, unless you are in the Hotel that the agent puts you in.

Other than that…. make the most of it 🙂

regards
    James Mc

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

This is one carried over from the old forum

Agree with James.
    I worked in Angola twice, last time was in September 2003. Had no problems coming in or going out. Went out with friends in Luanda enjoyed myself and had no hassles.

In 2002 I worked in Lobito, inspection on a rig that was along side in the port, we went out quite regularly, no hassles.
    The beer in the hotels is quite expensive (about $5 a bottle), the beer in the bars and cafes is less then $1.
    If you get stuck in the airport for few hours on your way out, there is a VIP lounge you can use for $20.
    Do not use hotel phones for overseas calls. It is about $9 a minute. Very few cellular companies has roaming agreements with Angola.
    Since the civil war is over, you do not have to worry too much about being hijacked or whatever.

BEWARE OF BLAND PORTUGUESE FOOD (YUCK) 👿

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Obviously eating in the wrong places… been living in Portugal for the last three years and the foods not that bad! 😕

Gina

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Bland Portuguese food? Not sure who originally wrote that but…….

Were they comparing it with the internationally acclaimed famous mouth-watering, exciting, tasty, British cuisine??

luckyjim37
    Participant

So what is wrong with British cusine. You Guys and Girls who live in these exotic places must surley miss the delights found in a good old fashioned British fish and chip shop. Now with modern delights such as deep fried Mars Bars and at Easter Deep fried Cream Eggs. mmmmmmmmmm.

So take your fancy Paella and decidant capachio and stuff it where the sun always shines Im off down the chippy.

All the best stuff is British 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar