Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Workclass ROV Ideal ROV console layout?

Workclass ROV Ideal ROV console layout?

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Workclass ROV Ideal ROV console layout?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DANFROV
    Keymaster

We are looking into new ROV consoles layouts for future Workclass ROV’s.

I was hoping for some comments on what is good or bad with today’s consoles.

What features are missing?

What features are really handy?

Large / small screens?

Manipulator feedback

Etc..

DanFrov

rovnumpty
    Participant

Ooh oh.

Don’t do it!

Can of worms Dan. Oil drum of worms in fact.

Involved with some of this stuff a couple of years ago. Ask 20 people and get 20 different answers.

Essentially the ‘old boys’ liked lots and lots of flippy switches and the joystick on the console. The ‘new scrotes’ preferred the the ergonomic style – joystick built into the chair and touchscreens for switches.

personally, I reckon we’re still pretty much in the dark ages when it comes to console design – anyone seen some of the new DP chairs you get on the bridge?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

But one and all have to say touch screens suck as you can only do ONE FUNCTION AT A TIME (some of us can do 3 to 5 operations at a time when it hits the proverbial fan!). Ergonomic control containers have seen too many budget cutbacks. For these 2 things – all else doesn’t matter to me personally.

Ray Shields
    Participant

It may be because I’m old 😀 but I too do not like touch screens or anything where you have to go through menus to get to do simple things like turn a light on or off!

I’m with Scott where you can use one hand to operate 2 hydraulic functions while using the rest of your arm to push a P&T joystick!

Its mainly about what you get used to though.

rovnumpty
    Participant

You hit the nail on the head Scott.

It all comes down to cost.

basic 19" racks. Basic console attached. Joystick on console. and touchscreen for switches. = Cheap as possible.

It’ll still cost you $2-3 million to buy though.

Some thoughts for you Dan.

ergonomic chairs with built in joysticks: fanatstic to sit in and a lot less tiring. You need two of them though to make swapping pilots in a hurry easier.

Touchscreens: As mentioned by some of the ‘old boys’, one function at a time and impossible to use with oily hands. Extremely cheap though and much easier to re-configure.

Proper switches: experiend pilot can operate several functions at a time without taking their attention away from what’s happening. Inexperienced pilots can spend all day trying to find the right switch though.

Best thing I’ve seen – touchscreen control for your video switcher. makes labellinbg things a doddle

Manipulator feedback? haven’t seen that in a very long time. Suppose if someone actually got it to work right, might be useful.

Large screens are the best. If you go for a video splitter , spend the money and get a broadcast quality one. The cheaper ones are impossible to use subsea- especially with the SIT camera

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would also point out that you get what you pay for with cheap flatscreens. You really need good quality ones to get the same picture quality as even old 14" CRTs when it comes to video pictures.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Numpty,

Too true about the video switcher – great idea!

Ray,

CRTs were always the best!

Stephen Black
    Participant

and it must be repairable on the job.

Lloyd Todd
    Participant

Dan,

Old school switches & pots get my vote everytime there cheap and easy to repair offshore.

Mad-dog

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Dan,

Old school switches & pots get my vote everytime there cheap and easy to repair offshore.

Mad-dog

….Or otherwise the system would have to have spare touch screens in stock….

Lloyd Todd
    Participant

Scot,

Yes in a idea world but you know you cannot call into the local store for a touch screen, plus i dont need my glasses for a switch lol.

Mad-dog

chand12
    Participant

One of the good post..

Andy Shiers
    Participant

The term " Finger trouble" comes to mind when buggering around with touch screens 🙂
    Is it on …………… or………… Is it off ! 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Nah Lost…. My greatest criticism of touchscreens is thst it – is – one – thing – at – a – time and not3thingsatatime.

Lloyd Todd
    Participant

Dan,

42" touch screen console that might work with no menu to go through
    just a copy of the switchs (on or off) plus sliders in the same layout?
    and a wireless joy stick food for thought gents this was after a few beers.

Cheers

MD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar