Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance Working in Uk and staying in South Africa

Working in Uk and staying in South Africa

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance Working in Uk and staying in South Africa

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Morne
    Participant

Slayered Here

Do anyone know how the tax will work when i stay in South Africa and work in the Uk. Will I be paying for South Africa Tax or will I be paying for Uk tax. Will I have to pay both countries.

Cheers

Slayered ❓

ROVRatt
    Participant

There are several ROV guys doing this. Those I know pay no tax. However, you will require a South African permanent residence certificate to open a bank account to transfer money into in South Africa.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Whoops, read it wrong way round. South African tax law allows you to not pay tax if you spend 183 days out of the country per year. Of the 183 days, 60 must be continiuos. Days entering and leaving South Africa are not counted as out of the country days.

Morne
    Participant

Slayered Here

Ok but do I still need to pay tax to the countries where I am going to work?

madddawg
    Participant

yebo slayered,

rovratt got it rite…183 days out of rsa. 60days is only required if you do not have a seamans book. i paid noggie tax while in norway but got almos all of refunded. depends on how long you stay there

madddawg

Morne
    Participant

Slayered here

I have worked tax free before ( Dit the 183 days and had to do the 60 day stint to get my tax free when I worked in Namibia bud it is a new one aboud the seamens book I never new that) Madddawg how dit you get the tax paid for norway back.

Cheers

ROVRatt
    Participant

There are two paragraphs regarding offshore work in South African Tax law.

The first, 183 days spent out of the country of which 60 must be continious applies to South African taxpayers working anywhere in the world except for those in the next paragraph:

The second paragraph is aimed at the maritime industry and applies to those working on vessels at sea with a seamans book. These persons need only do 183 days out of the country. The 60 days continious do not apply.

Best find out your foreign tax liabilities from the countries you intend working in.

Morne
    Participant

Slayered here

Is the maritime law not just for people that are in the safe passage of the vessel and the other people will still need to do the 60 days.

Cheers

Slayered

Ray Shields
    Participant

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/south_africa.htm

and

http://www.law.wayne.edu/tad/Documents/Tax_treaties/UK-s-africa.pdf

gives details of the double tax agreement between the UK and South Africa

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar