Home Forums General General Board Working out of Egypt

Working out of Egypt

Home Forums General General Board Working out of Egypt

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

and as far as the Cell phone policy goes whats the best thing to do cause I would like to have one for travelling?

Your three choices are:

1) Leave it with your companys agent
    2) leave it with the despatcher (they give you an envelope, you stick it inside and write your name and rig on it, its kept in a not very secure box in the despatchers office
    3) hide it in amongst your belongings (inside your boots i=stuffed with dirty socks is good!)

With any option, take the SIM card out so at least if you lose the phone you still have the card (and no-one can run up bills on your card).

Some people started with 1), then went onto 2) and eventually did like all the Egyptians do 3).

Just make sure you hide it away before getting to the airport.

The security check is at teh entrance where they x ray everything, you normally have to take every little bit of metal off to stop the arch beeping.

Also beware of any "lads mags". FHM, Nuts etc. will have security showing some interest, anything "stronger" and you will have it take off you, assuming they look inyour bag (sometimes they do sometimes they dont)

Egypt is fine, its certainly nowhere in the West Africa league.

joeboy
    Participant

I was working in egypt for a 4 weeker in Feb/March this year on the burrulus contract. It was ok, flew into alex via athens, immigration is a pain to get offshore. I thought the locals were sound, no hassle. Didn’t like a night club where we could not speak to the women that were there. Stood at the bar had a single beer realised how rubbish it is to be discriminated against and left before the red rage descended. Still its not my culture so each to their own. I’d go back and its waaayyyyyy safer than the old W.A Ak shuffle.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Didn’t like a night club where we could not speak to the women that were there. Stood at the bar had a single beer realised how rubbish it is to be discriminated against and left before the red rage descended. Still its not my culture so each to their own. I’d go back and its waaayyyyyy safer than the old W.A Ak shuffle.

Its a Muslim country, be thankful they actually HAVE nightclubs and beer!

If you stay at the Sheraton or Palastine in Alex, the nightclubs usually have their own Russian/Eastern Block hookers hanging around.

If you want to go to the bar where they filmed the beer scene in Ice Cold in Alex, the hotel is the Cecil. If you work in Alex or spend any amount of time there, make enquiries about the Portugese Club ( I did have a card with the address but cant find it). It is the local Expat club/bar in Alex. Good food good beer, usually sports on the TV, better value than the local bars.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Always make sure you have a very large swin-ish meal prior to entering the above said – related- um -er… r….e…l///i/// geous types countries and deposit waste closest to most revered temple.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Looking back at your last 2 messages, have you had several too many Singas Scott?

Being able to eat pork is not a problem in Egypt, it is available. A very large percentage of Egyptians are Christians also. Pork is regularly served on the offshore boats and rigs.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Looking back at your last 2 messages, have you had several too many Singas Scott?

Being able to eat pork is not a problem in Egypt, it is available. A very large percentage of Egyptians are Christians also. Pork is regularly served on the offshore boats and rigs.

Correct on 2 counts!!

Indeed, the Scabby 6 had some scabby sausages and bacon – apparently "very dear"… blah, blah re: milking whomever, whenever…

joeboy
    Participant

Spent a couple of nights in the portugese club, nice pool table and the people working there were very helpful. Any taxi driver will know how to get you there, great big comfy seats as well! The club not the taxi…..

Anonymous

I have done a fair bit off Egypt, firstly with oceaneering in 2000, then i have been back a fair bit,

its WAY better than west Africa!! the biggest problem i have is that EVERYBODY is always saying "you have tip for me my friend"???

But i have worked in a lot worse, loads of USELESS trainees as well,

I think any Muppet can get a job with impresub, there is a ex army guy out for them just now and he has done a 5 month hitch!! BONKERS!! and the best bit is he now thinks as he has done so much time he is now a supervisor!!!
    in those 5 months i doubt he has done 20 hours flying…………

MADNESS!!!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Yes indeed, there’s a lot of madness out there. BBW (big bloody world initit..)

And yes, still on the chang stuff w/ red wine………. 🙄

Alex Kerr
    Participant

h20,
    "a tip for me my friend", – try things like my own personal fevourite – respond with something like "never tie your shoes in a revolving door!" it usually draws a quizical look and then they wander away, generally never to be seen again. 😆

There is indeed a lot of madness out there, but African madness is particularly mad!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

h20,
    "a tip for me my friend", – try things like my own personal fevourite – respond with something like "never tie your shoes in a revolving door!" it usually draws a quizical look and then they wander away, generally never to be seen again. 😆

There is indeed a lot of madness out there, but African madness is particularly mad!

And deadly… be careful!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Found the card for the Portugese Club. Highly recommended for anyone spending any time ashore in Alexandria as they have good drinkl good food, satellite tv, expats etc.

Centro De Portugal
    42 Abed El-Kader Ragab Street
    Telephone 5327599

Its an expat club, you pay something like EGP5 to go in and then you buy a book of tickets for your drinks.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Found the card for the Portugese Club. Highly recommended for anyone spending any time ashore in Alexandria as they have good drinkl good food, satellite tv, expats etc.

Centro De Portugal
    42 Abed El-Kader Ragab Street
    Telephone 5327599

Its an expat club, you pay something like EGP5 to go in and buy a book of tickets for your drinks.

Never been… IF I Ever get back there, may have a go!

T-Boy
    Participant

How bizarre…cleaning out my wallet prior to flying and found a "Centro De Portugal" card lurking behind some free beer tokens for the Castaways" bar in the Phils.8O
    The C.D.P is good for a few jars…ah the wee book of tokens for the beers….can’t rememeber much more than that!

The Hilton Hotel in Alexandria is tip-top, good shops and good food, coffee and sheeshas.

Egypt, when all said and done is a bit of a hole, the people are pretty good though in my experience, as long as you have travelled a bit and are streetwise.

I’d go back tomorrow!

matt buxton
    Participant

Looks like I have a couple good things to see do when i get there.

Anyhow right now just sitting at home going broke, with the company man playing the "oh you will go in 10 days"………. like I haven’t heard that one lately.

anyhow thanks for the tips

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar