Home Forums General General Board Americans

Americans

Home Forums General General Board Americans

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TheBaron
    Participant

My tuppence worth would be to say that most of the Americans(USA) types that I work with now are a world apart from the coonass mofo’s that were still lingering around in the late 90’s. The current batch have a better grasp of management skills, people skills, current affairs and have learned not to take the banter so seriously. The latter being one of the greater sources of cultural divide/friction. Bear in mind that most thinking Americans(USA) that are out working in the world, as opposed to the’world’, are ashamed of their governments foreign/domestic policy, but have a strong sense of patriotism which can lead to heated debate. This is exacerbated by the erosion of their freedom, which they were once so proud of(quite rightly). It actually pains me to hear the line, "…in the land of the free…." at the end of their anthem, as it is an outright contradiction.
    Brits backstab;
    Yanks brag;
    Antipodeans whinge;
    I rant(a load of shite?!.

Murray Blom
    Participant

Well, The Baron von slackingofatomeagan, I think the last line (I rant(a load of shite?!.)) says it all 😀

And I don’t ‘whinge’, not unless you are trying to make me buy you yet another round……

Yeh the old red neck barge crowd were quite a laugh weren’t they ❗

TheBaron
    Participant

ROVsuper, you’re whinging now! How’s it going bud? I’ll be in the same waters as you, with the same crowd as you, but on a different skip in about 3-4 days. As usual, I’ll buy! What was yours again? A daiquiri, you say!!!!!!

piedpiper
    Participant

I’m an American and I’ve gotten so used to the world slaggin’ us that I’ve become impervious to it all. Tho’ I’ve spoken out a few times… See my other posts. Still say it’s mostly penis envy tho’….

Scotbeve

please just stop replying back to him then.

excuse me chaps, that is not my quote, (see above) it is scotbeve. I am not an American I am British.

piedpiper

Cabledog
    Participant

Fellas,

Not all yanks are as bad as they are made out, away from "the states" granted they can be a pain with all that whoopin’ an hollerin’ malarky but at home they are quite hospitable and nothing is to much trouble to try and make you feel at home. (been on the receiving end of this many times during my travels over there)

They are very like us Brits really accept for the simple fact that americans cannot drink any more that 2 bottles of bud lite before falling over!!!!!
    😥 😥
    Keep smiling 😆

TheProphet
    Participant

There anthem should be;

Land of the Burger
    Home of the Fat Barsteward!

Good ole Blighty 😆

Murray Blom
    Participant

Baron, That will be a double strawberry daiquiri thank you not the usual shite you try to ply me with 😀

Thought you spat the dummy and threw all your toys out of the crib saying you would never work here again unless the pile of crape paper was substantially increased??? 😛

Come now tell Mummy all about it ❗

R2D2
    Participant

Well said Baron.

I’ve been brushing shoulders with Americans for 3 years and living in the US for nearly 2 years now. Best working years of my life.

It is very much as you describe. Most obvious is the very little moaning…"so there is a problem ?… let US fix it and get on with it" attitude. No slagging of equipment in front of the client. No slagging other crew. More surprisingly, Supervisor involvement. THAT must sound strange to many out there.

Everyone works at what is required, then takes a breather.. no pointless feigning "heroics".
    The locals are surprisingly hospitable and tollerant to a point. They welcome the rest of the world who are clamouring to earn a few Yoo Ess Dollhaas here. It’s like the bloody United Nations. Hard to find a Redneck!

It is difficult to understand NASCAR and Football and I yearn for some Commonwealth-type banter n humour ( see…. antipod’s not excluded ) but all-in-all it is GOOD to be here, working with ‘them’.
    ( One exception : the buggers that swapped out my M&M’s last night for 10mm Nylok Nuts 🙁 )

Now, just to fuel the fire for some of those out there; I’m a Rebel Rhodesian ( from Africa, for those that are too young to know ) That should get the few Fairies out there screeming with comments …. so what, go for it. You’ve got nothing better to do & I’ve got a thick skin n’ then more.

Have fun.

Until another time ……

TheBaron
    Participant

Ha ha ha!!! Hey ROVsouper, nothing like the gossip mill in full operation! Good to see it’s as efficient as ever. My dummy is firmly secured in my kisser, and my toys are too heavy to throw anywhere. As for working for money…….pah!!! I frinkin’ well do it for the love of it. I had/have issues with some of the tourists that frequent some of the areas that I’ve worked, but that’s quite localised and I’ve learned to just steer clear of that sordid little mess. Anyway, I have huge amounts of toilet paper coming my way later this year, and I think you are privvy to the source. I’ll chat with ya soon.

TheBaron
    Participant

R2D2, I can’t resist this one. Here’s a little puzzle for you to solve:
    F U N E X ?
    S!
    F U N E M?
    S!
    N L F X N M

Answers on a postcard to Tiswas, ATV Land, Birmingham, B1 2JP

Lostboy, don’t spoil it for everyone!

R2D2
    Participant

You’ve go me there vonProff. !

Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione quadraturae circuli.
    ( Futile is the labor of those who fatigue themselves with calculations to square the circle )

Which reminds me of a bloke who sunk so many boats, he eventually named his new one; "Phuckedifeyeno"

Scientia est potentia – so, please sir, pray tell ?

Cheers,
    r2d2

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😯

Murray Blom
    Participant

Hey R2D2, I like the line "More surprisingly, Supervisor involvement. "

I can’t remember the last time I could let the ‘crew’ fix the bloody thing, most of them hadn’t seen a ROV more than once or twice before…..

Sorry Baron, can read the first 4 lines but the 5th makes no sense…. but then a lot of what you say makes no sense….. I.E. you don’t like LBFM’s who could not like them???????????????????????????

TheBaron
    Participant

Okay, okay! I’m not going to put you out of your combined mysery yet, but proffer a clue:
    Say the letters in an accent similar to a Rhodesian/Sood Effriken.

Still makes me laugh thinking about it. I had a few ‘Rhodesian’ buddies in the military, whilst in some pooey locales, but they absolutely loved every ‘kin moment of it!!! Rare breed of folk, they be.

R2D2
    Participant

Good un B

Have you any eggs ?
    Yes!
    Have you any ham?
    Yes!

Then I’ll have some of them?

Struth boet, That killed a few brain cells 😕

What’s the answer? Do I get 200 & pass Go?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar