Home Forums General General Board Do Divers make better Pilots ?

Do Divers make better Pilots ?

Home Forums General General Board Do Divers make better Pilots ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Axeman
    Participant

Nice one ROVBionic, LostBoy, ROVWhiner, James etc

“No offence” MechTech but just because you wrap a turd in a silk handkerchief and try to pass it as the right “attitude”, does not make it so. The worst sort of offshore low life is the noddie who smiles and who won’t contribute to the team effort done by “big hard men”, and stands on the sidelines and attempts to poison a whole team. I’m sure you’re not like that.

To all those that think divers (assuming prior trade) or others with related skills cannot contribute to the ROV industry – GET OVER IT!

Like most other “old farts” here, you will eventually learn its all about being a team member with the right ATTITUDE, KNOWLEDGE and EFFORT that keeps the money coming in and enjoyable for all involved.

NEWBIES take note – keep gob shut, listen and learn.

😈 AXEMAN 😈

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Hey , That’s my line ! 😯

SGB
    Participant

I would like to think that attitudes have changed since the time I was last involved with ex divers. It was the time when the company I was employed with then had them as Bridge Supervisors on ROV construction work, now I am not saying their experience and knowledge of certain operations did not warrant that position but transfering their man management skills did.
    A case in question was when the mux board failed and having no spare onboard (logistics were on a go slow), the advice was to get one (ideally two) shipped out asap. The vessel was due a port call in a few days so the recommendation was to bring it forward so the mux boards could be delivered then. The Bridge Supervisors demanded that the board be fixed offshore and recommended to the beach that the crew be replaced if we couldn’t. Maybe this hire and fire mentality was prevalent in the dive industry but totally out of place with ROV operations. I have not worked with ex divers since, by chance that is and not from a personal request.
    I hope that because of more deeper water operations the ex diver / supervisor can have some sort of career within the same company and perhaps keep their offshore grade, but to rule the roost with no experience of the technical aspects of ROVs with the same mentality which is accepted in the dive industry needs to be seriously addressed

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I agree with you there old chap 😀
    Bridge Supervisor is actually a way to put incompetant people on a higher wage packet.
    It also is a word termed by the yanks and I do not except it 👿
    You have Supervisors then you have a Superintendant , That’s it !
    No cock and bull "Bridge Supervisors" " Team Leaders " or " OCM "
    "Senior Opps controller" crap
    The " Bridge Supervisor " thing is actually not that old , maybe reared it’s head ten years ago that’s all.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Does that go for me as well Reterm ?

LukeD
    Participant

Sounds like personal animosity to me 😕

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I have just deleted a post because it degenerated into personal abuse which is totally out of order as far as I am concerned.

Look guys… it’s not hard. If you disagree with someone’s opinion then please post a constructive response and the debate will continue.

Have a laugh by all means but there is no need to start getting stuck into anyone, on a personal level, via this Forum. If you do have a personal problem with someone go and have a chat with them face to face or phone them up and sort it out, but keep it off of here please.

Ex diver? Ex student, ex-electrician, ex-hydraulics tech, whatever… we are all ex-something or other so no matter so, who thinks what, it still goes right back to whether an individual has what it takes by way or personal ability, experience, training or, more than likely, a combination of all those.

Anonymous

Do Divers make better pilots??.Than who??
    What the F__k are you on about?>
    What the F–k difference does it make weather you are a diver or a dishwasher if you dont have some kind of technical background related to ROV,s and dont have the apptidude to learn to fly,then whats the point.
    The tide will turn in the near future and the weeding out will begin…………

Sarcy
    Participant

B52 – what??????????????

For the record, I have worked with a few ex bubbleheads in my time, some were ok some were not. If you can get past the "my cat is blacker than your cat" bollox and so long as they can keep their Rolex, fake or not, out of the way then they are ok.

I just thought that anyone who has not had the experience as far as working with divers should not be offering an opinion on the matter. Maybe learning how not to over tighten hydraulic fittings might be a better use of their/his time… 😉

Anonymous

On the subject of over tightening hydraulic fittings.Does anyone know
    why some qualified tradespersons ??,seem to think it necessary to tighten up JIC fittings with a hammer and flogging spanner?,wheres the common sense….

Anonymous

Depends on the size of the JIC, if you dont have a crush washer and it is the main return to the comp, then you sometimes have too if it wont stop weeping. If you are tallking about a #4,6,8 JIC etc then the guy doing it needs his nuts tightened with a hammer and a flogging spanner……..

Sarcy
    Participant

hammer and flogging spanner? Now there is a use for a diver!!!!!!!!!! 😛

Murray Blom
    Participant

A good use for a diver or more to the point of the thread EX-diver…

Well I just had one, (in the term of ‘he was my P/T’ not what ever crude sort of thing you are thinking) who was really good at getting in the tea’s…. 😆

But seriously, if that is possible in this forum… There are some really good ex-divers out there, as well as ex-grave diggers, ex-shop fitters, ex-military (though they normally have some sort of relevant trade 😀 ) and plenty of other ex-‘s.

There are also some long time ROV personnel who are not worth the space their little finger occupies. At least when you get some seniority (10 years +++) and have developed a little common sense, happen to work for a company where the Op’s manager/Personnel manager is bright enough to ask your opinion on new hires you get the chance to weed out the dregs. 😀

Happy weeding to the lucky one out there, commiserations to the rest of you!!!!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

To all those that think divers (assuming prior trade) or others with related skills cannot contribute to the ROV industry – GET OVER IT!

Like most other “old farts” here, you will eventually learn its all about being a team member with the right ATTITUDE, KNOWLEDGE and EFFORT that keeps the money coming in and enjoyable for all involved.

NEWBIES take note – keep gob shut, listen and learn.

😈 AXEMAN 😈

HEAR!! HEAR!! Axeman pretty much spot on! Especially the Newbies shut the farqin’ gob part!!!

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

I’ve worked many diver support jobs over the years and found that with the right guys it can be a very rewarding experience. I’ve also known many ex and current divers who have done very well in the ROV industry. I think that attitudes changed from the diving fraternity when they realised that far from ROVs being a threat to their lively hood they are a tool that when utilized correctly can make their jobs easier! I’ll work with anyone who is willing to contribute to the combined efforts of the team regardless of background. It still dismays me to see the bitching that goes on in this site sometimes, I’m up for the krak same as the next guy but some contributers to this site really need to pull their heads out of their arses!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar