Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Employment after ROV course!!

Employment after ROV course!!

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Employment after ROV course!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Hilbert i Grogv
    Participant

Just out of curiosity. How many members on here have attended one of the ROV training centres/schools and did not succeed in being employed after the course.

By that I mean several months later…..maybe 5-10 months or more. Or maybe gave up?

Waterrov

liddelljohn
    Participant

I have met in my travels 9 guys who admit to doing the ROV courses 2 got jobs quickly due to having family in the industry 2 got trainee positions after 2-3 months 3 waited over a year before getting postions and 2 gave up after spending £5000+ that has to hurt .

mustafa bigen
    Participant

I think it may be easier to find people that did the course and then got work and are established in the industry. Also what there pre qualifications where that may have got them in without doing the course in the first place.

luckyjim37
    Participant

It took me six months to get a start after the course.

bt
    Participant

Over a year to get a job, don’t know why people would expect to walk into a job just cause they’ve done an induction course.

Hilbert i Grogv
    Participant

It took me about a year me as well. Been working non stop for more than 2 years now. No family in the industry but just got lucky….right time right place.

I have nothing against these schools as I attended one myself. It’s just the fact that there are not a that many jobs, and the training centres give out diplomas to maybe 10-20 people every 3-4 weeks. There must be several hundreds…thousands.

I just think that people that decide to give it a try, and pay all that money, should know what they are up against.

I have also seen some Project Managers inbox after putting an ad on Rovworld…….damn. If you remember Bruce Almighty’s inbox 🙂

Etienne Demers
    Participant

One person must ask himself what do I have that makes me stand out of the crowd?

An ROV course means nothing if you are up against someone who has a diploma in a related trade. Such as Electronics, mechanics, IT etc.

If you plan on going on an ROV course without having any other credentials, than you are most likely wasting your money.

I would definitely invest on hydraulics courses instead as it only take 12 weeks to be accredited cost about 8K USD and is quite valuable offshore. At best, most ROV guys get by with hydraulics.

Having an hydraulic wiz is very appealing.

My advice for someone who wants to invest to get in this industry:

Get an hydraulic certification
    Get your offshore survival course and medical

Start applying in person in the summer period (May to Aug) if you still haven’t found any work, then get your ROV course.

Just getting the ROV course, in my opinion, is a waste of dosh.

Rovned
    Participant

I wouldn’t count someone who’d done a 12-week hydraulic course as a "wiz". In fact I wouldn’t let him touch anything.

It is ridiculous to consider this kind of "instant expert" in the same context as someone who has served an apprenticeship or has long-term practical experience.

"I’m mechanical" seems to be the cry taken up by the non-technical once offshore, due to the fact that their career (or life) will be rapidly shortened by proclaiming electrical knowledge.

The bottom line seems to be that most companies these days seem to have tightened up their trainee requirements (finally) and anyone not possessing a trade is wasting time and money on courses, especially in the current climate.

Harsh but true?

Ray Shields
    Participant

An ROV course means nothing if you are up against someone who has a diploma in a related trade. Such as Electronics, mechanics, IT etc.

I agree, however what if you have a diploma and experience in a related trade AND have attended an ROV training school? Would you be more likely to get a job than not having attended one?

I think we are all in agreement that attending one of the schools on its own is not adequate to get a start in ROVs. Unfortunately most of the schools advertise it as if it is.

Forums such as these are a good place to warn people who do not have a suitable background of technical skills or experience that the schools will not be enough to get a job and to advise them as to exactly what is needed.

I also agree that coming straight out of doing a hydraulics course would not make you a "wiz" the same as any other vocational course would not. You need to start with than and then use it to gain the experience with it.

The majority of work that we carry out on ROVs offshore does not require a super high qualification such as a Degree. We are there to maintain and repair, not to design.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ray & all,

I agree with Ray 100% here in saying that a bona-fide trade as well as some time in service of one’s vocational skill is absolutely necessary in our field. The ROV systems are not, and never will be X-boxes or Playstations with auto-repair capabilities. Please keep this in mind all of you wannabees. I’m not a UK citizen but I was just as perplexed as anyone in the UK when the government dropped the apprenticeship scheme. It’s a brilliant idea and there were quite a few good folks walking out of school after graduating with a good sense of work ethics as well as SOME hands-on experience. Some of those young people stayed on with the company they trained at… A shame it’s no longer….

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Hi guys,

I did not mean that a 12 week course makes a wiz out of anyone. Just that having one is always a bonus. A trainee is still a trainee and like any other thing, experience and a good head is required to be competent.

Having said that, I have met a few guys who have been through the course I am speaking of and their level of hydraulic knowledge exceeded ROV requirements. Once these guys had a few years under their belt, they were a lot more use than anyone coming out as mechanical.

Personal experience mind you. Still, I would choose a certified htech with no experience over any guy that has just the ROV course.

I have had my share of trainees and have never really notice anything special about a guy with an ROV training course. Having said that companies really like them, I guess it looks good on paper.

lol Before you know it they will make it mandatory and all us old punters will have to go back to school. This industry is stupid enough for it.

Anyway, just giving my opinion here. Do with it what you like.

Cheers

Donald Faulds
    Participant

ROV training courses are as good as the length they run and the things they do in that time. Usually that means a bit of everything and at least a basic grounding in safety but few if any are going to give the skills to dock a work-class to a moving TMS!

I totally agree that a newbie needs to bring something else. I look for High Voltage training, Industrial Hydraulics or working with aircraft or weapons systems – this last one always seems to transfer well to ROVs.

(You also need a little bit of luck to get your first break).

Andy Shiers
    Participant

ANY course is as good as the length they run EXCEPT when dealing with OUR INDUSTRY ……………….. ROV’S.
    YOU CANNOT teach someone about Flying the ROV in a classroom.
    The BEST Technical courses are from the ROV Manufacturer.
    Simulators are just that………….. Computer games ……….. Xbox !
    Training hours are Training hours "On the spot" Offshore…………. Live…………… eventful , challenging and expensive 😯 Anything other than the "Real Deal" is not helpful apart from lining greedy Bastards pockets 👿
    Unless your a cloth eared Muppet ….. of course 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

ROV training courses are as good as the length they run and the things they do in that time. Usually that means a bit of everything and at least a basic grounding in safety but few if any are going to give the skills to dock a work-class to a moving TMS!

I totally agree that a newbie needs to bring something else. I look for High Voltage training, Industrial Hydraulics or working with aircraft or weapons systems – this last one always seems to transfer well to ROVs.

(You also need a little bit of luck to get your first break).

Don,

Aircraft experience is really attractive on a new CV or resume… nuff said.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

ANY course is as good as the length they run EXCEPT when dealing with OUR INDUSTRY ……………….. ROV’S.
    YOU CANNOT teach someone about Flying the ROV in a classroom.
    The BEST Technical courses are from the ROV Manufacturer.
    Simulators are just that………….. Computer games ……….. Xbox !
    Training hours are Training hours "On the spot" Offshore…………. Live…………… eventful , challenging and expensive 😯 Anything other than the "Real Deal" is not helpful apart from lining greedy Bastards pockets 👿
    Unless your a cloth eared Muppet ….. of course 😀

Lost,

They wouldn’t want me a a simulator controller – for surrre dude – 100% failure rate, full stop! I think you know this…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar