Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Employment after ROV course!!

Employment after ROV course!!

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Employment after ROV course!!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Donald Faulds
    Participant

ROV training courses are as good as the length they run and the things they do in that time. Usually that means a bit of everything and at least a basic grounding in safety but few if any are going to give the skills to dock a work-class to a moving TMS!

I totally agree that a newbie needs to bring something else. I look for High Voltage training, Industrial Hydraulics or working with aircraft or weapons systems – this last one always seems to transfer well to ROVs.

(You also need a little bit of luck to get your first break).

Don,

Aircraft experience is really attractive on a new CV or resume… nuff said.

Scot, if you haven’t worked on ROVs before then the experience of working on weapons systems, aircraft systems or dive tech is a good basis – if nothing else it teaches you how to use a crimp tool and trace faults and work systematically through the system. These skills are often lacking in trained "pilots".

What’s so odd about that? I have met more ex-RAF and ex-Navy in ROV crews than anywhere else. What’s your suggestion – more time at Fort William – I think not. cheers

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

ROV training courses are as good as the length they run and the things they do in that time. Usually that means a bit of everything and at least a basic grounding in safety but few if any are going to give the skills to dock a work-class to a moving TMS!

I totally agree that a newbie needs to bring something else. I look for High Voltage training, Industrial Hydraulics or working with aircraft or weapons systems – this last one always seems to transfer well to ROVs.

(You also need a little bit of luck to get your first break).

Don,

Aircraft experience is really attractive on a new CV or resume… nuff said.

Scot, if you haven’t worked on ROVs before then the experience of working on weapons systems, aircraft systems or dive tech is a good basis – if nothing else it teaches you how to use a crimp tool and trace faults and work systematically through the system. These skills are often lacking in trained "pilots".

What’s so odd about that? I have met more ex-RAF and ex-Navy in ROV crews than anywhere else. What’s your suggestion – more time at Fort William – I think not. cheers

Don,

I wasn’t being sarcastic… I really mean that – I’d grab an aircraft tech (any discipline) anyday before a "full blown" uni grad. There’s also the self-discipline attained whilst in the military we should add…And I’m not going to delve into ROV schools right now – sore point in my book. I was in avionics BTW

Iain Gartshore
    Participant

I was a car technician for 15 years and before that a infantry soldier and I got a job straight away as a trainee no problem, all I did was my survival and Medical off my own back.

I have met loads of ex forces guys and car techs seem to be the most sort of suitable guys for this sort of role.

Know a few guys who did the training school thing and got bugger all out of it job wise.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar