Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Experienced and still sitting at home?

Experienced and still sitting at home?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Experienced and still sitting at home?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Well either you aren’t trying or you’re waiting for that £500 a day offer 🙂

Right now in the UK at least, there doesn’t seem to be many Agency guys available. Where are they all, working? Or it could be they are not willing to work for the money being offered (dunno what that is before you ask).

If any experienced people still looking I would suggest contacting a certain Dutch based ROV firm in Aberdeen, as they seem to be rather short right now 🙂

But on a brighter note, i have since organised my own relief and will be back on dry land on Tuesday! 😀

me
    Participant

Ray
    What bodyshop??
    BTW its not gonna be me i’m in Asia 😕

ROV_HAND
    Participant

what company is that ? PM me !

luckyjim37
    Participant

Have a look back through years of contributions from Ray if you cut him in half the name of the dutch company would be printed on him like a stick of rock.

me
    Participant

Young Man, it start with F

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Oh come on Ray.. play fair.. you’re getting them all excited 😉 🙂

From Underwater Great Recovery Operations are the people you are looking for.

Ray Shields
    Participant

That’s a more polite version than the one I usually say James, 😀

And if you cannot figure out which company, or know what Agencies are generally used, I suggest you do not come under the "experienced enough" category I’m afraid.

Which bodyshop? err, whichever UK one you normally work through. But, yes, I am talking UK not Asia.

me
    Participant

Hi
    They still dont want to take people on living in Asia i guess, maybe thats why Rumic, Subserv, UKPS dont say anything
    Dont like the North Sea anyway

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hi
    They still dont want to take people on living in Asia i guess, maybe thats why Rumic, Subserv, UKPS dont say anything
    Dont like the North Sea anyway

Very few companies nowadays will fly someone from an Agency, unless they have an ongoing arrangement or really really need them, half way round the world. Especially if there are people closer to hand.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

It’s the same old cyclical thing…. when times are slow and company purse strings are tight employees are all the rage and agency peeps appear not to be seen as essential to company operations. When times are busy they will fly agency people to Timbuktu and back … or at least Singapore, Perth or GOM at the drop of a hat;)

Do they fly employees of one man band Ltd companies long distances? Of course they do.
    Equally they will fly agency people when they need them, as they will employees.

As long as people don’t get on high horses at any stage of the cyclical proceedings we’ll all get along fine.

me
    Participant

I have acutely turned down 3 jobs in Europe the last 3 weeks, 1 was very short 1 was Norway and 1 was at a very low day rate.

rovnumpty
    Participant

Hello Ray

Getting back to your original topic, I think you’ll find the reason you can’t get a replacement will be more to do with the rates being offered than nobody out there.

I toyed with the idea of going back freelance earlier on in the year, but the rates being bandied about by several agencies were on the low side of ridiculous.

So it was staff job for another company for me.

Seems the plethora of agencies now trying to place ROV people has had the effect of driving the rates down as they tout for business. Only way they can get the contracts is by offering personnel at lower and lower rates.

You could spend £1500 on a Nebosh safety cert and get offshore for better rates as a trainee safety rep.

couyon
    Participant

Dont let these wanna be old timers discourage yall new to contract. These either isnt worth a dang or just being very job security. Then if they really knew what they were doing then refer back to isnt worth a dang. I’m just getting into the agency thing myself ive always worked for company permenant so sratch the experience thing. All you have to do is look around on here and ask you will findout. Here is a few to start oceanscan, compass, subservpro, and hydrosub. theres many more just cant think rite now. So dont come on here and start a rumor then dont relay the info ya old farts. If ya been doing this long enough then you shouldnt be worried about someone taking the work. Everybody have a blessed day and oh yea dont be to proud not to take a lil pay cut i got three daughters and work is work but dont be a monkey workin for peanuts.

Brendan
    Participant

Not that hard to sus out contacts lads, within 15 mins of seeing rays post I found four contact names for fugro. Put the names in front of fugro.com and ye got your email address…………simple as. 😆

couyon
    Participant

Guys no hard feeling on the old thing. Ive been doing this rov thing for 11+years now and im just getting into the agency thing. Ive seen alot of good hands go away because of all the contraversy, moral and back stabbing going on because of pay and work right now. Its almost like starting over again reproving yourself. Lots of these agencies want competency and recorded flight time. WTH? i never recorded that stuff. Give a spanner or as i would call it wrench (hint coonass louisiana) or a meter and let me show some stuff. Hell give the stick or seven and ill show ya how to really do tedious work. But nah they want paperwork. I have thousands of hours flying most of the time the whole hitch 12hours at the stick and repaired just about every sub out there. So be leant on the experianced new to agency. I hate seeing good people be gone. I know all the pay rates have gone down and if some of us more experienced proud people would take a lil pay cut and get these worthless way underpay cutters out here then these rates go up maybe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar