Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Fugro on Geomaster?

Fugro on Geomaster?

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Fugro on Geomaster?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    slayer
    Participant

Just recieved a newsletter from Subsea Resources about the copper recovery they are performing outside Spain.
    In that letter there was big frustration and disappointment about one subcontractor, not naming anybody, but from what I know, there are just one subcontractor and that is Fugro with 2 ROV’s.

Anyone been there? Know about the job?

Rgds
    Slayer

rovnumpty
    Participant

Though TS Marine had two XLS on board there?

truered
    Participant

2 x fugro sea lions, boys working there balls off. nothing but the usual problems. weather a problem at the minute

luckyjim37
    Participant

There are many and far reaching reasons why the job on the Geomaster has been hard going. Maybe subsea resources should gain more experience with working with ROV’s before finger pointing.

The equipment is battered and bruised the personnel are tired and the weather is not that good. However for all the time lost due to Fugro’s equipment just as much time was lost due to getting the salvage equipment stuck in the wreck.

Iti is easy to sit back and point fingers I just hope that lessons are learnt all round so that it has not been a wasted job.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Oh yeah and while I am in rant mode ISS have a Mowhawk on the vessel which only after some very hard work by its one and only ROV contractor did if finally work correctly and reliably.

I would be suprised if ISS make any money on this contract due to the problems with this vehicle.

Maybe before pointing the finger at one company on a public forum like this you should be sure of the facts as there has been a lot of decicated hard work put in by a lot of people to keep these vehicles working and as such I feel a little insulted that you should instantly point the finger at Fugro. It could be that SSR did mean Fugro in the news letter however it could also be ISS.

FYI TS Marine has its two XLS vehicles on the Botnica working very well. 😡

truered
    Participant

[Iti is easy to sit back and point fingers I just hope that lessons are learnt all round so that it has not been a wasted job]

good words jim

however lost on a lot of people, as has been the case for a long time since before i started

DANFROV
    Keymaster

I know of some of the guys onboard and they are solid, very experienced and would make any ROV job proud.

Dan

truered
    Participant

i know the guys on there also and they are a great bunch.

i,m sure that this job is not the only one going through a tough period at the minute????

keep up the good work guys

farq30
    Participant

I’m sure the boys from both companies are working their nuts off trying to get everthing working ok. In an ideal world every job would run like clockwork.Unfortunately we (well some of us)live in the real world,where things do go wrong. Pointing the finger at any company doesn’t get the job done. hope it all works out guys!!

luckyjim37
    Participant

I will pass on the sentiments to the team. We are all a little annoyed at what has been insinuated.

If it is Fugro SSR are unhappy with I do not believe it to be personnel issues. Every problem has been overcome one way or another and we have managed to work the vehicles hard over the past few weeks.

And we are getting the copper maybe slowly but the pile on the deck is growing steadily.

slayer
    Participant

I am sorry if I insulted anybody, it was not my intetion. I did not point at Fugro, I just asked…

I was just surpriced that a public newsletter from SSR pointed at someone (even though anonymusly), that’s why I was a bit curious if something was completly wrong.

I am sure the guys onboard to a very good job, and I know by bitter experience that deep sea salvage is a difficult and challenging job.

Keep up the good job, lads!

Slayer

luckyjim37
    Participant

I do not think it you we are mad at Slayer. The obvious choice for who they are disapointed with is the people onboard with the most ROV’s we are annoyed that they would start to publish statements whilst we are still onboard working our nuts off.

A larg proportion of ROV down time has been through there equipment being badly designed and only now after a couple of months are we starting to see improvements.

They also had a skid built but not designed by Perry/Slingsby. This is there own equipment which the ROV guys have to maintain with no tooling tech support. Also the grab equipment has failed a few times when they have not got it stuck in the hole.

It is fairly obvious in retrospect that someone somewhere has shareholders to answer to and that is the reason for generating newsletters which are starting to blame everything and everyone but themselves.

With no disrespect to Fugro they are not a renowned ROV construction company so maybe they at a project level did not input enough into the pre-work phase with regard to the tooling and intervention set up.

All in all it has been a bit of a cluster which has been held together through pure hard work on the part of everyone onboard the vessel from the deck crew through to the vessel manager who has been very hands on throughout the whole project. Also it has to be said that the support we have recieved from the Fugro office in Aberdeen has been very good.

As I said in an earlier comment on this I just hope that all the companies involved use this as a learning curve to make jobs run smoother in the future and also to make the guys lives offshore just a little easier.

slayer
    Participant

I think you are right. Here is a link to the newest newsletter, obviously the way they work, is to blame another company…

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/LSECWS/IFSPages/MarketNewsPopup.aspx?id=1318102&source=RNS

system42
    Participant

Luckyjim,

Is it true that SSR actually lost the salvage Grab on the wreck and Fugro’s ROVs had to recover it? ❓

system42

SUBHolder
    Participant

Are the Sealions that were run off the Gemaster 3000m rated or 1000m rated?

Many thanks in advance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar