Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Hoping for a career move into ROV work , any suggestions :)

Hoping for a career move into ROV work , any suggestions :)

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Hoping for a career move into ROV work , any suggestions :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    S J Poole
    Participant

Hi Folks

Well im looking to get into the ROV sector and would be interested in any pointers. My situation is that i am a trained Mechanical Maintenance Engineer with 13 years experience, im familiar with electrical systems and have also worked with hydraulics and pneumatic systems.

I can also weld & fabricate to quite a good standard by ARC, TIG and MIG welding.

What i am planning to do is firstly my Eng 1 medical and also my offshore tickets Universal Bosiet-Mist-Medical.

So what else can i do to improve my chances of employment at entry level ?

And is there any companies you would advise me to try taking into account my skills and qualifications ?

Thanks

SJP17

John Bridgett
    Participant

Hi Folks

Well im looking to get into the ROV sector and would be interested in any pointers. My situation is that i am a trained Mechanical Maintenance Engineer with 13 years experience, im familiar with electrical systems and have also worked with hydraulics and pneumatic systems.

I can also weld & fabricate to quite a good standard by ARC, TIG and MIG welding.

What i am planning to do is firstly my Eng 1 medical and also my offshore tickets Universal Bosiet-Mist-Medical.

So what else can i do to improve my chances of employment at entry level ?

And is there any companies you would advise me to try taking into account my skills and qualifications ?

Thanks

SJP17

Loads of info on here, get in touch with the bigger companies such as Subsea7, Technip, Oceaneering, Fugro etc, there are more, send your CV and keep sending it regularly, follow it up with a phonecall sometimes works.

As has been said, 1000’s of applicants for a handful of positions, just make sure your CV is at the top of the pile.

IS

S J Poole
    Participant

Thanks IS

Ill start spending a bit more time searching this website when i have a bit more time. Then also begin the process of contacting companies with my CV and express an interest.

Whats your thoughts on the IMCA R 002 entry requirments ? I cant seem to find anywhere in Aberdeen that offers the course , do you have any idea where it can be done and the costs , timescale etc ?

Cheers and Happy Newyear 🙂

SJP17

John Bridgett
    Participant

IMCA only makes suggestions, there’s no certifications etc, it’s down to the ROV companies to decide.

IS

S J Poole
    Participant

Ok , thanks

I was aslo considering an on line course

Level 3 City and Guilds Certificate in Subsea Technology

The series consists of 4 modules, as detailed below;
    • Subsea Equipment & Tools
    • Material Technologies, Subsea Systems & Flow Assurance
    • ROV Systems
    • Subsea Controls

because to be honest finding the finances for the course at fort william or similar is very difficult , mortgage , wife and kids 🙂

Cheers

SJP17

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would suggest you find time and read through the FAQs on here as well as the Rookie section as this question has been discussed many times.

Then come back and ask for further info.

S J Poole
    Participant

I actually never read that section before i posted, quite busy with young kids and shitty nappies needing changed as well as nightshifts , house repairs and a wife to contend with , in an ideal world i could spend hours looking threw the old postings but i just dont have the time , thats why whenever i post on forums i always create one thread and ask all my questions on that , its far easier when looking back, but if its gonna be a problem for the mods or users ill just leave the forum alone

John Bridgett
    Participant

I actually never read that section before i posted, quite busy with young kids and shitty nappies needing changed as well as nightshifts , house repairs and a wife to contend with , in an ideal world i could spend hours looking threw the old postings but i just dont have the time , thats why whenever i post on forums i always create one thread and ask all my questions on that , its far easier when looking back, but if its gonna be a problem for the mods or users ill just leave the forum alone

You might incur a little wrath like this, the experienced people and the mods have courteously answered the same questions 1000’s of times, all of the answers are here to be seen and really you need to do your own research. Been there, done that, seen the film and go the T shirt (well loads actually!).

I have sent you a PM BTW.

J

Ray Shields
    Participant

YOU want our help. Being shirty about it isn’t going to get it.

The same post is made over and over again by dozens of people who don’t seem to bother with the simplest of searching and want someone else to give them all the answers. There are thousands of people out there trying to get into rovs. Put some effort in and you might.

S J Poole
    Participant

Ray i apologise to you and the other forum members & mods for posting without reading the rookie sticky threads , you can move the thread to the appropriate forum section.

And from now on ill try and search for the info

All the best for 2014

SJP17

Roy Simson
    Participant

Hi SPJ17

Sorry but like Ray has already said please read the FAQ on this web site but as many Senior members of this web site have said the same thing over and over again " Please don’t waste your money doing a rov course "
    Just spend time looking on linkedin and here your find the same questions has been asked over and over again , At the end of the day if you wish to spend any thing from £2500 to £10.500 then please do so .But will it get you a job " NO "

Now InnerState did a course " Not sure when " But he found employment very fast ! so the story goes however there are thousands who did a course and 2 years later there still looking .

Lets be very clear " You do not have to do a Rov Course to find employment in the Rov industry "

This debate has been going on for years now but don’t take my word just check out topics on the internet and your find there are thousands out there with the same idea as you .

But the last thing you want to do is blow over £2500 when money is tight and hard to come by .

Its my view the Rov schools should warn the people doing these courses that its very unlikely that with will find employment due to the amount of trainees already on the market .

If you already have experience on electronics or hydraulics then just send of your cv to all the main line Rov company’s and they will put you through one of these in house training programs doing it this way cost you nothing .

But why pick rov as many offshore jobs now pay allot more than Rov does .

So Happy New Year and good luck

Raptor

Samuel Sears
    Participant

SJP you’d have spent far less time clicking the FAQ section on the left and reading through that. Not loads of text to go through but lots of good, concise info.

Good luck

Sam

John Bridgett
    Participant

Hi SPJ17

Now InnerState did a course " Not sure when " But he found employment very fast ! so the story goes however there are thousands who did a course and 2 years later there still looking .

Raptor

I never mentioned doing a course on this thread, if you look back I echo’d pretty much what you guys have been saying. For the record, Aug 2012 I did my course, employed by Fugro 22nd October 2012, moved to Oceaneering 15th October 2013.

IS

Roy Simson
    Participant

Before we get off the topic I am not debating that you did a rov course and found employment .

But what I am saying is " You Do Not Need To Do a Course " lets be very clear about this .In fact its more like winning the lottery thousands play but only few win.

Like I have said over and over again if you do one of these courses your not going to find employment any faster than without .
    Rov company’s are looking for people that have a back ground in electronics or hydraulics .

When I am going through Cvs if I see a one guy who did a 3 week rov course at SubNet or one of the training Schools and then one trades man or Ex services who do you think I am going to pick ?

Times are hard so why spend out any thing from over £2500 – £10500 for a course .

But one thing we both agree on is the market is flooded with trainees so it does not matter if you have done a courses or not except you wont be out of pocket .

So this debate rolls on and on !

Cheers

Raptor

S J Poole
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice guys

Raptor , you asked Why Rov ?, i guess its just what ive heard from people who work on oil boats such as my brother always said that Rov is where the money is and that old chesnut there crying out for Rov guys :). As someone thats been on the tools for years and enjoy fixing and maintaining things it felt like a logical choice , and like most folk im after more cash , i want to get the mortgage paid of quicker and pay off all the other debts i have.

I am also thinking of drillships , platform work and potential shore based work at our local oil terminal , i just need to do something as i am pretty much in a job with 0 prospects (local council) and a lot less money than the oil jobs.

Cheers

SJP17

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar