Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Hoping for a career move into ROV work , any suggestions :)

Hoping for a career move into ROV work , any suggestions :)

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Hoping for a career move into ROV work , any suggestions :)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Roy Simson
    Participant

Understood SJP17 , Well if your looking for a job with lots of cash then you dont want to go for Rov work .

First of all even if you did find employment in the rov industry as a trainee the money will be low for a few years , Best ask the other guys who were lucky to get in and most of the time it is just down to luck being some were just at the right time .

But we had the same thing back in the early seventies when someone put a article in the papers " North Sea Divers Earn £450 a day " Which was allot of money back then , Over night every body wanted to be a diver .

So the same thing is happening now with Rov personnel , If I was you I would do my OGUK Medical and your Survival Course then send off your cv.

Looking at the price of a 3 day BOSIET course this alone will set you back £768 so add Hotel and Food I dont think your see much out of a £1000

As for your medical not sure but I sure someone on here will be able to tell you .

Your need these 2 items for any work that you do offshore , Then you have all the extras for working on Platforms MIST , All the courses for working in Norway and the list goes on and on .

So good luck on what ever you do .

Raptor

John Bridgett
    Participant

Understood SJP17 , Well if your looking for a job with lots of cash then you dont want to go for Rov work .

First of all even if you did find employment in the rov industry as a trainee the money will be low for a few years , Best ask the other guys who were lucky to get in and most of the time it is just down to luck being some were just at the right time .

But we had the same thing back in the early seventies when someone put a article in the papers " North Sea Divers Earn £450 a day " Which was allot of money back then , Over night every body wanted to be a diver .

So the same thing is happening now with Rov personnel , If I was you I would do my OGUK Medical and your Survival Course then send off your cv.

Looking at the price of a 3 day BOSIET course this alone will set you back £768 so add Hotel and Food I dont think your see much out of a £1000

As for your medical not sure but I sure someone on here will be able to tell you .

Your need these 2 items for any work that you do offshore , Then you have all the extras for working on Platforms MIST , All the courses for working in Norway and the list goes on and on .

So good luck on what ever you do .

Raptor

Maersk in Aberdeen did a good package Medicals / BOSIET & MIST, a couple of years back it was around £750. I didn’t go that route but some of the others did.

IS

S J Poole
    Participant

After hearing that im now more hesitant to try and get into that sector , cant wait to tell my brother that its not as easy as people think , even at Christmas dinner he was saying "Rov im telling you get your certs done and borrow a bit of money to do courses ", you’ll have it paid back in no time , and all this talk of "£500 a day for a pilot tech and a grand a day for a supervisor , you will be earning at least £70,000 a year and only working six months"

It certainly gets you thinking , considering my take home pay at the minute is £1900 a month clear i thought it was a no brainer , thankfully i know otherwise now and have not invested any money in Rov courses.

Ive actually managed to get an excellent deal on the offshore courses , Universal Bosiet-Mist-Medical and digs for 5 nights for a total price of £1201 , then ill have about £70-£80 for my seafarers medical Eng 1 then at least i have something to offer these oil companies.

Cheers

SJP17

liddelljohn
    Participant

over the last 5 months I have met 9 people from UK,SA and Eygpt who have spent very large sums of money on ROV courses and associated offshore certifications medicals etc who have not managed to get a job in the industry at all , and also several UK based trainees who have spent the big money and have got some dayrate work but are wondering wether its worth it as companies rosters need the more experienced guys and they dont get enough days offshore .

Roy Simson
    Participant

Sorry but your Brother has it wrong , As a trainee its much less than £500 . Maybe someone can tell us what the rates are for trainees .

I could go into details with rates But the first thing is Whats the vehicle ? Most schools run Seaeye Falcons which is fine for doing jobs like platform inspection or diver support job the problem is there are so many other types of vehicles out there . So doing a rov course and just doing a course with say just a Falcon is not going to help you if you apply for a job were they maybe operating say FMC , SMD or Perry vehicle .

So there is allot more to it than you think and its not cheap and by the sounds of it your need a bank loan .

So like I said do your Survival and medical then look at other offshore jobs , Yes its very busy so I don’t think your have any problems but as for Rov work I should leave it well alone .Just go on facebook and other sites and your find many offshore requirements .

But feel free to come back and tell us how you got on .

Cheers

Raptor

Ray Shields
    Participant

A Trainee would be on closer to £150 a day, you may get up to the £500 a day mark after several years. And this of course is Gross, not including tax, NI etc.

Also note an ENG1 medical is NOT what you need, you require an Oil & Gas UK approved medical. And to work in the Norwegian sector you require a Norwegian medical as well (normally done at the same time). Though I believe it may now be the case that the UK certificate is now accepted in Norway.

http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/knowledgecentre/doctors.cfm

[url]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=”s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oilandgasuk.co.uk%2Ftemplates%2Fasset-relay.cfm%3FfrmAssetFileID%3D3401&ei=aEnIUsW8HeWO7QbQg4G4Cg&usg=AFQjCNGqiZLqVPxvdmwldT8vkLzbgmPGVA&sig2=77ko3OsFLcmiVkvcscK1iQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU[/url”]

S J Poole
    Participant

The eng 1 was planned because if you want to work on drillships then i think thats a requirement , i will of course be doin my offshore medical also.

Just cant wait to get away from my council job , six years now, be a fine job if i was 55 but at 34 i need to get back to the real world.

Ill keep you posted on how i get on

Cheers

SJP17

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar