Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is it a lost cause for me?

Is it a lost cause for me?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is it a lost cause for me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Dave Eyre
    Participant

Well this is my third post my second although read 80 times to date no one has anything to say about it good or bad? So I’m back to go down the same a very well trodden route on the forum but I’ve read the Rookie forum back to front and although helpful in oh so many ways, I’m still finding it difficult to get a foot in the door.

Now I know on here you say don’t pay for the courses but, I’ve completed the training course at MTCS, I booked this before I was pointed to the forum, I’m not in the belief I’m a Pilot Tech I/II, I’m of the belief I’ve completed an intro course a foundation on which to build a possible career if I’m ever given the opportunity.

With 20 years experience, I believe the prerequisite tech background?

Generators, switch gear, motors, hydraulic units, air conditioning units, plc controlled, conventional electronics controlled, industrial electrical as well as electronics down to component level.

NVQ L3 – Electronic & Electrical Engineering
    C&G Electrical and Electronic competences
    C&G 17th Edition IEE Regulations
    C&G Handling of refrigerants
    C&G Engineering craft studies
    UKOOA (OGUK) & OLF Medical till 2011
    Medical and Dental equipment training
    High Voltage, Fibre Optic, PLC, Hydraulic, Pneumatic Experience

For the latter I’m not just talking about the MTCS course I have actually worked and I’am proficient in all the above.

I am totally committed to perusing a career in the ROV Industry and I’ll do whatever it takes to get a foot in the door, so any names of or companies that may be willing to give an Ex Service man even a trial would be greatly appreciated. Also any feedback Positive or negative would greatly be appreciated?

I know I’ve very little experience on ROV systems,(6 hours on a toy as you guys see it!) but wouldn’t an experienced electrical engineer who’s worked on equipment as old as carbon pile regulation (showing my age now!) and as new as the latest medical X-ray be usefull to an ROV team? If that’s not the case please let me know?

So really after sending out enough e-mails and CV’s to destroy a small forest I’m asking for advice and pointing in the right direction? Is it worth or is it a lost cause for me?

Thanks One and all just for taking the time to read.

All advice welcome.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

So really after sending out enough e-mails and CV’s to destroy a small forest I’m asking for advice and pointing in the right direction? Is it worth or is it a lost cause for me?

Thanks One and all just for taking the time to read.

All advice welcome.

You appear to have all that is needed to shape up into a useful team member once you have a couple of trips under your belt.

Keep hammering away is all I can say at present. Something will give in the end.

Good luck and best regards

James Mc

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hyat,

I reckon it’s not much different from trying to find a job onshore as well…. Like unscrupulous companies with very greedy board members, the oil companies are doing / whinging the same tales of economic woes except being a bit more blatant about it!!

Dave Eyre
    Participant

Hi James Mc

You appear to have all that is needed to shape up into a useful team member once you have a couple of trips under your belt.

It’s getting the trips in the first place that’s proving difficult, any pointers on how to get feet in doorways?

Thanks Hyat

Ps not sure if i did the Quote bit right sorry if i didnt!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The quote bit was fine.

There are already a few FAQ’s that cover this pretty much as they should.
    I can’t really add any more to them that would make a difference at this stage. It’s the typical chicken and egg routine.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Agreed.

You have a good technical and qualification background. I would not say the advice on here is NEVEr do an ROV Training Course – just don’t do it straight away and expect to get a job 🙂 You should always try for the job first and then, if you can afford it and you think it may help you, you could do a course.

After that it really is luck of the draw, right place at the right time, someone you know etc. Just like a lot of other jobs I’m afraid!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

In other words …………………… Don’t blow your money on a course that you think will get you a job !
    It does not work that way in this industry.
    It’s a lot of money that can be spent on more important things .
    As Ray said , look for an opening with an ROV company direct 😯
    If the company feels you are worth it , they will send you on courses, otherwise you can get as much if not more being a trainee on the job training than you will ever get through one of these "ROV Schools"
    Good luck 🙂

JB2
    Participant

You may want to look at the cable industry for your opening although plough and trench work is not oil and gas, once in you could heavily wangle your way onto a repair ROV which with GMSL is a Triton XL with a jet & track package added. So not perceived by many as real ROV work but you should get a good knowledge of breakdown repairs as due to the nature of that side the systems are very labour intensive!!
    I hear that cable work is picking up as it is not directly tied to the $ Oil price!

iROV
    Participant

You may want to look at the cable industry for your opening although plough and trench work is not oil and gas,

Seem to get paid better 😉

We are looking for Trenching Pilot Techs – GOOD RATES!

Job Scope: Cable Trenching
    Start Date: 8th August
    Vessel based: Yes
    Duration: 4-6 weeks
    Using: In house Trencher – It is a jetting machine – 12 tonnes
    Rate: £525 per day

Ray Shields
    Participant

The other possibility for you is to get a job as a base technician at one of the ROV firms. Getting experience working on the systems in base will immensly enhance your chances of getting a job offshore on them.

iRov, are you offering £525 a day to Hyat? Thats damed decent of you to offer that to a Trainee 😀

Andy Shiers
    Participant

And a trainee too 😕
    That’s bloody good money 😯

iROV
    Participant

iRov, are you offering £525 a day to Hyat? Thats damed decent of you to offer that to a Trainee 😀

Advertised on oilcareers, considering a "career change" myself 😀

Anonymous

Hi
    Do you guys want to work for 525 a day???????

Dave Eyre
    Participant

Do you guys want to work for 525 a day???????

Yes right now I would jump at the chance!! both feet !! but as a trainee I think its more than a Little Unlikly??

Unless that really is an offer IROV??

The other possibility for you is to get a job as a base technician at one of the ROV firms. Getting experience working on the systems in base will immensly enhance your chances of getting a job offshore on them

Hi James Mc, I’m applying for these post as they come up and sending CV and cover letters saying I’ll happily gain experience in any post they see fit. But no success to date infact a rejection from ss7 only today do ROV managers see the CV’s or are they keyword searched and filtered by HR??.

Really do feel like I’m hitting head against a wall sometimes, but not giving up and thank you all for your comments today, it’s good to hear that at least I have the right background.

Any further comments are very welcome, and I mean very welcome!

As are job offers and even work experience offers, 😀

Ok but worth a try ❗

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The other possibility for you is to get a job as a base technician at one of the ROV firms. Getting experience working on the systems in base will immensly enhance your chances of getting a job offshore on them

Hi James Mc, I’m applying for these post as they come up and sending CV and cover letters saying I’ll happily gain experience in any post they see fit. But no success to date infact a rejection from ss7 only today do ROV managers see the CV’s or are they keyword searched and filtered by HR??.

It was Ray that suggested that, however he is quite right, it’s a good way into the game as a company should be able to use you on the maintenance front with little training required in your case.

Years back, as an ex RE diver, I was tramping around Aberdeen for a week or so on foot trying to get a job.. it was also like banging my head against a brick wall and then, out of the strangest places, I got a break.. I was at a next door neighbours party back in Brighton, someone there had a regular job on a team and wanted some time off. They suggested to the OPs manager that he give me a try and I was in. It was a basic as that.

Just keep at it, but don’t drain the bank trying get into ROV, in the interim if you don’t have one already, get a local job (anything that pays) go temp/agency for local land based work near home, that way you’ll keep the wolves at bay longer, however if the offshore related job you want comes along grab it.

Keep your mobile with you at all times at work and make sure you check email a few times a day as a minimum (if you can).

Rejection from these companies means nothing. In fact your recent rejection shows that SS7 (bless their little souls) have your CV in a file other than the one numbered 13! Requirements and manning levels can change overnight and they will change their mind just as quickly if the moment requires it. You could get a ‘no thanks’ one day and a ‘when can you fly’ the next from the very same company!

Just make sure that you have a passport that is valid for a year ahead at least, valid medical, valid offshore survival etc.

Is it a lost cause for me?

I think not!

best regards
    James Mc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar