Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Main Lift Reterms – wires in or out

Main Lift Reterms – wires in or out

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Main Lift Reterms – wires in or out

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    kangaroo
    Participant

I have actually done a wirelock course and have the certification.

Wires should not be bent back.

Just because some guys on here have been doing this for 20 years, does not mean it is the correct way to do it, and it is attitudes like this that are preventing this industry from advancing.

Annual 12 month re-terms and send a 3m piece off for NDT testing is what should be used to test the integrity of the wires for strength and any corrosion that is developing. To say that a bend test is done during an offshore re-term is again pointless and time wasting.

Incidentally, during the Wirelock course, even the Wirelock instructor could not explain why the ROV industry bend the wires back when he was asked the question.

It is time PSSL took ownership of this confusion and seek out a clarification from Wirelock as it only opens PSSL up to future legal action should someone get killed or an insurance company refuse to pay out when an ROV is lost.

In summary, even though I have done the course and been told not to bend back, I still have tp follow the company’s procedure and use whatever method they require.

tc1
    Participant

Lostboy
    Unfortunately on this one in the uk sector its bound by law and rigging courses have been going for years.
    My last one cost me 200 sterling.
    Its like years ago in diving we were all riggers,slingers,banksmen,crane ops etc but slowly and surely the HSE are making anyone doing these ,tasks which are covered by law, into proscribed necessary certs.
    I personally dont mind training schools who offer this type of course,its the dreamt up ones I object to when its obvious they just want in our pockets.

dandydon
    Participant

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ANY TRAINEES READING THIS

DO NOT…I REPEAT …DO NOT BEND ANY WIRES BACK … OR… LUB UP THE INSIDE O THE BULLET

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I’ve seen wires bent back and wire used unbent. This was dependent on the accepted procedure/standard practice of the company I was working with at the time.
    I have yet to see the wires pull though the wire-lock compound as a result of either method being used.

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

The use of wirelock products are very simply explained on the tin! If that doesn’t do it for you then their website will provide you with any additional information you may require. Geez it’s so bloody simple I guess that’s why it’s been used for the decades it has. If you are unsure of the product or the procedure then ask to be crew changed for someone who can read the instructions. 😀 🙄

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

The use of wirelock products are very simply explained on the tin! If that doesn’t do it for you then their website will provide you with any additional information you may require. Geez it’s so bloody simple I guess that’s why it’s been used for the decades it has. If you are unsure of the product or the procedure then ask to be crew changed for someone who can read the instructions. 😀 🙄

Agreed pond….

CLEAN the wires / bullet and pot. Yep, simple enough….

Alan Newlands
    Participant

Interesting discussion… I thought I would add in my tuppence worth. My previous employer went to some lengths to review reterms and come up with a detailed procedure. They had discussions with the inventor of Wirelok which were very helpful. The Millfield website has a good paper on the subject.

http://www.millfield-group.co.uk/wirelock/pdfs/resinsocketing.pdf

A number of things were apparent.

Bullet internal profile angles were incorrect. It should be around 14-15 degrees included angle. We found they were 30 [An engineer didnt understand what included angle is ??? – check yours]. However, wirelok does seem tolerant of this an other issues like cleanliness.

A flared steel tube was recommended over the electrical tail.

Inner profile should be smooth and a releasing agent can be used. [Millfield recommended Releasil 7]

Cleanliness of the wires is advisable, but you dont need to go to extreme lengths – see the article on the website. The wirelok does not rely on bond strength alone, but frictional strength due to the silica particles giving a high frictional grip on the steel wires.

I believe a booster is available in cold climates to allow the wirelok to work properly.

dandydon
    Participant

Matilda74,

Intresting post re: angle o the dangles in the bullet

I have watched them pot upwards of 350Te wire rope & bullets and yir richt, they didnae bother too much wi wires huvin tae be polish clean.

Quick Jet wash then rubbed wi diesel before bein degreased etc

Ive used thon curing agent you mentioned anaw when doin several mainlift reterms in Murmansk harbour for the russian navy many year ago

Needed it then as it was the cauldest tyear a ever spent in ma life, made Abz look tropical

dandy

sonny green
    Participant

I AM THINKING ABOUT STARTING A CAREER IN THE ROV INDUSTRY BECAUSE IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD FUN AND A GOOD WAY TO MAKE A LOT OF MONEY. I WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD DO A ROV COURSE OR JUST SEND MY CV INTO ROV COMPANIES?? I DON’T HAVE A TECHNICAL BACKGROUND AS SUCH BUT I AM A FAST LEARNER AND AM SURE I COULD JUST PICK IT UP AS I GO BECAUSE IT DOESN’T LOOK THAT HARD. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN EARN ALL YOUR MONEY TAX FREE IN THIS INDUSTRY???
    FINALLY I THINK A LITTLE MORE ENCOURAGEMENT SHOULD BE SHOWN TO POTENTIAL NEW RECRUITS ON THIS WEB SITE AS SURELY ANY INDUSTRY NEEDS NEW PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO LEARN LIKE MYSELF. THE INDUSTRY SHOULDN’T JUST HAVE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN IN IT FOR SO LONG THEY DON’T ENJOY IT ANYMORE AND SHOULD PROBOBALY GO AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO.

LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR INPUT.

rov_er
    Participant

encouragement?
    yes mate go on, make a course, spend a lot of money and then try to get a job!
    just, don’t complain then if you won’t find any job, as those on this forum that seem pessimistic to you…they told you.

by the way…could you explain me what your post has to do with this topic?

rov_er

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Rover,

Can’t believe you took on that piss-take. Kinda obvious isn’t it?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

1 was on the winch,

Piss-takes belong in the joke section of the forum…

sonny green
    Participant

.[1 was on the winch,

Piss-takes belong in the joke section of the forum…]

scott, i agree, but i’m afraid you miss the point.

at the company i work for, due to a manufacturing fault on our original umbilicals, we were forced to do quite a few reterms, it was down to around 1 a week for most systems and for one particular system due to the vessel it was on, got to one every 36 hours.

this lasted a couple of years, and as a result it is evident most of our trainee’s would be better placed to do a reterm than half of the commentators on this thread… the fact that you have collectively rheumenated for so long is evident that like most of the old boys your better off at talking about the job.

maybe you all should should move to the office and let some of the fresh lads trying to get into the industry in.

GraemeRSU
    Participant

If the potting is done correctly it should withstand the full breaking strain of the umbilical armour.

Did destruct testing last year at Nexans to prove a new umbilical which used the same armour layers as their NSS8 umbilical.

The test sample was potted with wire straight no bends and wirelok cleaning instructions were followed to the letter. No Silcone spray was used, though we did fit a steel sleeve to the test bullets (standard wire rope bullet was used for the destruct test) to convert it to mimic the actual LARS ROV Bullet tapered profile of 14 degrees inclusive.

The sample broke at 85.8 tonnes mid way between the two test bullets, which proved that potting is still the method to use for destruct testing.

The 1.5 x SWL testing load required by IMCA is no where near the destruct test load and is the only way to prove that your reterm has been potted correctly

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Matilda74,

Intresting post re: angle o the dangles in the bullet

I have watched them pot upwards of 350Te wire rope & bullets and yir richt, they didnae bother too much wi wires huvin tae be polish clean.

Quick Jet wash then rubbed wi diesel before bein degreased etc

Ive used thon curing agent you mentioned anaw when doin several mainlift reterms in Murmansk harbour for the russian navy many year ago

Needed it then as it was the cauldest tyear a ever spent in ma life, made Abz look tropical

dandy

Yep, clean only…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar