Offshore Boots

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Our lot have started giving us these big bloody Doc Martin type ankle boots with laces and a zip up the side and a nice furry lining. Handy in the North Sea, bloody awful in hotter climates!

"Rigger boots are banned you have to have extra support" they say. Balls, BP or Shell or some such have said you must wear them on their rigs – so the rest of us have to suffer?? Rigger boots certainly aint banned, everyone else still wears them.

Bagh!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Better than the Pirelli / Michelin Radial tyre safety flipflops 😀

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I’m just thinking about what you said there Ray 😯
    What an utter Fucking stupid Idiotic thing to do 😡
    It smells of some TWAT in a safety orifice who has never worked for more than one week offshore before slipping into his ‘Hush puppies’
    behind a desk.
    Ray , You should find out where this has come from no matter where so that his name can be blazenley fired across the internet , Named and shamed for being an idiot 👿

well i’ve had the luck of being on a bp platform and the data dogger had riggers boots on and was warned they were not to be worn on bp platforms. Never gave him another pair though!
    My company also supplies the zip kind of boot now……….without the furry lining mind. that’s ridiculous!

Chaos
    Participant

These zip up boots were required by BP on all platforms in 2005, when i was on Harding as i was issued a new pair (which i have on at this moment) just for this job along with the rest of the rov crew.

So you can see how much energy they are putting into policing this issue
    if you are only now being informed.

Ray Shields
    Participant

These zip up boots were required by BP on all platforms in 2005, when i was on Harding as i was issued a new pair (which i have on at this moment) just for this job along with the rest of the rov crew.

So you can see how much energy they are putting into policing this issue
    if you are only now being informed.

I only found this out when I asked for a new pair of boots! These Jalaties have done me fine for years and Ive never worked on a rig in the North Sea in my life.

Chaos
    Participant

you are not missing anything, except maybe regular helicopters.

rovrave
    Participant

Yeah smacks of another boffin with his head up his arse

i heard shell brunei banned flip flops….no, not on deck,.. in the accommodation. Not even allowed them in the shower. It’s ok to have mould all up the wall in the shower and everybody suffering from raging foot rot though. You are not even allowed sandals

well at least they seem to be paying for the boots though. Heard a bloke in charge down at sonsub singapore (geoff hopless or something like that) stopped reimbursement for boots to the lads. Well actually thats not true he now allows you to claim the equivalent value to a pair of local ahbeng boots (about 20 bucks) or a free issue of the same. Apparently the ahbeng boots fall apart after 3 months . They also require guys to work on the sub up to their knees in sea water, so they then fall apart in 3 weeks. He is still scratching his head and arse wondering why the guys there are leaving to go agency in unprecedented numbers. (gotta pay your own boots but less of that sort of crap)

I kid you not. Ask some of the lads …..and it’s all in the name of safety

i agree with a previous post. Lets have the culprits name or email address of their HSE dept so we can all bombard the fool responsible with emails outlining the case for freedom of choice for decent comfortable and safe foot ware of our choosing. I spose the next thing will be the requirement for peoples party grey look alike uniforms

the rave

TheProphet
    Participant

Just buy your own, you have them on at least 12 hours a day so you want somethinjg that’s comfortable. Not something that look’s good. 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Rovrave , The only Flip-Flops
    AND I REPEAT ,
    The only Flip-Flops that have been banned in the Northsea ,Rigs, are the kind that have small support between the second and Big toe.
    The reason being that TOO many people have tripped over going up stairs and damaging their Big toe 😯
    The other variaties which have support ACROSS the toes are exceptable.

Savante
    Participant

——————————————————————————–
    Yeah smacks of another boffin with his head up his arse

i heard shell brunei banned flip flops….no, not on deck,.. in the accommodation. Not even allowed them in the shower. It’s ok to have mould all up the wall in the shower and everybody suffering from raging foot rot though. You are not even allowed sandals

never head to a platform without a good pair of "spunk-skaters". Is an OIM really going to burst in on you in the nuddy and red card you? Should be the same mentality as the army – take care of your feet !!

Ray Shields
    Participant

well at least they seem to be paying for the boots though.

I spose the next thing will be the requirement for peoples party grey look alike uniforms

In the UK The Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 1992 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf say that your employer is obliged to supply you with the boots free of charge.

They also have to supply them to Agency people if they are legally considered to be your employees – you’ll be OK with UKPS people cos the Taxman says they’re all Self Emplyed 😀 😀 😀 Of course 99% of the time Agency people are not employees of the Company (this is going back to another old thread about whether companies should supply agency workers with PPE)

We already have our common offshore uniform – Tango Orange 🙂

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ray wrote:

In the UK The Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 1992 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf say that your employer is obliged to supply you with the boots free of charge.

Sooo, a few guys in the UK sector don’t like the free skegs…. Guess they’ll have to do what the rest of us do and work elsewhere (for SLIGHTLY less) & buy their own…. Whinge on!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

The main complaint is how one oil companys whim is being forced upon everyone else in the company whether they work on their rigs or not.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ray,

Correct at the time of press… And yes, there’s way too many pedantic ar..hools with way too much time on their hands that create jobs for themselves at the expense of the oil company they work for whilst making our lives (usually) miserable offshore. As well as the folks who receive massive bonuses for playing golf a major percentage of the time. BTW – I enjoy golf, but don’t get much of a chance due to looking / purchasing proper footwear….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar