Offshore Boots

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Alex Kerr
    Participant

Same old story chaps, never heard arguments like these change a safety man’s mind yet.
    Wear the gear, finish your trip, go home, spend your wages – everybody wins!. 😉

Ray Shields
    Participant

You missed one point – raise a STOP card every time the new boots give you Atheletes Foot 😀 😀

ionicwings
    Participant

nice thread, about to buy safety boots (ma old one hurts my feet already)… i hope i can find those zipper ones here (though i might hate the furry lining)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

And that ……… 😀
    Coming from a pussy …………….. is quite extraodinary 😯

Ray Shields
    Participant

Dont waste your money, just buy standard Rigger Boots, as long as your boots are to EN345 (or BS EN ISO 20345:2004 for its full title)

All safety footwear, regardless of style, should have steel toe-caps conforming to EN345 (200 Joules)*. This means the steel toe-cap will withstand the impact of 20kg in weight falling on to the toes from a height of 10.2 metres. This standard also relates to compression protection corresponding to approximately 1.5 tonnes resting on the toe area.

This is the standard of safety footware everywhere offshore. If you end up on a rig that requires lace ups (very low odds compared to the rest of the world) then they will supply you with a pair. (PPE Regulations)

Just get these 🙂 http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/boots-and-footwear/dickies-safety-boots/FA23355/0/ or these if you want to splash out http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/boots-and-footwear/dickies-safety-boots/MW325/0/
    or these if you want to feel like a cowboy! http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/boots-and-footwear/dickies-safety-boots/FD23150/0/

And I have NEVER seen these offshore…http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/boots-and-footwear/socks/FZ5000/0/ tho you could start a trend 😀

ionicwings
    Participant

thanks! 😉

Paul Bond
    Participant

As has been stated on this thread previously, this isn’t a ‘new’ idea. I worked for the same bunch for four and a bit years, (i left 2 1/2 years ago), and i needed new Jallattes. I asked for a new pair, only to be told that i could only have the fur lined ‘Biggles’ boots – i was told it was because BP, Shell etc had made them mandatory on their rigs. I just told personnel and the Ops managers that i wouldn’t work on those installations then, and voila i was given a pair of Jallattes as well!

Amazing how their mind set changes when they are paying you a salary to sit at home rather than suffocating on North sea platform BS for them.

liddelljohn
    Participant

Singapore adheres to the same safety regs as UK , most companies issue good quality free boots ,, the Sonsub guy is breaking regulation as well as being a dick.

subman
    Participant

So were in Thailand can I buy a pair of Jallatte Boots , " Yes I am Fully aware that many companys wont let you on there rig or vessel with them however there my feet and I have to be in them for 12 or 48 hours a day so I will stick with what I know .

But the same thing with goes with short Sleave overalls , I all most lost my arm wearing long sleave a few years ago .

But many clients come out with rules and change things as they go along , Like no Knifes but your ok with a leather man or they dont employ any body over 45 or 55 years old next thing you see are CSRs on board who are over 60 . I hate to think whats going to happen in the next few years .

Cheers

Subman

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I think anything that makes people look less like cowboys has to be a good thing 😉

It’s interesting how change creates resistance/complaints.

If we’d all been wearing the zip/lace up ‘hip-doodies’ for the past 10 years and suddenly BP/Shell wanted us to start wearing Jallattes the same resistance would come up… utterings of, "They look like cowboy boots" would be heard.. along with, "What’s wrong with the good old ‘bovva’ boots we’ve always worn?"

I’ve had a pair of these zip/lace up type boots for a few years and they are pretty much the best boots I’ve ever used. Far better than the open slip on/off Jallatte type boots which, if you are out on a wet deck with water sloshing around, will guarantee your feet end up wet! They are better for climbing around the system on deck too!

Plus when you want to make a fashion statement you can wear the ‘bovva’ boots down to the Crown & Anchor(Abz) or Charlies (SG)!. You’ll look so hard no-one will bother you 😉

JL Schnabel
    Participant

…sorry my good chaps far and wide, but what about good ol’ Red Wings?!

Yip, I know they’re a b***h to break in… and they don’t come with Arctic furry lining and the zippy zip, but they’re proper and serious and decent !

😉

Savante
    Participant

Sievei’s. Best one’s I’ve ever had – zips and ties. Comfy as the day I bought them. No breaking in and furry like a last minute airport birthday present.

I don’t know why, but always thought the zip was a good alternative to having some medic cut my boot off in case of a crush or burns accident.

T-Boy
    Participant

Had Jalettes, had zips, had shoes and hiking boots thingies over the years…the ones that really are the bizzo are from Stietz.

Alloominum toe cap, ideal for baggage, extremely light and fit like a glove.

They aren’t cheap, especially if you go for the optional Play-doh ‘stick your tootsies in here to make a mould’ and send it to us and we’ll make the boots for you – you pay your money and take your choice…I have to look after your feet especially in the environment we work in!

I have had a pair of Securas for 5 years now, I only work in hotter climes, they have vent holes in the sides to let the air and mozzies in (I know they would be illegal on all outfits in the NS), supple as you you like. They’ve been hammerd, covered in oil, wet, hosed out, used for kicking clients nads, filled with sand you name it.

I’m an extra broad flipper so these were the only real choice I had in Toe tectors.

As far as o-v’s go…dickies lightweight shortsleeved jobbers. 16 quid a shot and again do the job for donkies years.

Back to me wining and limen
    Tee

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Had Jalettes, had zips, had shoes and hiking boots thingies over the years…the ones that really are the bizzo are from Stietz.

Alloominum toe cap, ideal for baggage, extremely light and fit like a glove.

Tee

T-boy,

Are Stietz available in S’pore?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Thread moved to a new board: Safety – General

Why?

As the discussion is not related directly to ROV safety it made sense to start a new General Safety discussion board and chuck this thread into it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar