Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Oil & Gas or Cable work ?

Oil & Gas or Cable work ?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Oil & Gas or Cable work ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    SmallWorld
    Participant

Sounds like another disgruntled bitter JST ( Just Sit There )to me .

Hope your new job works out for you all the same & remember its just a job that pays the bills.Dont let the so called “pilot “status go to your head.

Real pilots fly Jets.

Me I,ve only worked in the cable industry : Basically dont do alot all day , go to the pub every night , beach on weekends ( get them off paid ), havnt been on ops for 6 years , got an amazing sun tan , have a huge comfy cabin ,flat screen TV ,DVD etc etc . Play golf on companies time , Drink in the ships bar , Have internet in my cabin ,Never do any work if i can help it ….ring any bells ? & I get paid loads .

PS : Can anyone tell me where & what an ROV is ?

thinsub
    Participant

well seems to be an interesting debate going on here.

I have worked both oil and Cable in the past and didson they are all hard especially if you used to go round with your eyes shut.

Cable can be varied and strange things can happen and you have to be experienced to deal with these senarios for example survey cable up extreme slopes where there are large suspension and you have to fly the route with no viz. But in general it is relatively easy and I think most cable guys are aware of the fact.

Oil & gas jobs well they can be so varied you may never come up against some types of work in your career and many don’t. I have seen guys with plenty of ROV experience thinking they are the bees’s knees because they have done this in the oil and gas, going into a panick because they did not have the knowledge to complete the job in hand.

Basically the point I am trying to put accross is that you cannot do any ROV job with your eyes shut always be prepared for the unexpected.

Yes there are many guys who have gone from Cable to oil and gas and been very successful. (with there eyes wide open). It is not such a huge step to make for most of them.

Thinsub

K2
    Participant

thinsub/smallworld

Perhaps I’m wrong but 5 years in a time on /off environment where 80% of your time is in the jointing shop then it’s no fault of didson that he’s a tad blinkered with only a few weeks of actual in-water ROV time. It’s a shame he’s become biased and has a jaded view of cable working submersibles be they plough, tractors or free fly.

Cable work aside, the previously mentioned company also surveyed a WW submarine off California, recovered dead bodies from a sunken ferry, surveyed and subsequently recovered the BB from a downed Harrier and spent several months working in the Gulf of Mexico flying in and around rigs, platforms, along pipelines, flowlines, trees, tie-ins, risers, conducting touch-down monitoring and a whole host of manip work. From what I hear all these pilots were cable ROV guys who performed admirably and the only incidents we’re due to non-company ‘experienced oil & gas’ pilots.

Going back to the original forum question, I will continue to enjoy and reap the benefits from both worlds but clearly everyone to their own.

Smallworld, what company do you work for, I need to add it to my list of companies to avoid, great lifestyle but your subs must be in helluva state unless they are still wrapped up in the manufacturers box 😆 As I said everyone to their own, me, I like to fix and fly 😆

😉

Andy Shiers
    Participant

It seems to me that Alot of “Cable” people do not have a grasp of what flying is all about !
    Talk about panic one day !
    I said I would fly the vehicle to the worksite and they all stared blanked faced as if that was impossible ! they prefferd to lower it and position with the ship ’cause that’s the way they allways done it ! 😯

rovnumpty
    Participant

Oil & Gas or Cable?

Hmmm

Only someone who has only worked in the cable industry would ask that question.

Going by smallworld’s reply, the question should be Drill support & Cable or Construction & Survey?

Seeems drill support and cable require the same skills – lots of loafing and an ability to look busy when you’re not.

I prefer staying busy and doing interesting jobs, so I’ll go for the Construction & Survey.

And smallworld, if you think ‘real pilots fly jets’ , then thank god you’re in the cable industry. Airline pilots babysit a computer these days. Try a construction job with multiple ROV’s, multiple cranes, multiple vessels and a 1/2 knot current. Now that’s real flying.

Flymatt022
    Participant

Try a construction job with multiple ROV’s, multiple cranes, multiple vessels and a 1/2 knot current. Now that’s real flying.

Now that sounds like the job for me!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

You need atleast 100 hrs of leggo construction plus be proficient at Actionman absailing !
    Pilots still using stabilisers on their choppers need not reply ! 😕

Philip Pedlow
    Participant

Well said lostboy, these construction guys think they are the dog bollocks.

Anyway, best run here, its almost time for gin club in the officers bar.

Later

SmallWorld
    Participant

Yep lots of Loafing

Lots of laughing to at some of the serious replys here ….hmmmmm you consrtuction boys & girls need get a sense of humour !

Toodle pip chaps , must dash , I,m going scuba diving at the beach . Or should I say scuba flying 😯 😉

TheBaron
    Participant

Smallworld, I’d suggest you stick to your little flying-free zone, as it would be an almighty shocker for you to learn that there are genuine pilots out there in the big bad ROV world.

Real pilots fly Jets.

What an arse statement to make! Don’t feel so inferior, it’s not your fault. Not everyone was born to fly. As for me, I’m off to DRIVE my ROV now……..er, well I might fly it a little, unless I can possibly avoid it.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Fly an ROV ! 😯
    Drive a milk float ! 😆

Philip Pedlow
    Participant

RIGHT!!

Message to webmaster and web mistress…..I think we should have a dedicated Forum called ‘TAKING THE PISS OUT OF CONTSRUCTION PILOTS’.

God you guys really are primadonnas arnt you……..cant you see you are being wound up.

We are all adults here……..and we all have a cool job wether its drill support, construction, survey, cable or salvage. Ive worked all of them over the years and every discipline requires different skills.

Dont be thinkin your are something special because you do construction. Flying the vehicle is only part of what we do. Every job has a differnet set of requirements and parameters that have to be fullfilled. Cable is no different, just cause they are sat alongside more (standby) does not mean they are not proffesionals (with the exception of global….hehe).

Later dudes

Andy Shiers
    Participant

What do ya reckon Baron ?
    Do ya reckon they could fly a milk float ?

TheBaron
    Participant

The innaugural flight of the milkfloat would have to be straight into smallworld’s friggin’ swede!

rovnumpty
    Participant

Not entirely sure who’s winding up who here….

but….

Smallworld/Filo

Don’t you think we (as in all rov people – construction,cable,whatever) get enough crap from the office turnips about being overpaid – the “they’re just techs – we can get three of them for that price anywhere else” mob, without rov bods playing down one of the ‘skills’ which does make our job unique.

If we become just ‘operators’, then that lumps us in with a million other technicians.

Personally, I think we should become ‘drivers’. Like Crane drivers. When the crane breaks down, you pick up the phone, tell the cheif engineer, and make your way to the coffee shop until it’s fixed.

And they make more money than us.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar