Home Forums ROV International ROV Related Associations One thing the IROVA will probably never do!

One thing the IROVA will probably never do!

Home Forums ROV International ROV Related Associations One thing the IROVA will probably never do!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

I pulled this out of discussion on another topic (Agency Percentages)

Below is an except from a longer post by luckyjim37

The quicker IROVA takes off and gets some pay standardization going the better; it is starting to get a bit boring reading the same old rhetoric about how rates were fantastic two years ago but poor now

Before anyone jumps on the ‘IROVA will sort out pay’ bandwagon…
    The IROVA will probably not have any influence on pay standardisation for a long time to come yet, If any influence were exerted, industry wide, it would most likely be in the form of raising the standard of ROV tech qualifications and grades based on verifiable training and experience.

I strongly feel that direct pay negations with employers should not be part of the IROVA’s remit. I would suggest that’s more union type business.
    I hope that the IROVA will confirm this at some later point.

Cabledog
    Participant

Hearing From IROVA would be kinda nice. I have emailed two or three times now and never had a reply. Maybe he/they are all off-shore on a job with no ‘Net access. Hope the comms improve, bigtime, or this will be another idea that goes nowhere.

Be good
    Dog

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I believe the person behind the idea was offshore for some time with very restricted comms. They are back on the scene and should be more responsive now.

Out of interest which IROVA email address did you use to contact them?

Cabledog
    Participant

James,

I used the info@iroca.org address which is still the one on the website for contact.

Dog

thomas
    Participant

Gents,
    I have just returned from a 60 day trip which had very limited comms on board being shared by around 150 people.

With respect to pay levels.

The irova many months ago was just an idea and many things were said and discussed.We have moved forward now and are starting to put more firm views together prior to publishing as I am sure everyone will appreciate that anything published will be quoted at some stage in the future.

The irova mission at this time is to bring together a body of proffessional rov people with which we may be able to influence our industry in many ways for the better.

This association will never be unionised and our priority is not to start negotiating with companies over pay.

Hopefully in the future we will find pay will start to standardise as we gain more influence in our industry.

I am sorry that I have been out of touch for a while but be assured that I am wading through my inbox and will respond to its contents.

Please bear in mind that everyone involved in this association are working people like everyone else and until we create revenue and are able to fund full time people then we will continue from our own spare time.I have a few people working with me who I am indebted to for there time and work in bringing this idea to fruition.
    We have a good website up and running which will fill up with content as time goes by.

Imho the way forward is to now create a set of standards and once published we will offer membership based on those standards and create revenue with which we can use to better our industry.

There are no doubt many out there who do not wish us to succeed in our venture but I say to those people that the time is coming for us to be more considered when we will be the influence of conditions and standards in our industry.

timebandit
    Participant

60 days offshore !!!
    Thats not healthy, safe or fair.
    Perhaps you could look into what is a reasonable length of trip for members to do. If we all do long trips like that there will be half as much work about, more accidents at work due to fatigue and more cock ups at work due to lack of concentration. Most clients limit time offshore to 5 or 6 weeks max, if you want to represent us as a professional body then trips like that must be called into question on safety grounds and professional standards.

From 30 years of offshore experience I know that without exception people start to become a liability over 4-6 weeks offshore and any professional status will be negated by the simple mistakes that we make when exposed to such an environment.

I respect you for your ongoing efforts made in an attempt to polarise us into a homogenous group of workers however, in order to protect our professional integrity we must also protect our health and welfare.

Please consider my comments carefully and perhaps review the performance of those involved in the job over the last 60 days, I believe that after consideration you will agree that our standards drop no matter how much experience we have.

Enjoy your well earned rest…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Time,

Good point mate. I’ve been ostracized for saying just (too long offshore is not a good idea) that for years. The down slope of productivity starts at 3 weeks offshore though….

IROVA,

Another point for the "safety factor vs time" (and insurance costs for that matter) perhaps.

timebandit
    Participant

I know Scott, I remember Kha nom and recon 5 , the cook chasing the skipper around with a kitchen knife amongst other things . Hope you well.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I know Scott, I remember Kha nom and recon 5 , the cook chasing the skipper around with a kitchen knife amongst other things . Hope you well.

Bloody hell!!! I remember that! Classical point (pun intended). Ol’ Jim wasnae impressed – RIP. U 2 dude!

Sorry all… going off topic (again)….

Back to percentage rip-offs – my thoughts, rather have it in my pocket thanks.

timebandit
    Participant

Sorry to hear that about Jim.

I think you are right 3 weeks is my limit now and probably always was anything after that is probably why we get to work offshore and come home phased..

By the way it was me who spent the night being sick in your hut on the beach after fresh oysters….

thomas
    Participant

Gents.
    I hear what you are saying ,however the reason I was offshore for 60 days was that I was working for a brand new company with its first rov and its first job.
    The mob from box to operational time took awhile and then the client needed some credability/
    It is not normal nowadays to go beyond 42 days however there are times when you have to help your client or employer.
    The person with 30yrs experience of offshore should not need this explained to him however in my 34 yrs since my first trip I have gone from 3 to 4 months trips to 21 days in the north sea.Sometimes you have to help out .

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Sorry to hear that about Jim.

I think you are right 3 weeks is my limit now and probably always was anything after that is probably why we get to work offshore and come home phased..

By the way it was me who spent the night being sick in your hut on the beach after fresh oysters….

Argh! That’s where those designer stains came from!!!!!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James,

I used the info@iroca.org address which is still the one on the website for contact.

Dog

I hope that was a typo: info@iroca.org ??

The correct address, as per the site, is: info@irova.org

Cabledog
    Participant

Yes it is a typo.

timebandit
    Participant

IROVA,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar