Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Pay cut due to the economic downturn. Why?

Pay cut due to the economic downturn. Why?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Pay cut due to the economic downturn. Why?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    senior
    Participant

Why lower your day rate, this job has been advertised with a day rate from £300-£400+ previously

ROV Pilots / Supervisors / Technitions
    Job Reference: HQ00027498
    Salary From: £ 150.00 p/d
    Salary To: £ 350.00 p/d
    Sector : Engineering Quality
    Type : Contract / Temp
    Job Description : ROV Pilots or ROV Technicians with Triton / Perry XLS or XLX ROV experience required for 5 month contracts starting end of April. Initially you’ll be offshore within the UK, off Ireland and then expect to be in Norwegian waters. You’ll need to up to date with all medical and offshore documents to include OLF for Norway. The rotation will be 5 weeks on 5 weeks off. If this sounds of interest and you have the necessary documents then please contact Clive at STR on 02392 322 322 or email your cv to ***********@strgroup.co.uk Its a competitive market at the moment so please quote your expected rate on application.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

By the looks of senoir’s post, I would think there’s a multipler that’s missing… say… times 4!!!!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

By the looks of senoir’s post, I would think there’s a multipler that’s missing… say… times 4!!!!!

What, £600 for a Pilot Tech and £1400 a day for a Supervisor? I don’t think so.

5 on 5 off, you’re not allowed to do that in Norway are you?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

It was rhetorical Ray, chill…

DJansen
    Participant

Sounds like DOF are still looking for cheap Supv’s then… 350 quid is only around 515-520 USD.. They are off their trolley.. Would hope that even UK based blokes with no exchange rate to worry about would avoid that sort of low rate… Not to mention to the Noggie Tax 🙁

Meanwhile in other parts of the World a tech with a couple of years experience is getting 600-700 USD with Supervisors on 950-1000 USD..

It’s the disparity we had 10 yrs back between Asia and Europe but in reverse.. Do you really think they will be able to continue finding guys with that sort of rate difference ? There are only so many guys to go round and most work for money not love…

Guess it wouldn’t be so bad if it was different companies but when DOF in Asia is paying Supv the equivelent of 630 quid a day (no tax either) How can DOF in Noggie land be paying only 400 quid for the same position and still be deducting tax ?

Seems a little fooked up to me…..

Worse still (but funny) it means that the likes of Oceaneering/Fugro in Asia are now paying more than Companies in Europe…. and that’s just for babysitting a sub during drill support.. hardly seems worth busting a nut in Africa doing heavy construction for only a 2/3rds of the pay does it?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

DJan,

Just saw an advert for a P/T for an Oz job… 300-350 GBP!!!! That’s still USD 200-250 less than the NORMAL rates. For Oz rates it’s about one third… sad…

Anonymous

USD $829 or Stirling 560 is about middle of the range for a day-rate PT1 in Oz currently based on AUD $1150.

DOF workers are due to vote on agreement this weekend to bring their rates up to these levels, all other players currently in Oz are at these levels already.

Cheers 😉

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ozifer,

That’s great news! The MUA have done a pretty good job to bring about realistic dayrates – FOR THE PEOPLE WHOM DESERVE IT !! Let’s hope that the standards stay up in Oz tho’. Let’s also hope that readers of this forum and thread see what a bit of solidarity can bring about. There are Oz companies that ask their people NOT to join the MUA but they are paying close if not the same rates (correct me if I’m wrong)… Anybody out there interested?

Clive Hutchings
    Participant

Hi
    It was me that posted this role. I’m not one to bicker but this is being led by the client. This specific position is with an Aberdeen based client and the rates reflected are based upon applicants being employeed on either paye or Ltd company basis. The rate is higher for Ltd contractors. If the client thinks they will get supply then they are sadly going to go for best price. I have cut my margin on this one purely to get candidates in. Its not what I want to do for me or for you. You need to be happy doing the right job in what is a tough environment on occaision. There are a lot of ROV people around at the moment, though still I have 3 vacancies cause no ones got the xlx or xls exp. If you have and you tell me what rate you’ll do it for I’m happy to quote the client. They are going to get to a stage where they may get a little more desperate so perhaps they will come round. Your welcome to contact me for a discussion. I’m trying to facilitate placements but I dont want ot to be at your or my cost.

Why lower your day rate, this job has been advertised with a day rate from £300-£400+ previously

ROV Pilots / Supervisors / Technitions
    Job Reference: HQ00027498
    Salary From: £ 150.00 p/d
    Salary To: £ 350.00 p/d
    Sector : Engineering Quality
    Type : Contract / Temp
    Job Description : ROV Pilots or ROV Technicians with Triton / Perry XLS or XLX ROV experience required for 5 month contracts starting end of April. Initially you’ll be offshore within the UK, off Ireland and then expect to be in Norwegian waters. You’ll need to up to date with all medical and offshore documents to include OLF for Norway. The rotation will be 5 weeks on 5 weeks off. If this sounds of interest and you have the necessary documents then please contact Clive at STR on 02392 322 322 or email your cv to ***********@strgroup.co.uk Its a competitive market at the moment so please quote your expected rate on application.

Clive Hutchings
    Participant

Hi Saw your quote, I’m quite new to the offshore market. I heard its quite busy down there right now? Any particular people you know taht I could talk to as I have staff over

appreciate any assistance you can provide

USD $829 or Stirling 560 is about middle of the range for a day-rate PT1 in Oz currently based on AUD $1150.

DOF workers are due to vote on agreement this weekend to bring their rates up to these levels, all other players currently in Oz are at these levels already.

Cheers 😉

Anonymous

Yes Scot,

I honestly don’t see how anyone can afford to pay less for experienced personnel in Oz now (unless they’re family).

There is one player that is significantly higher than the rate I quoted and he’s already published his rate elsewhere on this forum; for which he is to be commended.

There are other additional benefits also in the uni0n, such as full pay on cyclone stand-downs etc but still room for improvement on other issues such as workers compensation.

With plenty of work on the horizon we may have to erect barricades soon! 😉

Anonymous

Hi ROVJOBS,

As you may appreciate there are no apparent shortages of personnel here as everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Guys are even coming back from their SE Asian hidey-holes, despite the 46% tax rate which may be a large deterrent to some.

However, should you feel inclined I’m sure the major players are always approachable (within reason), companies currently working are; DOF Subsea, Technip, SS7, Allseas, Fugro (I think), TS Marine/Submec there may be some others I’ve missed.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

ozfifer,

Also… in relation to your below statement,

"Guys are even coming back from their SE Asian hidey-holes, despite the 46% tax rate which may be a large deterrent to some. "

The US$ rates…. that’s another 250 – 400 US / day on exchange alone!!

Let’s hope the work load and contracts pick up faster than now as the companies and agencies will stick to the abysmal rates offered.

T-Boy
    Participant

There are a lot of ROV people around at the moment, though still I have 3 vacancies cause no ones got the xlx or xls exp

Hello ROVJOBS,

Your inexperience is shining through with that comment! There ARE experienced Triton personnel available; don’t allow the client to bully you by accepting and offering poor rates, but offer current market ones, hey presto the guys will appear – It’s really not rocket science.

Cut your margins, accept desperado’s it’ll all go Pete Tong…The client has won his ‘money managing scheme’.

You need to be happy doing the right job in what is a tough environment on occaision.

I’m gonna bite my lip on that statement 👿

James McLauchlan
    Participant

At least ROVjobs added some valuable insight into the thread for those that need it. It’s quite refreshing to actually see an agency representative give some sort of explanation/reasoning behind their approach.

Of course all slots can be filled with the right kind of experience if the correct rate is on offer. Too many times in the past have I heard Ops managers say they can’t get a replacement. I think a better way of seeing that is, they can’t fill the slot for the money they are offering. Try GBP 750/day for an experienced Tech and the slot would be oversubscribed in short order!

Many companies are trying to take commercial advantage of the (land based) recession by quoting it as the reason for the lower rates on offer. The ploy is so transparent I am surprised people are even contemplating the lower rates. The Operators and companies should be ashamed of themselves, but I doubt of they are or ever will be.

In the UK (at least) the price of a tank of fuel at the pumps has risen, some in part to government taxes and some in part to operator imposed rises. On average oil has seen an increase since the start of 2009 and is holding aroun USD50.00/barrel. Soon, you will hear more about some of the profits made by the Oil majors in 2008 and how they are keeping their shareholders happy.

The offshore industry is undergoing some shrinkage but is otherwise currently healthy, so don’t let anyone try and convince you that it isn’t.

One thing that is apparent though is the glut of new ROV trainees (or those so called PTII’s with one job or two from last year) sniffing around for work. In part, I feel this over subscription was driven by the previously high price of oil, increased offshore activity as a result, and the training schools popping up left right and centre looking to make a quick killing by pumping out huge amounts of so called PTII’s.
    The rush is now over and for the moment oil has settled around $50.00. I can see the industry settling down to a little less activity than seen in the last few years. Training schools will shut their doors, the glut of ROV labour will thin out and some semblance of normality may return.
    In short, the short term bubble has burst and only those with genuine experience and talent will survive. Nature has been like that forever and the offshore game is no different.

To those of you with little experience and not getting a sniff of work… You are most likely part of the excess that will be shed through natural selection. Start looking at your options away from this game.

To those of you with a shed full of experience hang on in there for the best rate, just as some of the more established players are already doing. It will come around but not quite as soon as many are hoping.

Some hard words, and maybe not what some people want to read, but it needs to be said rather than let a whole pile of people suffer in the hope that all will be well.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar