Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Required: ROV Pilot / Tech (British)

Required: ROV Pilot / Tech (British)

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Required: ROV Pilot / Tech (British)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

I’ve seen a good few ROV job requirements that request visa’s, work permits’ citizenship for certain countries.

I wonder when we will see this?

URGENT requirement for ROV PT.

Only apply if you meet the following criteria:

* Must reside in the UK, British Citizen
    * Must have 3 years of work class experience
    * Must be available Immediately
    * Must be available for a period of min 4 weeks

Please email [insert your favourite UK agency]

DJansen
    Participant

Dunno about ‘must reside in UK’ as many of the agency guys live overseas as expats.. Whether just in Europe or further afield.. I’ve been on many jobs where apart from 2-3 salaried guys the rest of the 12 man ROV team were all Brits based overseas..

Lets face it who in their right mind would want to live in Gormless Broons Britain if they had a choice..

Get taxed to the hilt then watch the Govt fritter the money away on overseas aid, refo’s and dole bludgers… Wouldn’t be so bad if the schools, healthcare and the infrastructure didn’t need the money badly or if the average working fella had a say in where his tax was spent..

Sadly no…

Anyhow who is working for UK agency at the moment ? Terrible dayrates and worse exchange…

Not for me Ronnie… Direct and Dollars is the way to go…

ROVRatt
    Participant

James wrote:

I’ve seen a good few ROV job requirements that request visa’s, work permits’ citizenship for certain countries.

Quote:

Well then James, seeing that you live in Portugal, this puts you out of the running as well.

i am afraid that will never happen with this lot as it would be against some European law that was made up by some unaccountable person in Brussels.
    Maybe I am being cynical.
    But if countries can make a law that stipulates X amount of locals workers must be employed.
    Why not the UK?
    I see the UK government has removed a few jobs off the ‘required’ list for immigrant workers
    ROV pilot was not one of them.lol

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Probably ROV PT put me out of the running 😉 I might have been OK if it said trainee.. but then I don’t have a Filipino passport so I’d be screwed there too!

Maybe I should have written but be an EU citizen to fall in line with UK/EU wide employment laws. Still does the job though eh?

But if countries can make a law that stipulates X amount of locals workers must be employed.
    Why not the UK?

You are getting my point :tup:

The idea of such an ad initially takes some UK people by surprise but other countries get away with it quite nicely so why not the UK/EU?

Anonymous

Do folk really want global employment protectionism? Brazil for the Brazillians, Angola for the Angolans, Asian for the Asians…etc etc and the North Sea for UK passport holders only. I doubt it….. They just want the bit that says the UK for the Brits only.

Filipino’s working offshore in the North Sea is inline with UK/EU employment law. Can you explain what employment laws you think have been broken? They have been working as AB’s, stewards, engineers for decades. I guess that was OK, but now its ROV its outragous.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Hopefully we will never see this. This kind of personnel adds is a shame.

This sounds better to me:

* Must reside outside the UK

Please email [insert your favourite non-UK agency]

Topdawg
    Participant

It will more likely be like this:

* Must speak fluent Hindie or Tagalog

* [favourite agency] is an equal opportunity employer

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Ron

I get your drift…. but recently I have seen a couple of ads that make it a requirement for the applicant to be a resident of that country or have a work permit for that country. I’m sure there was one job posted for Nigeria to that effect. The person would most likely transit through that country to get offshore but it does appear that a work permit is required to do so.

There is no work permit required to enter the UK when you have the intention to work offshore in the UK North Sea. Non EU nationals can do it all on a tourist visa as far as I am aware.
    I’m not sure how it goes in Norway, Denmark or Holland on that score.

I guess the days of using slave ships and filling them up with slave labour is back upon us because that is what it appears a certain UK operating company is starting to do in this neck of the woods. Just because it’s legal under UK/EU law doesn’t make it right though. The previous slave trade was legal at the time, but is was still banned in the end!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

They have been working as AB’s, stewards, engineers for decades. I guess that was OK, but now its ROV its outragous.

As a result of your last batch of posts and this little ditty I am sure people around here are left in no doubt as to your agenda and your attitude, so I am warning you now ….. tread wearily.

It’s not only ROV that find it outrageous (as you appear to imply) It’s other trades being affected as well.

Recently three SS7 welders were told they were being replaced by Filipinos. A while back a subsea 7 co-ordinator was told she was being replaced by a Filipino, riggers are being replaced by Filipinos.
    SS7 tried to replace someone in the USA with a Filipino but (contrary to popular belief) they had trouble getting a US work visa for the intended Filipino replacement, so SS7 had the temerity to ask the UK person back that they had just recently told was NRB! How sick is that?

I’m sure if you found a welders forum, co-ordinators forum or riggers forum they would be just as pissed off it’s just that we tend to get ROV people posting here for some reason which may make it seem a little bias in favour of ROV. Odd one that eh?
    But it just might explain why, in this ROV forum, ROV people find this employment practice as unacceptable.

Subhuman
    Participant

This passed summer I was on a job in Canada working for a French International company that had mostly UK personal on board. I remember a few of the UK guys where upset that there where so many Canadians on board! I was one of the Canadians!

After doing my 4 weeks on board I was asked to come back after taking some time off! But when I went to inquire about returning to the job I was told they where all crewed up. I found out later that there where only UK guys on the job from one of the Agency guys I keep in contact with.

So I guess no companies are playing by the rules anymore. There was a requirement that a certain percentage of the workers on this contract be Canadian.
    🙄 😥

Tread wearily !!I think 225 is entitled to his opinion .I dont actually agree with him as i was refused a work permit for a job in the Philipines and they seem to be able to work everywhere .We individuals seem powerless in the endless struggle for work equity .I hear a certain ROV co.is punishing Brits that are living the high life in South Africa ,by changing them from a pound to a dollar rate !I think we will all be of the same opinion to that decision .

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Tread wearily !!I think 225 is entitled to his opinion

I also think the user 225 is entitled to their opinion and didn’t say otherwise.

When referring to 225 I simply said:

As a result of your last batch of posts and this little ditty I am sure people around here are left in no doubt as to your agenda and your attitude, so I am warning you now ….. tread wearily.

I was referring to 225’s agenda, Namely the practice, in previous threads, of trying to disrupt discussions by attempting to wind people up rather than sensibly discuss the matter in hand.

The user was previously warned by PM and openly in this forum.
    I’m keeping an eye on it.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

………..i was refused a work permit for a job in the Philipines and they seem to be able to work everywhere .

This helps hammer home the point I was trying to make. Why do you need a work permit to work offshore in the PI?

It is quite clear that many of these countries now require you to have a work permit before they will let you work offshore.

I see no equal opportunity when you can’t work in the PI, because they refuse to issue you with a work permit and yet in the UK there is no such mechanism. The most immigration could do here is refuse a foreign offshore worker a visitors visa and they’d need to be well out of line for that to happen.

I’m not suggesting one rule for the UK and no rule for others. I am suggesting that all foreign nationals wishing to work in the UK North sea should be required to obtain work permits. That is, in the majority, no different than many other countries policies… West Africa and USA included!

The UK seems to have an open door fill your boots policy and yet the country is suffering from high unemployment… The policy is slack and not in line with the needs of it’s citizens.

As for pay…. that is another issue being debated elsewhere in this same section.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

This passed summer I was on a job in Canada working for a French International company that had mostly UK personal on board. I remember a few of the UK guys where upset that there where so many Canadians on board! I was one of the Canadians!

Out of interest do you know if foreign nationals (in this case Brits) are required to obtained work permits to work offshore Canada or do they simply fly in and enter under the visa waiver program then join the vessel?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar