Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training ROV course output versus uptake

ROV course output versus uptake

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training ROV course output versus uptake

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    David Sherry
    Participant

we have just had a guy come out from UK on his first trip as a trainee , he is a decent guy ex army keen as mustard and has spent so far over £8500 on training but the worrying thing is that he has no basic electronic or mechanical skills or trade background , he was an army storeman previously , I will see how he gets on over the next few weeks .

Ha… What company do you work with? im sure to get a start there 😀 lol

John Bridgett
    Participant

You can get all the above as a trainee at the company workshop and in your first trip offshore and be paid for the privilege of learning.

Kindly advise the location of any such company workshops near Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.

IS

James McLauchlan
    Participant

You can get all the above as a trainee at the company workshop and in your first trip offshore and be paid for the privilege of learning.

Kindly advise the location of any such company workshops near Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.

IS

Why?

John Bridgett
    Participant

IS

Why?

You made the statement "You can get all the above as a trainee at the company workshop and in your first trip offshore and be paid for the privilege of learning." So I’m asking who these companies are in order to help other people in my area avoid the hideous training school fees.

IS

Perry Gurtin
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Either you are having a laugh or don’t get the fact that no one person can direct another individual in getting a start in the ROV game other than an Ops Manager or a well respected person who can recommend someone to their Ops Manager to give a guy the start that everyone wants. Remember agencies still have to submit the names and skill sets of people they put forward to ROV companies for the posted jobs as no one wants to send dead weight out to operate or maintain their systems. The best way is as been said on this forum a lot of times ( please check some of the past posts ), bring something to the industry and be prepared to knock on a lot of doors after you have some skills to get your start or hope for a little bit of luck because very few people give you something for nothing in this world. You can say what you think about the advice given, but believe me when I say that a good attitude coupled with a willingness to learn and remain humble are important skills that most newcomers should master prior to "becoming boastful of their perceived skills". If it was that easy to get in to this field then we would have a completely flooded market and the pay would go down even further than it already has so if you ask for an easy way in, be prepared to get either a poor response or none at all?

Regards,

Canuck1

James McLauchlan
    Participant

IS

Why?

You made the statement "You can get all the above as a trainee at the company workshop and in your first trip offshore and be paid for the privilege of learning." So I’m asking who these companies are in order to help other people in my area avoid the hideous training school fees.

IS

It won’t be at anyones front door! Plus, I and probably most working offshore, feel a trainee should be useful to the industry from the get go and be prepared to travel to where the training/work is.

When I left the military (Royal Engineers) I lived in Brighton… I had to go to Aberdeen and knock on doors for weeks, living in B&B, to try and get a start. I came back with nothing the first trip. At the time I was a diver. It wasn’t until the following year that I got a start.

As Cunuck1 suggests below… if you want to succeed in ROV you need to bring something to the industry. A Bricklayer (car salesman, HGV driver, et al. ) having completed an ROV course brings nothing, bar maybe enthusiasm,
    The industry needs technically trained and experienced people not ROV wannabes that are not technically minded.

A technically trained and experienced electrical or hydraulic tech is far more likely to succeed IMHO. The bulk of the rest will generally be in for a huge disappointment and an empty bank account. If people are not selected by an ROV company based on their existing proven technical abilities and, on not being selected, feel that maybe an ROV course might be the way into the game instead, it will likely end in tears!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Look, I know I may come across as being a bit hard and somewhat like a broken record stuck on one track… ‘You need existing relevant technical skills, skip, you need existing relevant technical skills, skip, you need existing relevant technical skills, skip… and so on...

For the life of me I cannot see why non technical people think that an ROV course will get them into the game. I’ll not deny that one or two might succeed to kick some doors down through people they know, but other than that I would suggest people look for work commensurate with their existing skills set and stop flogging a dead horse!

This isn’t an old hand moaning about new blood taking jobs.. far from it!. I would welcome anyone into the industry that can bring tech skills as, believe me, the ROV industry needs those people.

John Bridgett
    Participant

IS

Why?

IS

It won’t be at anyones front door! Plus, I and probably most working offshore, feel a trainee should be useful to the industry from the get go and be prepared to travel to where the training/work is.

When I left the military (Royal Engineers) I lived in Brighton… I had to go to Aberdeen and knock on doors for weeks, living in B&B, to try and get a start. I came back with nothing the first trip. At the time I was a diver. It wasn’t until the following year that I got a start.

As Cunuck1 suggests below… if you want to succeed in ROV you need to bring something to the industry. A Bricklayer (car salesman, HGV driver, et al. ) having completed an ROV course brings nothing, bar maybe enthusiasm,
    The industry needs technically trained and experienced people not ROV wannabes that are not technically minded.

A technically trained and experienced electrical or hydraulic tech is far more likely to succeed IMHO. The bulk of the rest will generally be in for a huge disappointment and an empty bank account. If people are not selected by an ROV company based on their existing proven technical abilities and, on not being selected, feel that maybe an ROV course might be the way into the game instead, it will likely end in tears!

No problem with any of that, you just made it sound as if anybody could nip down the road to their local ROV company!

I agree with all of your points entirely.

IS

James McLauchlan
    Participant

No problem with any of that, you just made it sound as if anybody could nip down the road to their local ROV company!

I agree with all of your points entirely.

IS

Maybe I should have been a little more succinct for those not in the know. It’s easy to assume people have an idea what we are on about when discussing things in this forum. 😳

I guess, having lived and worked around the planet over the years, the world seems a small place in that respect. I think nothing of travelling wherever the job takes me, or when starting out… where training might take me. On the other hand I am grateful, through my line of work, of being able to choose where on planet earth my home should be.. my final move was in 2013 to Vancouver Island, Canada.

Roy Simson
    Participant

James it does not matter how many times we tell these guys its very clear that they think that by doing a rov course gets you employment in the rov industry than without doing a course .

It reminds me of Lemmings !

I saw a good ad a few days ago someone had bought a AC 100 and was now doing a Rov training course in accordance with IMCA recommendations.

It was a 3 week course :-

1. 1 week of theory – Introduction course.

2. 1 week of theory – Basic course.

3. 1 week of practical training together with our instructor on our training ground with the use of our ROV apparatus.

I bet his using his bath tub to train guys .

Andy
    Participant

James it does not matter how many times we tell these guys its very clear that they think that by doing a rov course gets you employment in the rov industry than without doing a course.

It reminds me of Lemmings !

Well – that’s wrong.

I dont think anyone feels you do the course and get a job.
    However some think having the course on their CV will help their chances, or to put it another way – having the course on your CV wont look bad to an employer.

The issue is its a lot of money, ‘luck’ is still the predominant factor, and the schools offering the courses dont make the reality of employment clear. Its a business competing, so what do you expect? These are big issues, but for some, its still worth it if their commited to getting a start.

The topics dead, been beaten to a mushy pulp, frozen, re-smashed and grinded into paste.

Roy Simson
    Participant

Well T1000 this debate course or no course has been going on for years and your right the courses are far from cheap , I think I have seen a 7 week course going at Fort William for over £12000 pounds .

But course or no course there are still thousands of guys all trying to get into the Rov industry . As for luck you just have to be in the right place at the right time like playing the lottery .

So give it a few more days and I am sure that someone will be asking the same questions all over again .

Raptor

ROVSKI
    Participant

I always take my advice from someone the wrong side of 55 and broke.

Andy
    Participant

I paid just under £5k to do a course, now, the company that’s just given me a start is putting me on the same course at another place… D’OH! 😯

Whether it helped me get the start or not i cant say for sure.
    But I guess it shows the company doesn’t necessarily have complete faith in courses run by establishments other than those they’ve pre-approved.

Still – it’ll be a nice refresher! 😆

ROVSKI
    Participant

T 1000, congratulations on your start as a trainee.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar