Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training ROV course output versus uptake

ROV course output versus uptake

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training ROV course output versus uptake

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    liddelljohn
    Participant

There are some guys who come into this industry with no previous relevant experience who do get a break and do well, one example I know well is a Spanish supervisor at Fugro who was only a waiter in restaurants on the Costa del sol he started as a raw trainee with them on a low wage now after 9 years in the game he is actually a very good bloke to work with and one of Fugro ‘s better PTs very knowledgable and hard working he must have really sweated it in the early days and read up every text book and manual but it is rare ,,,, some people actually get in and drop out in first year .

I came into this game with 30 years in Enginnering and telecomms so was not going to waste money on a course , paid my own offshore saftey ticket and medicals then trawled the companies for a break in 2006 ,, took 4 months and got in the door …

Andy
    Participant

T 1000, congratulations on your start as a trainee. Your an instant expert now, telling a veteran Raptor with 40 years more experience in the industry than you that he’s wrong. If you behave like that offshore you may find your will get lots of experience on the winch and making tea as the real experts wont bother training you as you are already the smartest man on the team in your own mind. Ears open and trap shut for at least six months will make things a lot smoother. Having said that well done on getting a start. Just wait lots of folk will be asking where you got it.

ROVSKI – thanks for the congratulations!

I don’t claim to be an expert, lol – however i’ve recently been through this process, taken an ROV course, and achieved a start. So I didnt see the harm in sharing my impressions – for what its worth!

Yeh I did disagree with the statement "people think doing a course will get you employment" because basically, this isn’t what i thought. I knew it was a risky investment, but weighed things up and thought the course wouldn’t harm my chances. So ultimately, I took out a loan and went for it.

I actually agree with 99% of what Raptor says – and I think that’s clear from what i’ve posted. The training schools are negligent in how they market the course (fooling peoples expectations), which is especially bad due to the high fees. And also that luck is the main factor – and you cant do anything about that!

ROVSKI
    Participant

@ T1000, a well worded response.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James it does not matter how many times we tell these guys its very clear that they think that by doing a rov course gets you employment in the rov industry than without doing a course.

It reminds me of Lemmings !

Well – that’s wrong.

Well that’s a wide sweeping statement! It’s not wrong. It simply may not be in line with your expectations.

Andy
    Participant

James it does not matter how many times we tell these guys its very clear that they think that by doing a rov course gets you employment in the rov industry than without doing a course.

It reminds me of Lemmings !

Well – that’s wrong.

Well that’s a wide sweeping statement! It’s not wrong. It simply may not be in line with your expectations.

Not that it really matters… but technically it was wrong, as I was at least one exception of the statement – so it was directly incorrect to my situation, not my expectation.

I think I’ve been pretty reasonable justifying my comments and understanding other peoples observations regarding this topic – without wanting to be argumentative.

IMO there’s a lot of ‘aggressive’ statements on this forum regarding peoples attempts to break into ROV. Its a shared view – all of the people who attended the assessment day with me mentioned the negative slant pumped out on here in general, and that’s a shame. I don’t understand the purpose of your last comment tbh.

There are loads more ROV jobs these days than in the 70’s, and as we go deeper and technology advances more and more work can be completed by ROV’s – so can’t we expect more trainees? Sorry if wages have plummeted – for me, even as a trainee, my wage has jumped considerably compared to current job! And im looking forward to a piece of that sweet appple pie.

Any extra course or qualification on your CV is going to look good, fact. Nature of the demand to get into the industry means the odds still aren’t going to be great tho. That’s an argument for doing a course, its also an argument for not lol.

I think the risks are well spelled out. If you haven’t been diligent enough to research getting into the industry and making an informed decision based on your own circumstances – then you probably wont have the noggin to make a course count anyway.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Any extra course or qualification on your CV is going to look good, fact.

I can quote you a couple of ROV Ops Managers who would disagree with your "fact".

ANY course will not always make a difference, there are online courses, correspondence courses etc. that are worthless. If they are not accredited then their worth to the person vetting your CV is unknown – you can buy a Degree online, do you think an Ops Manager will see a Degree in Electronics from Outer Mongolia University as looking good?

HNC, City & Guilds etc. is always going to count much higher and be useful compared to ICS correspondence certificate.

One Manager a few years back used to say of Training Schools – go and do it if you want and then don’t tell anyone you have done it. They was so badly thought of.

One from the Manilla area of the planet springs to mind as being worse than useless as well.

If people wish/need to improve their qualifications, I would always say go for accredited, RECOGNISED courses. Even better if you do courses that have transferrable skills e.g. electronics C&G, HNC in Hydraulics, SQA Level 4 Fibre Optic course.You do these and put it on your CV, it looks good.

You do an ROV Training School course and come out with their bit of paper and don’t get a job in ROVs, if you go to an engineering company and wave this paper at them they will have no idea what it is and be worthless. Even if the course has meant you have been taught electronics, hydraulics and fibre optics. The Training School course is specific to ROVs, no good for any other industry hence all eggs in one basket.

Andy
    Participant

Any extra course or qualification on your CV is going to look good, fact.

I can quote you a couple of ROV Ops Managers who would disagree with your "fact"

Ray, I agree. And I’m not going to dispute real experience.

So let me back-track (a little! 8) )

I was focussed on ROV courses, so instead of claiming facts, it is my opinion instead: that when applying for an ROV job, in general, having a decent ROV course on your CV would be an advantage.

I’ll resign from this thread now, its too subjective to ever be concluded – although I’ve enjoyed the debate.

I’m looking forward to sharing my experience over the coming year as a trainee.

ROVSKI
    Participant

@T 1000. Winch – ROV, pay out. Please turn off your mic. 😆

Andy
    Participant

ROVSKI – Get a grip.
    My comprehension skills need work? I think you need to spend a little bit more time actually reading posts and understanding whats said before flying off in your usual argumentative manner.

Now your arguing with James and Ray before you have even been offshore. I wonder why this site has been perceived as negative to trainees, hmmm. Before you have any experience you already looking forward to sharing it. One might have hoped you would have saved your enthusiasm to gain experience first before flapping your gums

Would you please use your comprehension skills to identify where I have ever attempted to share my experience as an ROV PT? Let me save you some time – I haven’t. This topic is about whether or not to do an ROV induction course – something i’ve just done and have recent valid experience of (even you agree to that in an earlier post when you were suffering from a moment of lucidity). And that’s all I offer my opinion on.

And yeh – I am looking forward to sharing my future experience as a trainee in my first 12 months. A lot of new starters will and do come here looking for that kind of information. I’ve never been offshore, and would appreciate reading about something like that. I’m baffled as to why that’s such a problem for you.

Which part of Ears open, trap shut didn’t you understand.

lol – are you serious?
    What part of grumpy old git don’t you understand?

The experienced people here have gained nothing new from your banter/ insights

Well, that’s good because I wasn’t on a mission to enlighten the already enlightened. I do hope my opinion on whether to do a course will be helpful to a prospective TRAINEE though.

new technology, ROV’s are going deeper, we need more trainees, none of us knew that, looks like we should all do the course to get this secret knowledge.

I’m putting some perspective on a comment by adding some background information? I don’t claim its not well known lol. Do you understand that? I’m not sure you’ll comprehend what ive just said, so don’t worry about it for too long. Go and have a biscuit.

Get back to us when you know what OMD stands for

Is it Old Man Disease? Something characterized by being a bitter little turd?

Suggest you relax a little, and stop flying off the handle when someone offers an alternative view to one of your fellow ‘lifers’ who, as it happens can and do debate fine by themselves in a decent manner – I dont think they need your ‘help’.

You are the epitome of the ugly poster which has given this forum a bad name. Suggest you go put your slippers on, pop in another Worthers Original and switch over to BBC2. Antiques Roadshow is about to start.

ROVSKI
    Participant

@T1000 good luck with your career. Time for the young bloods to take over.

Ray Shields
    Participant

As you mentioned before it would be of assistance to other Trainees if new people to the industry such as yourself would keep updating how they are progressing, what they do when they first start, what things you wish you had known or done different etc. so that this can enable others to learn (or completely ignore, their choice!)

The internet s the only place where an argument can break out at the drop of a hat (or a sentence :D)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😆
    Oh , I like him already ! 😀
    A sense of humour and dry wit ! 😀
    Good luck in your endeavours T1000 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar