Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner So.. what’s the trick to get in?

So.. what’s the trick to get in?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner So.. what’s the trick to get in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Yarrick
    Participant

Hi,
    I recently finished an ROV course at Fremantle (Australia). I’ve got over 7 years of experience as an electronics engineer. I am very keen to start as a pilot/tech2/trainee.
    I called/e-mailed all the major ROV companies in Australia and Singapore. They all said they are only looking for experienced personnel. So there is the catch: no experience = no chance to get experience.
    So… what is the trick to get into the industry? Wait for the right moment (maybe it’s winter or stormy season or something)? Call them every week, so they get annoyed and hire me just to stop me from calling? Should I try in other parts of the world, but is anyone going to take a trainee from the other side of the globe?
    Please help!

kangaroo
    Participant

I think it is a case of missed the boat!

Many Trainees have been taken on by companies over the last 2 – 3 years and most companies have enough of these right now.

On average we are getting 4 – 5 posts a week on the board now from people like yourself trying to get a start in the industry right now.

In fact, there is a shortage of experienced personnel and a lot of accidents are happening with ROV Operations at the moment, and I think Clients are starting to get a bit sick of it. The last thing they want to see right now is more Trainees out on the job.

There is quite a bit of pressure on Supervisors as well out there, as a lot of their offshore teams have inexperienced personnel. Sometimes the Supervisor cannot even go and have his meal these days if the ROV is in the water because the other 2 members of the shift are too inexperienced to be left in the seat alone.

ROV Training Organisations should be well aware that the market is starting to get flooded with Trainees at the moment, and perhaps it will take 12 – 24 months for this to even out, and demand be there once again for Trainees. Then again, I guess they just want your money and will tell you anything you want to hear. Many experienced people on hear have warned new people wanting to get into this industry not to go and do an ROV Course!

UK Season is starting to wind down now as well, so you could not have picked a worse time of the year to try and get a start. A lot of experienced personnel will drift back to Asia, Australia and the US now the season is almost over in the UK.

barrowmafia
    Participant

It can be difficult to get into the industry, i think one of the ways to make yourself standout from rest of the hundreds of cv’s that a company gets, is to go to one of the companies offices and meet the project managers face to face. Ability and qualifications are all well and good but if you are an arsehole, they will reget taking you on. If you go in with a friendly attitude and show a bit of intrest in what is in the base, this may set you apart from the rest. When they can put a face to a name, it does help.

Also do your homework, look up the vehicles that the company uses, download manuals etc. With your background you will be able to suss out how they work in principle.

Offer to work in the base on a trial period, maybe they are short handed and need somebody for a few weeks to do some work on a system. You may get lucky.

Other than that contact an agency and do a few trips as a winch bitch. The agency will bill you out as such so the companies will know what they are getting.

Good luck

barrowmafia
    Participant

Check your private messages

outsider
    Participant

Kanaroo.

More than a far comment.

And probably one a lot of new starts should take heed of.

Training companies will promise you the earth, in return all they want is your hard earned cash!

Preid
    Participant

Ideally, know someone in the game.

PaulB
    Participant

FACT! – despite what commentators on this website may say, I have received 10 emails in less than 3 weeks from successful ex-students from The Underwater Centre in Fort William who have now obtained ROV work. As you should be aware, I cannot name the students because we have something called the Data Protection Act – but you know this, don’t you?

Well done and congratulations to all these candidates – I’m sure this will put a different angle on what the vast majority of the minority here are saying. I have at least 3 other ex-students who have been short-listed with one of the big 7 companies. Good luck guys!

One of the contributors on this thread who "spent Β£15,000 for some shiny bits of useless paper" has also just got a job (and tries to Snob us 😯 ), well done and good luck to him too – though through no help from us I’m sure – he should be able to earn more than this in 4 months. As for the rest of his career, this will be real income. Not such a bad investment when you put it like that. At least 5 of the 8 ex-students from this person’s ROV course are also now working in the ROV business. FACTS that haven’t been mentioned either ❗

As many of my ex-students know, I have a large network of ex-students on my mailing lists (the majority of whom are working) who I advise about job vacancys. The vast majority of these people look at the ROVworld website for a few weeks, then hardly ever again. I have companies and contacts emailing me looking for our trainees too, and I feed this information to my current and ex-students.

As many of you will see, there is a lot of information and mis-information on this website (that is the nature of anonymous forums) where some people/organisations use such media to discredit others for their own purposes.

Paul Bury
    Head of ROV Training & Operations
    The Underwater Centre (Fort William)
    http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    email; info@theunderwatercentre.co.uk

Preid
    Participant

One of the contributors on this thread who "spent Β£15,000 for some shiny bits of useless paper" has also just got a job (and tries to Snob us 😯 ), well done and good luck to him too – though through no help from us I’m sure – he should be able to earn more than this in 4 months. As for the rest of his career, this will be real income. Not such a bad investment when you put it like that. At least 5 of the 8 ex-students from this person’s ROV course are also now working in the ROV business. FACTS that haven’t been mentioned either ❗

Paul Bury
    Head of ROV Training & Operations
    The Underwater Centre (Fort William)
    http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    email; info@theunderwatercentre.co.uk

Yeah he had to wait three and a half months to finally get a job after sending out thousands of emails and calling every HR person and his/her mother. His overdraft on his bank account is now in 4 figures and he’s very thankful he’s no dependants.

As for his training, why are his company sending him to Global marine for 3 weeks? When he was down in the workshop, He couldnt even pick out a hydraulic manifold on the workclass! Dont get me started on fibre’s…

When they took my certs for photocoping, they left the UWC mouse mats on the table.

The reason I got a job is because of who I know and obviously not what I know, says something dont it?

Data Protection Act lol, whatever…

CENTURIONQX
    Participant

Thank you Paul for saying the truth about ROV and for encouraging people like us who are new in the ROV industry. I believe we all have our lucky days. Some people are not focused and positive about themself talkless of their career. That guy who said he PAID Β£15000 FOR A SHINY PEICE OF PAPER i think he should think before he say anything on this forum. People are spending more than that kind of money to get to where they want, so for him to have spent Β£15000 in UNDERWATER CENTRE, it is not a waste of effort rather is a step in the right direction. He should be grateful for taking ROV course in UNDERWATER CENTRE, for experienced people like MR.PAUL BURY and others to have taught him what ROV is and what ROV can do for his life in terms of his career and the money he will get paid through out his ROV career in any of the companies he will be working for.
    I was a student in UNDERWATER CENTRE and i cannot and will never regret ever spending my money on the course. Even though i have not secured an ROV job but i know that one day i will join the industry. We need encouragement not saying silly things about UNDERWATER CENTRE. I will remain positive in life and i beleive i will do better when i eventually get into the industry. Many thanks to Mr. Paul Bury and co for their unending effort.

TheWheel
    Participant

If The Shoe Fits-
    I’ve been reading your posts for some time now. I’ve watched your flying video on You Tube which was quite good and read your profile. As a former Underwater Centre graduate, I can tell everyone first hand that the misinformation you have spewed on this sight is way off mark and quite plainly sour grapes. You are a very young person with absolutely zero offshore experience and yet you have a good job with a good company. Do you really think they would have given you a position in ROV’s with a Fisherman’s background? You talk about certs. What certs do you have that would qualify you for any kind of an ROV position besides the ones from Underwater Centre? You’re not fooling anyone here with your poisonous posts. You are a very young and inexperienced person who has a very good job and who needs to do lots of maturing very quickly if you want to stay in this game.

Preid
    Participant

Thank you Paul for saying the truth about ROV and for encouraging people like us who are new in the ROV industry. I believe we all have our lucky days. Some people are not focused and positive about themself talkless of their career. That guy who said he PAID Β£15000 FOR A SHINY PEICE OF PAPER i think he should think before he say anything on this forum. People are spending more than that kind of money to get to where they want, so for him to have spent Β£15000 in UNDERWATER CENTRE, it is not a waste of effort rather is a step in the right direction. He should be grateful for taking ROV course in UNDERWATER CENTRE, for experienced people like MR.PAUL BURY and others to have taught him what ROV is and what ROV can do for his life in terms of his career and the money he will get paid through out his ROV career in any of the companies he will be working for.
    I was a student in UNDERWATER CENTRE and i cannot and will never regret ever spending my money on the course. Even though i have not secured an ROV job but i know that one day i will join the industry. We need encouragement not saying silly things about UNDERWATER CENTRE. I will remain positive in life and i beleive i will do better when i eventually get into the industry. Many thanks to Mr. Paul Bury and co for their unending effort.

First off, I could of went to college for a year and got a HNC in electronics. This would of been a free course and i’d of recieved a bursary to attend.

Secondly, the global marine course costs Β£3500ish. Probably around Β£4200 inc accomodation and expenses. Compare that to the UWC. Where exactly does the Β£12 grand each student pay’s go? Β£15k or Β£4k, you decide.

None of the companies recognise the bits of paper. It says we’re upto P/T level 2, not even close.

Also my friend, how long has it been since you done the course and what is your backgroud?

I’ve been reading your posts for some time now. I’ve watched your flying video on You Tube which was quite good and read your profile. As a former Underwater Centre graduate, I can tell everyone first hand that the misinformation you have spewed on this sight is way off mark and quite plainly sour grapes. You are a very young person with absolutely zero offshore experience and yet you have a good job with a good company. Do you really think they would have given you a position in ROV’s with a Fisherman’s background? You talk about certs. What certs do you have that would qualify you for any kind of an ROV position besides the ones from Underwater Centre? You’re not fooling anyone here with your poisonous posts. You are a very young and inexperienced person who has a very good job and who needs to do lots of maturing very quickly if you want to stay in this game.

I wouldnt say way off the mark, I take it you’ve been to the UWC? The grapes will remain very sour until my bank account balance doesnt start with – . I’ve spent every free second when i’ve not been on the simulator down in the workshop, asking questions, getting some experience with an modern work class machine. Something you wont get at the UWC.

I got a test when I went to my interview aswel as a very experienced ROV guy asking me a fair load of questions. If I hadnt attended a short hydraulic course and had my head in books since leaving the UWC I can safely say I would still be looking for a job today.

Who the **** are you to say im immature. Am I not entiltled to an opinion, is that it? Since im young im automaticly a renegade who’s just waiting and happy to fill up a moon pool? I’ve no ego with a fair dose of common sense, i’m not afriad to ask a stupid question. A stupid question beats a stupid mistake. Yes ive landed a great job with a great company, dont think for a second im going to balls it up. I leave to go offshore possibly at the end of next week. On my return im off to a manip course and if i’ve time maybe another hydraulic, just so I have it on paper.

5 out of 8 of my class got work, I bet they’ve all got a fair few suggestions to improve it. I bet the 3 who are out of work feel pretty much the same way I do. As for my fishing background, yes its ****ing useless. It goes to show its WHO you know and not WHAT you know. I know about 8 guys who work for the company I now do, all my references came from people who work for the company (bet you know now who they are Paul πŸ˜‰ ) I got my CV pushed and got a interview, I impressed and my references were great, I got the job, simple.

Here’s pictures of the two workclass ROV’s from the UWC. I wonder if they’ve hit the water since my time at the UWC. Where does the Β£96k per class go Paul?

Allegedly
    Participant

Alas, poor Yarrick…whoops, sorry, that was my mate Yorrick.
    Well, not posted for a while but this one looks like it could run and run so I thought I’d put in my ha’pence worth,( no, don’t ask, pre decimal currency UK and will show my age and that’s secret. The attitude, well, you’ll have to judge for yourselves).
    You sound like a pretty swithched on bloke, so no doubt you’ve read ALL the site mate. Most of what you want to know is on here, somewhere. The job, however, my antipodian chum, is not here but out there, waiting for you.
    Ignoring what appears to be a hijacking of your post, lets look at it.
    Good back ground. Right questions. Bit limited in your possible work area, (one flight and a patch of water is the same as another flight etc.), what’s wrong with the rest of the world? Europe, Middle East, S.E. Asia, Caspian and Black Seas, GOM, Carribean, S America et ‘kin cetra. The worlds a big place and there’s gold in them thar seas. I can also assure you, there’s plenty of ex cons, both in the offices and offshore. Just so, as an Aussie, you don’t feel alone!!
    Seriously, work that CV. And work it again. Send it out. Hone your accompanying letter. Bring to the fore the bits that will grab the eye of the guy reading it. Condense it so page one tells all, particularly the bits that catch their eye, hands on, practical knowledge in the electronic, electrical, engineering, hydraulics. ROV relevant. You’ve got the foundation, convince them on page one.
    How many companies are out there? How many are building new vessels? And where? Leasing others, semi subs, jack ups, gaining new contracts, developing new fields, embracing new technology, hiring new ‘hot’ managers. This is your homework, mate. I do it, follow everything, read and know everything there is to know about who you are approaching. Then, casually drop it in your accompanying letter how interesting this is and how you’ve ALWAYS wanted to work there, on that, doing that, with them.
    This, with your CV, must go to ALL of them, agencies as well. Eighty, hundred. You get ten replies, thats good. Two possible interviews, ‘kin good. And keep sending. It may take months, it may take a week. Just be prepared to get turned down. Don’t get disheartened. You want it, keep after it.
    The price of a barrel of oil is ridiculously high and as an old cynic, I think the companies are using this money to develope and set up the deep fields that used to be economically unviable. ROVs are the ONLY way to setup, maintain, inspect and repair them. So, good news for us.
    You’ll read and meet the negatives, ignore them. Make up your own mind but approach with an open one and gain your opinion from your own experience.
    Regardless of our thoughts on the various schools worldwide, the companies are employing new guys on a very regular basis. One poster points out a preponderence of newbies offshore, fair comment but could that be, because of the continuing increase in work, there just IS a shortage of experienced hands? They’re not sitting on the beach waiting for wages to drop.
    One other point and I hate to be picky but a lot of companies still have their entry level guys, trainees, classed as PT2s.But any good accountant will add in PT3 and PT4. Its a well known ploy to increase the levels to slow down pay increases. So, if you’re a trainee you’re a trainee, what ever the company decides to call you but dont forget, we all started there, regardless of what some of your ‘old hands’ may want you to think. Me? I was in Baghdad while they were in their dads bag.
    Good luck ‘cobber’ (do they really say that down there?) and ignore the whingeing wankers….that’ll be Poms to you!!

Allegedly
    Participant

One more thing. Stop f*****g bleating like a brat, Pried and grow up. Get on with the job. You’re entitled to your opinion, sure but dont bring any ‘kin obsession offshore or you wont last a shift. No one holds their age against the young lads coming into the business, they’re judged on their attitude and abilities.
    And by the way, while you’re studying, get a book on basic bloody english.
    I’ve worked with pikeys (I f*****g hate pikeys) with a better command of the language.
    And no, I don’t want a dag.

Preid
    Participant

Bleating is it? I didnt bring up the UWC, I had no intention of it either. I simply responded with my opinion of the UWC. Hardly an obsession lol.

Do I care if my speeling and grammurs not perfect as yours is? Will you be highlighting it with the other bad speelers on the forum or is it just another s*** go at me? I’ll be sure to mention to my mentors I need a good lesson in english before I go offshore (I hope they can understand me). I’ll tell them to **** the hydraulic and manip courses, that i’ll cripple the operation if im let loose afshire wit mah curant skilz n onglash.

Youre probably the biggest piker here.

senior
    Participant

Listen, Listen, Listen You wee nonsensical; Jumped up self opinionated Ba**bag, It may be you think(ahem ahem), that you are right, ……………..but according to the thoughts off………….(well not according to your off-shore assesments, you are a wee cuddie and if you wish or dream for your career (ahem…….cast those nets..ahem ….ahem), to continue, you should be greatfull of them, and their knowledge that has been passed onto you( can you see the light without the losses (db).

I done the course and I am working off-shore, fairly straight away………..
    …………………………………………………………………………………………….No sour, immature grapes from me or anyone in my class………………….
    think for yourself wee-bouy. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar