Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Subsea 7 drop West Africa Allowance

Subsea 7 drop West Africa Allowance

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Subsea 7 drop West Africa Allowance

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Bristar
    Participant

Having a paycut sucks… but a company can’t operate too well without staff. They obviously think that those people in Subsea7 won’t make too much of a fuss.

shaf-ted
    Participant

All the talk from the big wigs about cutting back yet Mr Fitzgerald has just been buming himself up about how he earned £650k last year and topped it up with a further £300k + bonus, it doesnt get any more hypocritical does it.

terre_haute
    Participant

Whilst I am in no doubt that S7 are trying to reduce costs at every opportunity, I think there is another factor present in this situation. Recently they have used the ‘increased security risk’ factor in order to refuse and also to minimise shore leave when a vessel is in port in Brasil, also they have refused overnight stays in rio for offshore personnel.

Surely no coincidence that the recent offshore employee reps meeting raised the subject of if it is so dangerous in Brasil why are the staff not receiving an uplift?

Have any S7 staff on this forum refused to goto Africa before? if so what was the basis of the refusal and what was the outcome?

DJansen
    Participant

Funny what the jealous office types will do to prevent offshore fella having a ‘free’ holiday somewhere fun.. Before if you did a trip somewhere decent and asked the office to pospone your flight home by a few days it wasn’t a problem.. It was one of the few perks we had… No there is a myriad of excuses.. usually about insurance or liability etc… Wank!

So if somewhere is seen as being to dangerous to go ashore surely an uplift should be required ?

On the other hand somewhere genuinely dangerous like Africa the companies try the old cheapskate routine.. and drop the uplift.. more Wank!

Just say no is the answer… it works !

Some time back one of the companies decided it wanted to do away with the door to door for guys going to Africa.. The whole crew told the Supt they wouldn’t be returning for their next swing.. Guess what ?
    a couple of days later the new policy was cancelled.. and the guys were told it had been a ‘mistake’ by someone new in the office
    😆

Well like Scotbev said.. If you have the money and the stones just take a break.. There is work out there and they will still need exp staff.. For me I’m having a great time.. longest break I have had in close to 20 yrs.. Makes me wonder what some fellas do with their cash ?

You earn (on averagve) in a day what some poor fellas earn in a week.. then spend 6-7 Months offshore a year for 10 or more years.. But don’t have a penny saved for a rainy day ? 🙄

I’m prepared to take the rest of the year off if the work offers don’t improve.. certainly not prepared to work for less (in $ terms) than I was 2- 3 yrs back..

Economic downturn ? Yeah tell that to the blokes with expenses accounts and company cars… How about they lead by example and have a pay cut first…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Cheers DJansen. Pretty much sums up my sentiments of the attitude of the orifice wallies and such and the frustration. Mind you, your one of the 10% that CAN do what you want… Most of of us didn’t see the crap start of this year coming – especially after the usual platitudes, promises, and plans. S _ite! 6 jobs offered going down the tubes in late Jan. – mid-Feb.

quaich
    Participant

This industry has really gone to the dogs!

Quote of the month.

SS7 more so IMO. Especially in the last couple years.
    Don’t normally post on here but heres my thoughts.

In my opinion what set SS7 apart in years gone by was the way they treated their staff.
    They got away with not paying top rates as guys (well I can only speak for myself really) wanted to stay as they treated us well.
    They actually took into account what your views and preferences were and tried to accomodate. Many stayed for that reason alone I think.
    Those days are fast disappearing and may have already gone.
    I don’t think I’m wearing rose tinted glasses either. Sure some may have had a few bad experiences with SSOL of old but on the whole I would say the majority were happy the majority of the time which is all anyone can hope from an employer.
    They’re not against bullying and apply excessive pressure to get you to tow the line now.
    It’s upto you how to deal with it. Many will roll over no doubt and thats what they rely on.
    Some may have no option but to roll but for those who don’t SS7 are playing a dangerous game if they want to hold on to their experience.
    SS7 is no longer what it was and the guys who may have thought their was only one ROV company to work for will hopefully reavaluate.
    If I’m being honest I could probably put myself into the above bracket.
    Theres been a few changes in the office since the SSOL / Halliburton days and I think the problem lies with the new regime (mentioning no names)
    Stopping the Africa bonus has came as no surprise to me. We’ve changed from employees to shaftees.
    Yes we were always shaftees to an extent. It’s just the length of shaft has changed.

KeyserSoze
    Participant

Well, like the old saying goes guys,

"How far do you want it up you?"

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

quaich,

I’m afraid it’s not only SS7 whom are shafting us offshore dogs….

James McLauchlan
    Participant

quaich,

I’m afraid it’s not only SS7 whom are shafting us offshore dogs….

True… but this thread is about that one particular company.

I think the other thread, Pay cut due to the economic downturn why? covers the rest of the bunch.

http://www.offshore247.com/news/art.aspx?Id=13469

Another interesting read!!!
    the shaft is getting longer 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Just to put things into perspective, as this information is freely available in the public domain at: http://www.offshore247.com/news/art.aspx?Id=13469 I think a small extract might be in order…

Originally Published 21.04.2009 09:10:51 by Patrick Mcloughlin

Subsea7 blows away expectations with Q1 profits
    Norwegian oilfield engineer Subsea 7 posted Q1 earnings which blew away market expectations, the Olso-listed group saying that national oil groups and the industry majors are retaining their spending levels despite the global economic slowdown.

The company reproted good project execution and being profitable in all its regions, posting a bonanza Q1 earnings before interst, tax and depreciation – EBITDA – which came in at $110m.

That performance was up from the $107m recorded for the same period a year ago, but hugely up on the predictions of analysts reported by news agencies of just over $80m.

There you go guys n gals… the company posted Bonanza Q1 earnings. Nice 🙂

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

James,

A flushing toilet comes to mind…. Greed and insecurity come next. I’m awright Jack!

Herman
    Participant

Policy in Angola is that personnal is not to walk outside the staffhouse on its own.

Granitecity
    Participant

Yes its offical that S7 and Itech7 have dropped the hardship allowance for most countries in Africa( EG , Congo, Ivory Coast, Ghana ) apart from Nigeria. Got the letter the other day. They will review each new country and decide whether or not its dangerous enough to warrant the £15 a day.

Also they are threatening offshore staff with losing their jobs if they refuse to go to Africa. According to senior managment 85% of S7’s business is in Africa and they are looking to increase their market share. 👿

Lots of people have been hauled into the office for a ‘chat’ lately.

DJansen
    Participant

Just shows how naive the nobs in the office are..

You want staff to go to Africa ?…. Make it worth their while.. Offer a generous bonus and you will have crew quewing up to go..

Offer 20% of dayrate a day extra Or a fixed ammount accross the board say 60 quid and they will have people only too happy to go..

Pay the same as the North Sea and Med with no incentive and WTF would anybody go there ? Long flight in a stinky cramped plane, poop accomodation, unfriendly natives and crap food/facilities..

I work offshore for money.. not love.. Pay me enough and Ill go pretty much anywhere if I figure it is worth it… No incentive = no interest….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar