Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Subsea 7 drop West Africa Allowance

Subsea 7 drop West Africa Allowance

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? Subsea 7 drop West Africa Allowance

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    zincanode
    Participant

Well said Shaf-ted

"How on earth can [Initials removed] say the infrastructure has improved neither him or his cronnies have been near the area.What about the malaria,long flights,threat of being robbed,food poisoning"

At Christmas I got pulled into hospital after a medical check revealed I had picked up a nasty critter that was munching my liver – courtesy of trips to Africa over the past 5 years. Also, I was told that constant antimalarials (you know, the ones you have to take or the company will fire you) have possibly weakened my kidneys. Now, unlike the bosses, I don’t get free BUPA coverage, nor disability insurance. I passed my offshore medical, but there’s a possibility that I’ll have to retire early.

So next time the Suits say that Africa is safe – point out that it’s not only guns and knives that kill offshore workers.

Push for the "danger money" if you want to work there, and give them the reasons above if you don’t. Africa can be enjoyable, but it is never safe.

shaf-ted
    Participant

SS7 dont see West Africa as a hazard anymore, mmm so what is a hazard in there minds..The Bourbon 101 had pirates onboard (3 boats of them, approx 15 natives) who stole all the mooring ropes ,ok no one was injured but that was because they were not disturbed ie they weren`t seen only by one of the Angolan AB`s on his first trip offshore who never informed anyone till the next day, gives you an idea of the numpties you have working with you.God knows what they would have done if someone saw them , life is very cheap out there.One of the Angolan PT was robbed at gunpoint and the Bridon test engineer robbed at knife point, But its no longer deemed a hazard to be working in west Africa.Please explain that one !! 😕

digitellus
    Participant

Angola? Lagos? Dundee? Middlesborough? Liverpool

Bloody good run ashore but to be honest i am usually more nervous in some of the ports in the UK

Micbeth
    Participant

I agree with Digitellus, the malaria and yellow fever in Middlesborough are diabolical.

ROVmonkey
    Participant

“We advise against all but essential travel…”

This is not my advice but the advice from the UK government! This is echoed by other foreign governments…

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/

Also under Angola:
    “The World Health Organisation (WHO) Pandemic Threat Alert Phase remains at Level 5”

But I guess SS7 shore business employees who sit in a nice safe Aberdeen office dreaming about their next foot up the SS7 ladder creating a fancy PowerPoint show off to the management and accountants about how much black and white savings on paper they can take….

What evidence does SS7 have to back this up?
    What is the source of this evidence?
    Where is the official SS7 report?
    Is it from official independent sources?
    Who at SS7 is qualified in analysis these sources and was the report reviewed before issuing?

We all know that statistics are regularly use in a creative manner and are tailored to fit the desirable conclusion…

We all know people who have been robbed in Africa, suffered medical side effects from taking anti-malarial’s, food poisoning leading exotic reactions forcing them off work….how many people does this happen to in the North Sea???

We all SHOULD know these large corporate company’s will pay the least amount of money they can get away with and don’t care for you or me despite what they say in there glossy company mags.

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Have I been cloned?

🙄

Monkey

ROVmonkey
    Participant

Think SS7 are looking into this also… 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

Too many Monkeys.

Where’s a monkeyhanger when you need one?

Oh aye, down with malaria!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar