Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Canyon Pilot Tech Rate 345 GBP Agency

Canyon Pilot Tech Rate 345 GBP Agency

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Canyon Pilot Tech Rate 345 GBP Agency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    deepseacon
    Participant

Was offered 2 Temp day rate contracts with Canyon both were with Canyon’s Trenchers.

The rate offered was 345 GBP as only Pilot Tech slots were available.

345 GBP is a very low rate for this type of work any comments as why Canyon is so Low.

me
    Participant

What location?
    it is very low, very 😡

deepseacon
    Participant

One contract was North Sea / Norway so was 345 GBP Plus 10% as Norway Tax would apply.

The second one was North Sea Southern Sector Area.

ANCHORMAN
    Participant

Son sub were paying £345 for pilot tec aswell. Thats abroad. Is it low or is it the going rate.? I have been working at a higher leavel than pilot tec but cant help feel the work is not back to full speed yet. The rates are indestery driven. Suply and demand. So I hope as the work picks up so will the rates. My heart goes out to trainees as they must be disheartend but stick in there lads the good time will return I hope.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Yes, it is low. But what’s the root cause? It’s not just this one company.. it’s starting to take hold across the board.

Demand will probably not outstrip supply whilst there are scores of fresh PTII’s (note they are not called trainees) being continuously pumped out by the training schools.

The way I see it, these ‘trainee’ PTII’s can be used on a job as PT’s straight out of the box as their ticket clearly categorises them as a pilot tech grade and not trainee! This means the companies an pay lower rates for new PT’s and squeeze the rates down for existing PT’s.

I really do think the IMCA has pulled a fast one here. They wrote the rules which in effect give them a fresh supply of PT’s straight out the training schools! This means the bulk (I did not say all) of IMCA members are themselves pretty much absolved of the responsibility of having to invest in training any new offshore talent. It’s a win win situation fro IMCA members that has been dumped on the ROV industry, from on high, and it shows!

All you can do is turn the work down. If everyone did that, the rates would go up but we all know how ‘one for one and one for one’ many people are in this game so there will always be someone around the corner ready to go out cheap and undercut rates just to get their first job.

This issue will never go away until the industry get itself organised internationally, from the bottom up.
    Being led from the ‘top’ by the IMCA (with guidelines written by the very International contractors that want rates as low as possible) is not the way forward as we can clearly see.

thomas
    Participant

This is yet another attack on our industrty.

We have OI,SS7,Canyon,who next?

Surely most rov people can see this creeping cancer happening.

Lots had the mentality of lets join the RMT then we can strike and get more pay.

That is not the answer as it will never happen.We have a simple solution on how to arrest this cancer by bonding together internationally to tell these companies that it is harming our futures and they should desist from taking it further.

We already have bone fide companies pledging their support for a body such as the IROVA and will work with us.

Its a simple fact that the majority rules ,and I feel safe in saying ,there are many more ROV workers and bone fide companies than ,the as yet few who are using us.

Nothing can happen very quickly but it can happen quicker if bystanders came into the fold and supported their industry rather than wait to see which way the wind blows.

I and others are putting our time and money into trying to help our industry and so far all we have asked is some support.

We CAN change things but only as a majority body.

DJansen
    Participant

I’ve turned down three jobs in the last Month… All because of ‘low ball’ dayrates… Why travel half way round the World for a rate lower than what I was making 2 yrs ago.. To be honest they were all agency jobs.. I never know if the company is being cheap or the agancy is trying to pad it’s profit.. 400 quid a day for an experienced Supv is taking the pi55… another was offering 725USD a bit better but nowhere near the money usually paid … Like James says.. Just say no Okay I know it’s hard if you have a mortgage and a family but accepting shite rates is just gonna make everbody suffer…

So much for the companies screaming out for experience…. They may want it.. but they don’t want to pay for it…

deepseacon
    Participant

For me i dont know where the 345 GBP come from as i have only 2 weeks at slighty less than that in the last 4 years. (OI)

Might as well go and get a Riggers Ticket get issued with radio and become Deck Foreman and surely get paid more for less work.

ANCHORMAN
    Participant

I have been working as sub eng For £400 and feel that is a fair rate. I am now trying to become a supervisor as I feel ready to make the jump. I am asking £450 but dont know if anyone will take me on at that. Am I selling myself short and messing it up for others.? Please advise so I can put myself out at a fair rate. No slagging off thanks just good advise.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Son sub were paying £345 for pilot tec aswell. Thats abroad. Is it low or is it the going rate.? I have been working at a higher leavel than pilot tec but cant help feel the work is not back to full speed yet. The rates are indestery driven. Suply and demand. So I hope as the work picks up so will the rates. My heart goes out to trainees as they must be disheartend but stick in there lads the good time will return I hope.

Good times will not return if you younger guys keep accepting those sh1te rates…

Anonymous

Might as well go and get a Riggers Ticket get issued with radio and become Deck Foreman and surely get paid more for less work.

Good times will not return if you younger guys keep accepting those sh1te rates…

On vessels, western riggers are few and far between, having been replaced with cheaper labour. There are always folk that will do the job cheaper then you. Keep working and dont become obsessed with day rates. The general trend it always upward, with a few small dips along the way. Many folk think the work and rate increases of the last 4 years would continue forever, it never does.

keep working at dont listen to the folks that have knocked back "10 jobs already" because of the rate. Its the hight of the North Sea season and things are still a bit tight, the end of the year will be tighter.

DJansen
    Participant

225:
    It’s the North Sea with the worst rates right now.. Why work there ? Might be great if you like football and fookin mushy peas… Yes it may be the ‘high season’ there but ROVing is a global industry… Plenty of other places to work during the european winter.. I understand what you say about keep working don’t worry about the rate but getting stuck on a job paying poop and then missing a job with a decent rate sucks.. I hate getting four weeks pay for five weeks of my time.. Which is exactly what is happening when you work for less.

Anchorman: 400 quid may be a fair rate for a sub eng it depends on the workscope and how much experience you have. Main thing is not to get dropped into a shite job with a weak team on your first few outings as a supv.. Thats bad enough when you are getting a good rate but really shitty if you’ve take 20 quid less than standard to get a crack at supervising.. What I have issue with is companies asking for experience but offering up low rates or worse pleading poverty and asking me to consider cutting a few quid of my asking price.. I can do the job so pay me ….

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

DJan,

Now where have I heard that before (re:drop of dosh)???? It sounds sooooo familiar.

Anonymous

It’s the North Sea with the worst rates right now.. Why work there ?

The point is not about working there, per se. The North Sea is a high percentage of ROV work worldwide. If things look quiet or lower rates at peak North Sea season then I expect it will not improve over the winter. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed those prima donna type folks, full of there own self importance, but usless are always the first to complain about the extra £10 they think they should be earning.

Get the most you can of course but keep working for yourself and your family. Thats what matters. Knocking back jobs for greater good of the ROV community as has been suggested, is quite frankly laughable.

Like James says.. Just say no Okay I know it’s hard if you have a mortgage and a family but accepting shite rates is just gonna make everbody suffer…

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I’m sure we are all in agreement that the cost of living slowly but surely rising.
    Inflation is reducing true spending power, yet ROV rates are slowly being eroded.

Soon, I suspect, the rates will drop even further.

What happens when the co’s start offering less than GBP £300 for PT’s? Then less than GBP £275??
    Do people accept those rates and keep working?

Later the market may be tested again at GBP250/day or £225/day for a PT.

Where does it stop?

IROVA aside ….. All sensible suggestions, on working to resolve this issue, are welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar