Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Canyon Pilot Tech Rate 345 GBP Agency

Canyon Pilot Tech Rate 345 GBP Agency

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Canyon Pilot Tech Rate 345 GBP Agency

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

400 GBP is laughable as it is guys. Insp. eng. (3.4’s) are making up yo 950 / day and quite frankly, I’ve seen some that are definitely not worth that by far!!! And yes, riggers are getting more. Surveyors in some instances as well… Shall I go on. Folks can "take care of themselves and family"… sure, great, OR we can get our collective arses together and try to stem the blood suckers from getting that extra pint out of us….

ROVSKI
    Participant

Scott your beating a dead horse. With people like 225 pretending to be wise whats the point. Time to retire and resurface for the plums when they appear or do a short course and repeat "appears to be" over and over 12 hours a day.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Scott your beating a dead horse. With people like 225 pretending to be wise whats the point. Time to retire and resurface for the plums when they appear or do a short course and repeat "appears to be" over and over 12 hours a day.

You may be right ROVSKI, you may be right indeed…..

ROVSKI
    Participant

I held out for the greater good and just been rewarded with a nice little earner in OZ.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I held out for the greater good and just been rewarded with a nicer little earner in OZ.

Good on ya’ mate!

ROVSKI
    Participant

As for this rubbish about waste of time holding out for 10 GBP, hows about 435 GBP above that quoted rate (in OZ dollar) plus 10% super. Should make as much as 225 in one year instead of two. Keep on spreading that dont worry about the rate all you want it fluctuates. 😯 😯 Had a great 11 months with the family time to earn a living not a pittance.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Gets my vote :tup:

deepseacon
    Participant

Had an e-mail late Friday for one of these contracts again this is an exact copy and paste of the e-mail.

It’s an 80 Tonne ‘I’ Trencher. Day-rate would be GBP 350 – likely to be Senior Pilot Tech slot-at least initially.

rovnumpty
    Participant

Gents.

As I posted in another topic, I think the main problem with the day rates just now is due to the agencies themselves, and the way the ROV companies are now run. Market Forces are now the driving factor on agency rates.

Hiring and firing of contractors is now mostly the HR departments domain, with little or no consultation with the operations departments. So they put forward only the cheapest options first.

The agencies, in order to get the lucrative contracts, will cut each others throats on the day rates in order to be the cheapest and get the contract.

They’re not about to lose the 20%, so it’s knocked back down the line to you, resulting in rates such as the £407 for supervisor I was recently offered.

The moral of the story is: Get out of contracting now if you want higher rates. Staff positions are are better paid, and are likely to remain so even if the industry does get busy again.

thomas
    Participant

Rovnumpty,
    If everyone went to staff then who will fill the seats?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Rovnumpty,

Err the staff members??

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Gents.

As I posted in another topic, I think the main problem with the day rates just now is due to the agencies themselves, and the way the ROV companies are now run. Market Forces are now the driving factor on agency rates.

Hiring and firing of contractors is now mostly the HR departments domain, with little or no consultation with the operations departments. So they put forward only the cheapest options first.

The agencies, in order to get the lucrative contracts, will cut each others throats on the day rates in order to be the cheapest and get the contract.

They’re not about to lose the 20%, so it’s knocked back down the line to you, resulting in rates such as the £407 for supervisor I was recently offered.

The moral of the story is: Get out of contracting now if you want higher rates. Staff positions are are better paid, and are likely to remain so even if the industry does get busy again.

Numpty,

That pretty much sums up my sentiments and thoughts on the subject…. What is strange is that the same agencies will pay premium prices outside of the UK…. WTF????

Harry
    Participant

Going back a few years when the exchange rate was better than 1GBP=USD$2 I can’t remember anyone complaining about getting paid GBP255 for example and taking USD$500+. Now the exchange rate has changed by a lot the other way and people moan. The guys earning GBP and spending GBP are not a great deal worse off than before. Guys earning GBP and spending USD (or AUD eg) are stuffed. There is more to the rates than meets the eye, not saying that companies haven’t been cutting rates also on USD jobs. One of the basics in money is keep most of it in what currency you spend. I think the sooner people realise it is a free market the better. If some one does a job cheaper than someone else, they will get the work. And until that person stuffs up and costs the company money they will adjust to that rate.This is not the best scenario to keep the rates up and unless people take action that is the way it will go. There are many areas of the world that are open slather,but like other posters have said Aust rates are pretty well set and quite high.In my opinion there will never be a "standard" day rate setup across the world,it just won’t happen, supply and demand will ensure the best people will go where the best pay is and it will always be in a flux as the world economy moves with oil prices/stock markets/exchange rates/competition between companies.Rant over.

liddelljohn
    Participant

And there is one major agency and a slightly less well known agency who are leaders in propelling the rates down hill in co-operation with IMCA and certain big operators , the agenciesy i am talking about are both located in SE UK and constantly undercut by 10-15% on rates being offered by other agencies and it tries to get exclusives with the majors .

i used to work for both until i worked out what they were about ,but now source work at higher rates through other agencies

use your noggins boys …support IROVA …. boycott gougers and IMCA they are not your friends.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Rovnumpty,

All staff? I suggest It’ll never happen.
    Not everyone can go staff because there are simply not the staff places available to be filled. There never will be either.
    Companies will not take on huge numbers of employees because it will cost them more in the long run. The bean counters will never allow it and will continue to sanction the use of agency people to take up the slack.
    Hence the agency v staff tug of war will prevail.

The reason agency people exist is because the operating companies in this industry will not keep permanent employees numbers to the level that will cope with high demand periods.

There are so many agencies in this game now, all trying to compete for the same work, that it’s screwing the system for the agency guys.. who, if this forum is anything to go by, themselves seem prepared to go out on lower and lower rates.

If this carries on It’ll soon be cheaper for companies to use more agency people and start shedding staffers! The bean counters will see where the break point is and the operations managers will have no say in the matter! In all likelihood staffers will be fired (on paper) and offered new foreign contracts (probably out of Singapore) with crappier pay and conditions or have no option but to leave.
    The staffers know they will have to sign the new contract because the company will make it quite clear that there are cheaper agency people out there ready to fill their slots!

So, if agency rates are going through the floor staffers might need to appear a little less smug about it, as the knock on effect of this mess might actually be them being sent down the road and coming back as an agency bod!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar