Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates ROV are the lowest paid offshore workers

ROV are the lowest paid offshore workers

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates ROV are the lowest paid offshore workers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

This is one carried over from the old forum

Read these public documents:

http://www.schilling.com/intranet/browse.php?sess=0&parent=30&expand=1&order=name&sortname=ASC

http://www.deepseasystems.com/downloads.htm

Some facts:

ROV are the lowest paid offshore workers – experienced offshore riggers quite often earn more….Most companies charge you out at US$1000 per day (more during a mobilisation), and pay you US$400 or less….

Pay rates have not kept up with inflation.

Very few permanent postions are available.

Be ready to go on a days notice anywhere in the world, or choose another career.

It is seasonal, my ROV instructor always told me to have a second job planned onshore – after I had paid him $ 8000 to be on his course.

Anonymous

Hi, your story is interesting.
    I m about too do this rov pilot/technician training ( I m from the stats and french also), and as a trainee, is it so hard to get a first job, with the basic electronic skills.
    thank you.

HardScrew
    Participant

I find it hard to believe that ROV Pilot/Techs are the lowest paid offshore workers. I have recently joined to ROV idustry as a trainee and my starting wage is greater than my previous job as a 2nd Marine Engineer working for an above average Paying Dive company. I know for a fact I was not the lowest paid worker onboard, as rating are paid lower rates AB’s/ Crane op’s/Motormen/Stewards. Are they not included as offshore workers??
    I apprieciate that there may be gaps in employment contracts, however when work is plentiful it seems there is good money ROV’s. Also can I point out that Project crew including Riggers also make good money when the going is good.
    In some work places Deck foremen, Rigger’s and dive crew will make more money, especially after that nice LITTLE pay rise the RMT secured them.
    I would not have made the change to ROV if I were to lose out on the coin side of things as like most people have the mortgage to pay.

ROV lowest paid offshore workers is a very Bold Statement.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I find it hard to believe that ROV Pilot/Techs are the lowest paid offshore workers. ………………………………….

In some work places Deck foremen, Rigger’s and dive crew will make more money, especially after that nice LITTLE pay rise the RMT secured them.
    I would not have made the change to ROV if I were to lose out on the coin side of things as like most people have the mortgage to pay.

ROV lowest paid offshore workers is a very Bold Statement.

Hard,

That was last year 😮 check the date, BUT you’re right. Since then, I’ve got another $150US / day (tho’ the greenback sucks now – thanks for farqall Georgie!!). 27 years in this biz’ 6 of which were crap(not consecutively). The pay is and always has been higher than almost all / majority of survey dudes / dudesses, marine crew, catering (of course), alot of barge personnel, and even some drilling crew. I’m talking about expats… Once again all, you cut your own deals. 💡 8)

Cowboy
    Participant

I’d say it’s pretty true.
    The majority of us are trained/qualified in some technical discipline be it Hydraulic/mechanical, electrical/electronics/avionics and for the skill sets we have we get punted back to apprentice wages and have to work our way back up again.
    Compared to Roustys and Roughnecks we’re on shit pay. Typical Rousty is on at least 24k a year and for what? Scrubbing decks and painting? Anyone with half a brain cell can be a roughneck and immediately go to earning 30k plus. I mean stewards earn more than most Pilot-Techs, no disrespect to the stewards but how hard is it to make a bed and wash towels?

We have to have a technical trade (or someone on the inside) to even get looked at and we are then expected to learn another in order to perform our jobs efficiently. I came from Hydralic/mech and had to learn about the electronics stuff and vice-versa. Some guys who have never picked up a spanner have had to learn the mechanical stuff on the systems.

ROV pay rates are a joke. I guess we just have to live with it as it seems the majority in this industry have no interest in sticking together and actually doing something about it even after having seen it done by the divers

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Cowboy,

I hope you’re referring to GBPounds!!

Is it me or are the seniors in the industry not speaking out enough about the disparity of rates??? Guys / gals??

bennyrov
    Participant

It all depends on what company you work for. I am making twice as much as i was after workin 7 years with my previous ROV company , and i have only been with my present company for three years. They are good about kepping our pay up to date.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Benny,

Hence my statement about the disparity in wage levels….

All the rates across the board for all jobs offshore have increased drastically in the past 6 months. I may just retract one of my statements now (re: ROV pay being higher than most offshore jobs…) as it seems the employers / clients aren’t keeping up with the ever-spiraling price of oil and the rest of the O & G industry…. As of late….

😳 😳 😕 😕

piedpiper
    Participant

I know a lot of people who are on a lot less than me, offshore sparkies, mechies. Dive techs are on less than me. Lets get realistic, 75.6 K (thats in GBP by the way) for a supv…..is not too be sniffed at ! Saying that I won’t say no to anymore.

piedpiper

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Pied,

You’re doing okay dude!! Enjoy.

ROVWORKER
    Participant

It’s not also the pay but the companies that’s treating us like crap. The money has come up a bit. As supervisor I’m making approx 580.00 US plus 50 to 100 bonus depending on which region of the country I work in. Not the best but show me or send me something better and I’ll for sure look twice.

Cheers
    ROVWORKER

worried
    Participant

Agreed, rates are far too low. Couple of years ago I was working on a boat where the night cook was on more than me (supervisor)!

Still worried.

StickAddict
    Participant

And he should be, poor guy had to stand around in a kitchen for 12 hours where the most exciting part of his evening is separating plastic products from your half eaten dinner. At least you where playing with underwater robots.

Bottom line, if you are getting paid less than the cook and you are a super, you are working for the wrong people.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Become a cook 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

But don’t call the cook a carunt!! Not even koonta-kintee!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar