Home Forums General General Board ROV WORK

ROV WORK

Home Forums General General Board ROV WORK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    star
    Participant

Is it just me thinking it, or is the jobs out there in the ROV industry a bit few and far between at the start of this year?

😯

ekmonster
    Participant

a bit few i think πŸ™

Anonymous

Business as usual dudes…

ctown
    Participant

I’ve been off now for over two months (rare for me). I’ve been in the game for 4 years, and never seen it like this before. I know its gotten slow a couple of times before, but now the economy is in the toilet. It’s got me nervous. Not in the fact of me needing money, but from a long term career stand point. I hope I can get a few more yeas out of this. Any wisdom from the old timers here?

Jason Garic
    Participant

IMHO,

I think the bubble has burst.

Late 90’s started the growth. Hurricane Ivan, Katrina, and Rita started oil prices on a sharp increase. Increased activity world wide to get more oil online and cash in. Serious increase in manpower and assets (ROV-wise). Things are finishing up in the gulf in regards to getting infrastructure online post-hurricane. No sense in starting new developments now that oil prices have tanked.

Even the slow times post-hurricane have been busier than the pre-hurricane slow times. I think all the currently planned for projects will be completed and a return to exploration is ahead. Projects will be planned for when oil prices return to satisfactory levels. Until then, things will continue to slow down.

Rigless de-commisioning/abandonment seems to be on the rise. Rigless well remediation also.

You’ll see ROV systems starting to stack up here and there. ROV companies will clean house somewhat in regards to personnel.

rovtastic
    Participant

Bubble has burst???……Maybe slow a bit but no where near burst….Come on guys if your phone has stopped ringing then maybe you should be asking yourself why?…..Maybe your not as good as you think?…Construction work is still happening everywhere…If your not getting work then you have obviously been at the bottom of the barrell and now companys don’t have to scarpe it as much???…. 😳

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Bubble has burst???……Maybe slow a bit but no where near burst….Come on guys if your phone has stopped ringing then maybe you should be asking yourself why?…..Maybe your not as good as you think?…Construction work is still happening everywhere…If your not getting work then you have obviously been at the bottom of the barrell and now companys don’t have to scarpe it as much???….

Thats the sort of reply i have come to expect from some of the w*nkers on this site, no wonder we will never be able to unite and demand fair pay, conditions etc etc with this I’m al’right Jack attitude. πŸ‘Ώ

Micbeth
    Participant

Is it just me thinking it, or is the jobs out there in the ROV industry a bit few and far between at the start of this year?

Isn’t it always slow in January, independent of the state of the industry?
    From my experience those in positions of influence or who are well connected always want Xmas/New Year off, regardless of their regular rotation, then want to come back to work in January. So for the non-salaried or those without a regular slot there is plenty of work over Xmas and very little in January.

Well I just think you have to look at a company like petrorbras who have announced a plan from 2009 to 2113 to see that the construction work is there.
    I admit the price of oil just now will not help proposed projects but I don’t see it all negatively.
    There will be work out there ( for experienced guys lol)
    To say there will be ROV systems stacked up everywhere is perhaps a little premature???????
    I know for a fact the work is out there……. for the right person of course lol

ctown
    Participant

[If your not getting work then you have obviously been at the bottom of the barrel and now companies don’t have to scarpe it as much???….]

Mr. Fantastic, Oh! My mistake… ROVtastic, I’ve been working with the same company my entire career thus far. I’m always one to be depended on. I’m not at the bottom of any barrel sir. My company as a whole along with many others are very slow now. I was asking for intelligent input from the old timers here who have been in the game awhile, its now obvious that your not one of those guys.

[Thats the sort of reply i have come to expect from some of the w*nkers on this site, no wonder we will never be able to unite and demand fair pay, conditions etc etc with this I’m al’right Jack attitude.]
    {Flycatcher, I couldn’t have said it better myself! 8) }

Ray Shields
    Participant

Its Winter time. Its usually slow. We have been spoilt because in previous years its been ultra busy. Think back more than 5-6 years ago and things were always quiet about now.

Jason Garic
    Participant

FWIW rovtastic,
    I’m the guy om the other side of the ringing phone. Keeping track of the barrel, per say. Our barrel is doing well too.

I mean no "gloom and doom". A lil’ research shows most of our worldwide oil storage is filled to capacity. Some of those bailed out banks used their money to fill up tankers with this cheap oil. Their gambling on oil prices going up EOY. A good bet, I think.

A look around shows a few newer Rov systems are back on the re-sale market.

I could discuss further; but, my post is about another matter.

Peeps need to manage their money wisely and prepare for slow times. It can get, and has been, a lot worse than today. Few of us were in the "patch" during the 80’s. It was ugly when the bottom fell out of oil. I don’t think it will get that bad.

You’ll probably see bigger companies gobbling up some of the smaller ones. It’s normal and expected.

I’m a fan of chaos. Times like this will seperate the week from the strong. If you’re stuff is wired tight, you’ll be alright. If you’re floating by, maybe not so good. So I agree with what you are saying.

Might want to work on that ego thing though;)

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Bubble has burst???……Maybe slow a bit but no where near burst….Come on guys if your phone has stopped ringing then maybe you should be asking yourself why?…..Maybe your not as good as you think?…Construction work is still happening everywhere…If your not getting work then you have obviously been at the bottom of the barrell and now companys don’t have to scarpe it as much???….

Thats the sort of reply i have come to expect from some of the w*nkers on this site, no wonder we will never be able to unite and demand fair pay, conditions etc etc with this I’m al’right Jack attitude. πŸ‘Ώ

Hear, hear fly…

Yes it is slow. Happens every now n’ then… like every 4 to 6 years. Hmmm… maybe guys are working cuz’ they’ve took lower pay… I’ll sit, if necessary (but for how long…?). Indeed the" I’m awright Jack" attitude. Self 1 – solidarity 0

Mag50
    Participant

I believe that around March ROV jobs will pick up. The ROV market is just like all other markets, in certain times of the year jobs slow down. Especially when Hurrican season arrive they may cause a pike in the GOM and trickle to other area’s. It will get better and when you think about it we are feeling as bad as those guys that do 9 to 5.
    I think GOD that im in the offshore biz and have ample experience.
    "So, hope for the best so when it comes you will enjoy it."

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and take what is acceptable…. simple.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar