Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Who’s Hiring

Who’s Hiring

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Who’s Hiring

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

Well i dont like people coming out and say we can do both and when sh!t hits the fan, oohhh not to sure about this but i can do the hyd stuff, and the other way around, seen it to many times

Me too…. I am immediately suspicious of anyone, when asked, when they say they are both disciplines.

Jack of all trades and master of bugger all springs to mind. Seen it too often.

luckyjim37
    Participant

You could also try Mansell recruitment who seem to recruit for a couple of the companies as well as having the odd dayrate job.
    Most of the communication I have had with them has led to telephone interviews for staff positions which is not what I am looking for at the moment.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Omega resources in Stirling recruit for a couple of the companies as well.

They also keep sending emails regarding some clever new fangled way to dodge paying tax.

Toni Morgan
    Participant

I amazed how someone can be in the industry for 2 years or more and not know all the fields hyd, elctronics, mech and electrical (high voltage). If you are serious about being a pilot/tech you should know them all. Come on there are so many courses you can do to improve your chances of getting work as rov pilot/tech.

Paulo Lee
    Participant

I amazed how someone can be in the industry for 2 years or more and not know all the fields hyd, elctronics, mech and electrical (high voltage). If you are serious about being a pilot/tech you should know them all. Come on there are so many courses you can do to improve your chances of getting work as rov pilot/tech.

Get a life. There is more than only ROV in Life. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mark
    Participant

Probably not the most ideal first post to a forum but i dissagree. I’m a sparky by trade but can wank a spanner, stick metal together with a welder and do the basic hyd jobs but i would never ever class myself as a hyd/mech tech.

Apprentiships are 4 years for all of them trades so to learn 2 of them in 2 years would be pretty impressive in my opinion.

The worst thing you can be in this industry is a bob (bit of both) as that normally means your neither and crap at both.

Cheers Mark 😀

bt
    Participant

Why does a bit of both make you crap ROV tech ???? or does that mean you think your better than everybody else just cause you`ve done an Apprentiship ( which doesn`t mean your good at it).
    What about all the people that have done HNC/HND `s does this also make them crap.
    Very bold statement

ROVRatt
    Participant

bt wrote:

Why does a bit of both make you crap ROV tech ???? or does that mean you think your better than everybody else just cause you`ve done an Apprentiship ( which doesn`t mean your good at it).
    What about all the people that have done HNC/HND `s does this also make them crap.
    Very bold statement

At the end of an apprenticeship you have to pass a trade test to become an artisan. Your statement is incorrect, as, if you’re not good at it, you won’t pass the trade test. An HNC or HND is great if its done in addition to a trade test. On its own as a purely theoretical academic qualification, the holder has serious liabilities when it comes to practical work. The supervisor wants someone that can fix the ROV, not someone that can design it, as this has already been done.

A person holding a qualification in one direction will have a greater insight into the trades that he doesn’t hold as he has technical insight. The unqualified bit of both guy is a serious liability and is closely watched by the real artisans.

I’ll bet that most bit of both guys would have a difficult time explaining why the same AC voltage source will have a peak value about 30% higher on an oscilloscope than the reading obtained on a multimeter.

bt
    Participant

okay ❗

so you don`t get good and bad tradesmen only good?????? and you don`t gain knowledge and experience on the job?????

😆 god know`s how crews get by without anybody on the crew that has done an apprenticeship ❗ 😆 😆 😆 😆

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

All,

I’ve had guys on my crew that didn’t even finish high school but were good with their hands and they LISTENED / OBSERVED very carefully / took notes. And a few of them have become outstanding pt’s and supervisors. Had others with most of the alphabet after their names who couldn’t put a nut and bolt together. Bull_ _ it walks, action talks.

boroman
    Participant

The trouble in this industry is it is full of chancers, and bulls*****s.
    You read the CV’s and you know straight away most are lying through there back teeth.
    Yes there are some good guys out there but they are few and far between, most of them have been around a long time, there are also some dinosaurs out there as well.
    Iv’e seen guys out with over 20 years experience and they are still no more than a trainee level !
    There are a lot of young guys now coming through, some will make some won’t, the industry needs this young blood.
    You don’t need a degree to be a ROV pilot, a bit of common sense a willingness to listen aned learn, do all the courses that the companys throw at you and you won’t go far wrong.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

You don’t need a degree to be a ROV pilot, a bit of common sense a willingness to listen aned learn, do all the courses that the companys throw at you and you won’t go far wrong.

That just about sums it up.

But it helps if you have come kind of mechanical or electrical/electronic background so that you are of some use from day one on the job.

On ROV jobs I’ve seen ex-uni students offshore with degrees in engineering and very handy at computer aided design. Tickets coming out of their ears, looking good on paper, but one didn’t even know how to use a spanner! Another had no idea what a Phillips (cross head – it didn’t matter how it was explained) screwdriver was. So, practical hands on experience is also a bonus :tup:

So is the ability to communicate…..

So….. who is hiring? I need job… Send me flight tickets and I will be happy. 😉 I have big CV and not English good so much but do hardly working!

Mark
    Participant

Very bold statement

I didnt say being a bit of both makes you crap rov tech but what i did say is that if someone says they are "a bit of both" that normally means they cant do either. Think of it this way if someone who runs a power station wants an electrical job doing who do they call? They dont call someone who doesnt have the qualifications and isnt legally an electrician but can wank a spanner or do a bit of hyd work do they aswell as a bit of electrics.

Where the offshore industry falls down is there are a lot of people who have got into this industry as painters, joiners, labourers etc and have then became tradesmen overnight (usually calling themselves mechys) or who call themselves electricians but dont have the qualifications to back it up. This sort of behaviour wouldnt be allowed back onshore so why is it allowed to go on offshore?

Disclaimer: I aint saying all these diluties are all bad cause i have met a few that are good, and same goes for time served people with all the qualifications that are absolutly shite.

iROV
    Participant

This will give you an idea how this problem has been overcome by the industry bob. ➡

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

ROVRatt
    Participant

iROV wrote:

This will give you an idea how this problem has been overcome by the industry bob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

Correct, this field of study is available in universities and involves a lot of practical projects. You are still not a bit of both but a one of everything.

However, being accepted to do such a field of study would be easier for someone with a trade ticket (A lot of one) than for someone with a bit of both or a nothing of anything.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar