Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 341 total)
  • Author
    Theblackfingernail
    Participant

Black Tuesday has arrived!!.

It’s with regret we have to inform you H M Revenue & Coustoms have notifief us today that following the Special Commissioners decision on the Pride South America, the guidance to disalloed vessels is to be revised. This guidance should be available from December 2008, however any Seafarer’s Earnings Deductions Claims submitted after 14 January 2008 are to be considered in the light of this new guidance.

The following vessels will be added to the existing list from 14 Januray 2008 will no longer be considered ships for Seafares Deductions purposes:

1. Construction,
    2. Construction support
    3. Well service
    4. Dive support vessels.

This letter was from a tax agency.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

sunseeker
    Participant

WELL THIS WILL HIT EVERYONE FROM MARINE CREW /DIVING & ROV

SO LETS ALL PULL TOGETHER & STRIKE!!!! WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO!!!!

OR ALL ROV GUYS STRIKE UNTILL WE GET A PAY RISE TO OFFSET THE LOSS OF £15/20.000 + A YEAR 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁

Bacaruda
    Participant

Never a better time to join the RMT/OILC then !!!

sunseeker
    Participant

Y YOU ARE NOT WRONG THERE !!!!!!!
    BUT WE NEED TO GET THE AGENCIES TO DO THERE PART & JOIN TO PROTECT THE GUYS WORKING FOR THEM

rigboot
    Participant

I thought this was a wind-up

Unfortuantely, spoke to Inland Revenue today and this is indeed true.

Yet another incentive gone, why F##king bother

Steve
    Participant

FABULOUS

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ah thats all right then, survey boats aren’t on the list 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Ah thats all right then, survey boats aren’t on the list 😀

No… but they will be considered on a case by case basis.

If you feel that still might bring a smile to your face consider how well individuals get on with the might of the HM revenue on a case by case basis

James McLauchlan
    Participant

This received onboard (Island Wellserver) by email today. Not by me I might add!!

Meridian Taxation Services Ltd
    Registered office: Armada House, 15 New North Road, Exeter EX4 4HF

Sep 22, 2008 02:58:09 PM, enquiries@meridiantax.com wrote:

It is with regret we have to inform you H M Revenue & Customs have notified us today that, following the Special Commissioners’ decision on the "Pride South America", the guidance relating to disallowed vessels is to be revised. This guidance should be available from December 2008 however; any Seafarer’s Earnings Deduction claims submitted after 14 January 2008 are to be considered in the light of this new guidance.

The following vessels will be added to the existing list and from 14 January 2008 will no longer be considered ships for Seafarer’s Earnings Deduction purposes:

* Construction
    * Construction support
    * Well service
    * Dive support vessels.

Any other vessels working in the offshore oil and gas industry will be considered on an individual basis and will depend on the actual work undertaken. If a vessel is classed as not being a ship it will not be allowed for any period after 14 January 2008. (Note, it will not be re-classified after each voyage).

* Pipe laying barges – we have been informed should continue to be considered a ship if involved solely in laying pipes.
    * Seismic survey vessels – will be considered on an individual basis.

Should you have worked on any of the above classes of vessels since 14 January 2008 it will be necessary to review your Seafarer’s Earnings Deduction claim as the income earned will be liable to tax whilst on such vessels.

Please notify us by email or letter if you have worked on these classes of vessels between 14 January and 5 April 2008 as it may also be necessary to issue an amendment to your 2007/08 tax return. Please also advise the exact nature of the duties of any vessels being considered individually.

We have made strong representation to the Revenue on behalf of our clients to defend this but sadly have been unsuccessful. It is regrettable that the decision to disallow these categories has been
    made retrospectively giving no time for mariners to review their situation prior to incurring a tax liability.

Theblackfingernail
    Participant

I wouldent laugh to hard Ray, as jamesmac says Seismic survey Vessel will be considered on an individual basis.

You can bet the H & M Customs will soon be after every penny.

I’m sure if your working an ROV you’ll be geting a letter from the man.

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

So,
    My incentive to work in any part of Africa is now….? What?

The risk vs reward equation is now severely tilted the other way. I can now state that I have done my last job in the continent of the elephant (unless the companies want to ramp up the bonuses by a large amount).

Will have to re calculate my days to get max reward for minimum days in the light of this.

They thought they were short of people before, watch this space.

The construction boys will just wind down their days.

Retirement beckons and now makes even more economic sense

Monkey

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

So Taxwise it now makes more sense to be a Norwegian resident claiming tax back?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

So Taxwise it now makes more sense to be a Norwegian resident claiming tax back?

Or at least take up residency in a warmer country and commute.

sunseeker
    Participant

Are we not forgetting that we are not alone here.Do you think that vessel Marine crew from Captain & DPO to steward & all Divers will take this obvious daylight robbery laying down.It might even be a case of we cant go to work as the vessels crews have gone on strike.
    Why leave & give in.Together Marine/ Diving /ROV bring the Industry to a stand still & see what happens!!!!!!

Cabledog
    Participant

How does this affect the guys who live in the UK but work overseas for companies NOT registered in the UK?

Yet another reason to leave "good old blighty" 👿 👿

Dog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar