Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 341 total)
  • Author
    thefidler
    Participant

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM33104.htm

This is the new ruling chasps…

5 day rule is mentioned…total load of balls…open for challenge in court…no mention of what is the definition of STATIONARY !!!

How many metres movement is stationary etc etc !!! its a joke guys,….

thefidler
    Participant
    bcklad
    Participant

Talk about bad vis…that ruling is clear as mud!!

So looks like you need a copy of the DP logs as well now. ROV might have to take a liitle walk about when the boat is on follow sub 🙂

leckytech
    Participant

Aw well, after 10 years in Seismic and getting my tax back I start on the Seawell in April…Bugger..really bad timing I guess 🙁

Pugwash
    Participant

Well, we all thought it was going to be a complete load of rubbish when the new ruling came out and we were not wrong!
    The transparency of what the HMRC is doing beggars belief. They are floundering around like a drunk at a fairground with no idea what they are doing, but just a head down determination to rip off the SED from anyone that is entitled to it.
    It gets sillier and sillier and shows up what sort of knowledge they or their commissioners posses when they start to pick at straws so blatantly. STATIONARY…..what the hell does that mean. Taking a DSV for instance, if it was stationary it wouldn’t be able to to the job. As soon as the dive supervisor asked for a move of, say 2 metres it would be moving from one location to another and therefore simply can not be stationary.
    What really staggers me is that the HMRC, an unelected body, seems to be able to act in any way it wants, even if it changes the laws and acts that the government, an elected body, have created. Is this what we vote a government in for?
    May I say that my own MP (a Conservative MP) has worked very hard for me in chasing this ridiculous situation. I will be asking him that if the Conservative government are elected at the next general election will they reintroduce the SED in the manner it was created by the Conservative government in 1991 and instruct the HMRC to refrain from any more meddling, interpreting or any crack brained schemes as they have done up to now which has caused the sorry mess that we see today!

rov4ever
    Participant

hey guys

looking at the ruling, i don’t see any word Stationary, but i do see Stationed. Is there a difference between these two words

James McLauchlan
    Participant

HMRC is splitting hairs no matter how you look at it. When operational a DP work boat is never ‘stationary’, or ‘stationed’ – or what ever they want to call it. We all know why they will not be able to define stationary because, with a DP work boat, it will always be moving somewhere as the job progresses. That’s the whole idea of a DP work boat…… versatility when it comes down to being able to shift around at short notice.

If HMRC clearly defined things then we would all know what the deal is. As it stands nobody is any the wiser.

thefidler
    Participant

Stationary means exactly that….stationary….so unless you work on a DSV or MSV that does not move…it will be stationary!!!
    Can you imagine a judge looking at this…!!!!
    Its pathetic…

stephanikaathur
    Participant

How would you explain to a child why tax credits are given? (Taxation as pertains to Ireland) (See details)? I’ve been trying to understand the whole taxation area. Up until recently I was intimidated by the whole thing, but enough is enough. I want to know the ins and outs of tax. I’ve been asking around and a few of us are pleased we are getting tax credits. Why are we given tax credits when it’s a simple matter of reducing taxation in the first place?

zincanode
    Participant

HMRC REFUNDS

Has everyone had their refund from 2008?

I got a letter in November that I’d be getting a refund but mine hadn’t arrived by 6 April 2009 so I called the HMRC 0845 number – after 25 minutes I got through to a human and asked where my money was. He said my account was showing as a credit. I asked why it hadn’t been sent to me as a cheque, he didn’t know, but the cheque arrived 10 days ago (WITHOUT INTEREST).

Spoke to my accountant who said I was the third mariner on his books who had had to chase HMRC for money. So best chase for your outstanding before the Government goes bust!

rovnumpty
    Participant

Mmmm, very interesting zincanode.

I eventually heard frrom HMRC in October 2008 that I wouldn’t have to pay back 2005-06 tax money over the whole UKPS thing.

Of course, they’d held onto 2006-07 money until it was all sorted – nearly £15K. Was assured by someone at centre 1 that the money would be transeferred to my account within 10 days.

November 2008 – no sign of it and I was offshore.

December 2008 – contacted them. ‘Very sorry sir, there seems to have been some confusion over this, we’ll issue it straight away. You’ll have it before xmas.’

Late december 2008. ‘Sorry sir, we seem to have lost all those records. I’ll get right onto this and have it issued ASAP.’

January 2009. ‘ Ok sir, we have your records, but I’m afraid evrything stopped during the holidays, I’ll get this issued with a week.’

Late January 2009. ‘ Yes sir, your claim has been randaomly selected for security (???) checks. Until that department finishes with it, we can’t do anything.’

Come mid february, I’d had really had enough. Contacted Centre 1 again, but no-one was able to tell me who was looking at my claim, or how long it would take to be ‘security checked’.

Eventually lost the rag and put in an official complaint. Things moved fast after that, and I had the money in my account within a week.

I’m reasonabley certain that, because I complained, I’ll have every claim scrutinised to the hilt now.

I didn’t post anything about this as I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was just a catalogue of mistakes. Given zincanodes post though, this may be some ‘delaying’ tactic from the tax office.

thefidler
    Participant

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2007/ukpga_200 … h1-l1g1001

GUYS SED has now FINISHED….for ever….

Once a vessel has been stationary (in an oilfield for 5 days or more,it will REMAIN classified as a STATIONARY structure for the forseeable future.

Every angle is covered….so say HELO to your new 35% PAY CUT….enjoy…

The days of milk and honey are gone,get saving up to pay that lovely tax bill of £20,000 next year!!!!

Happy days,my friends……..

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Here we go…. 313 replies and 37,326 views later(Yep thats 37+ thousand views) the thread has been resurrected once again! Obviously a very emotive subject.

Once a vessel has been stationary (in an oilfield for 5 days or more,it will REMAIN classified as a STATIONARY structure for the forseeable future

Oh! Just roll over and give up why don’t we?

I would suggest this is aimed at wellhead workover boats.

Question 1
    What exactly does "in an oilfield" mean? Inside the 500m zone, or just in the general area of the East coast of the UK and the Irish Sea?

Spot the HUGE grey area….

And, on DP, stationary means.….. ?

*Moving 2m in a figure of 8 style (aka Normal footprint when on DP in reasonable weather conditions & sea state)

*DP Move 10m (A requested move – therefore not remaining stationary)

*DP Move 20m (A requested move – therefore not remaining stationary)

*DP Move +500m (Transit outside the 500m zone- therefore not remaining stationary and technically outside an oil field)

*DP Move 1000m (Transit – the boat is going to the next work site outside the 500m zone- therefore not remaining stationary and technically outside an oil field)

*DP Move 3000m (Transit – the boat is going to the next work site outside the 500m zone- therefore not remaining stationary and technically outside an oil field)

All on DP.. been there, done that, and also transited ships greater distances, all under control of the DP system.
    Many of those moves are hardly stationary by any stretch of the imagination.

So what exactly defines stationary and "in an oilfield" in the eyes of the tax revenue chappies?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I didn’t post anything about this as I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was just a catalogue of mistakes. Given zincanodes post though, this may be some ‘delaying’ tactic from the tax office.

I missed all this. Your input is much appreciated and may well be of use to other UK based website members.

best regards
    James Mc

Steve
    Participant

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2007/ukpga_200 … h1-l1g1001

GUYS SED has now FINISHED….for ever….

Once a vessel has been stationary (in an oilfield for 5 days or more,it will REMAIN classified as a STATIONARY structure for the forseeable future.

Every angle is covered….so say HELO to your new 35% PAY CUT….enjoy…

The days of milk and honey are gone,get saving up to pay that lovely tax bill of £20,000 next year!!!!

Happy days,my friends……..

Oh no were doomed!

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar