Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 341 total)
  • Author
    ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Ah thats all right then, survey boats aren’t on the list 😀

No… but they will be considered on a case by case basis.

If you feel that still might bring a smile to your face consider how well individuals get on with the might of the HM revenue on a case by case basis

Ray,
    This all came about to review a person working on a wellhead, the definition of wellhead has been extended to include the assets subsea including pipelines, jumpers etc. I would suspect that the taxman will view any kind of TDM, as laid etc as being "construction support". Especially if it means Gordo gets a few more quid in his arse pocket. I wouldn’t be too happy yet.

Monkey

Ray Shields
    Participant

Me? I’m quite happy, I aint working more than 120 days a year.

I can understand people getting upset, but its like complaining about someone fixing a vending machine thats been giving out free chocolates for the last few years.

It was a perk that some people managed to get, that has now ended. It was good while it lasted. Many, many people working offshore have never been able to claim this perk, yet they do exactly teh same job, exactly the same time away from home, out of the country etc.

Can anyone point to an online link with this information from the Taxman? Apart from what has been posted on here I cant find any trace of it online anywhere.

Is it not this case that started it all off:-
    http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/2006CSIH8.html

In this case the appeal court decided that the definition of a ship should be more strict.

Balloo
    Participant

So lets just recap………….

UK government sucks!!

Even taking all this money back they still wont have enough to sort out the dire mess the country is in, maybe keep Mr Millband in the air though clocking up his airmiles with the royal flight!!

Checked with my accountant today at seatax, its grim, although decision from 14th jan 2008 they are intending to claw back returns from 07-08, therefore although they change rules to suit themselves from Jan they are back dating it to get money from 07.
    No stopping them there any current cases being flagged will expect to get the “rules have changed speech“

I cant see the industry sitting down for this as rules being made up as the govrnment run out of cash.

So lets see, tax on cars, tax on roads, tax on petrol, tax on whiskey, tax on anything they see fit.
    Gives us shocking roads with more pot holes than beiruts runway after last invasion, one of the worst health care records going in the NHS (only one where you can go in healthy and come out some kind of super bug – better watch out as they may tax you on that too soon, cant be getting a super bug for free)

With no incentive now offshore for working in harsh enviroments world wide and for extended periods, whats the point?? Its ridiculous!!

Im off, UK – poke it!! Not even the fish n chips will keep me!!

Expats all the way, I would rather pay tax in any other country where you get something for your money.

Well done Brown……………….your through!!

Balloo
    Participant

Raymondo

Glad you are happy and their will be some like you also happy doing the 120 or less.

But there is a bigger majority out there who like this added bonus.

dredwater
    Participant

It said Seismic survey vessels are to be considered on a case by case basis not ROV survey vessels, even if you recover a transponders tripod (for example) while on an ROV survey vessel it is considered light construction. Then again at least we still have our jobs, the real losers here could be the employees at SK Tax & Seatax?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Raymondo

Glad you are happy and their will be some like you also happy doing the 120 or less.

But there is a bigger majority out there who like this added bonus.

I mentioned this already, what majority? I do not think there are that many people who do qualify for their tax back. There is a larger percentage of people who work offshore who do not claim their tax back.

This will NOT affect the majority of people who work offshore. For the minority who have been able to claim it (I claimed mine 94-2000) its been good, but all good things come to an end. If you had to rely on getting your tax money back in order to earn a decent wage, then you need to move jobs.

The majority pay the tax and still get a good wage out of it. All this talk of strikes and moving out of the UK. Strikes – wont happen. Move out of the UK? on you go :L

I find it quite ironic that not a few months ago big Gordy had all the major oil companies roond for a blether to get production and exploration up as the oil price went through the roof….
    Then closes the tax door on the exact guys that will be doing the job!!

Cheers Broon

NT tax code coming up for me methinks:-))))

SGB
    Participant

Are we not forgetting that we are not alone here.Do you think that vessel Marine crew from Captain & DPO to steward & all Divers will take this obvious daylight robbery laying down.It might even be a case of we cant go to work as the vessels crews have gone on strike.
    Why leave & give in.Together Marine/ Diving /ROV bring the Industry to a stand still & see what happens!!!!!!

Don’t forget all the ROV crews who are not entitled to claim their tax back like drill rig crews and those working on vessels who do not get a foreign port or foreign waters in each tax year and those who by no fault of their own can’t get the 183 days plus banked days in. It is a rather selfish attitude if it is expected that these join the strike of all strikes and support those who have getting their tax back for years. What incentive have they got to offer support?. The tax rebate is a huge bonus and is something that companies do not offer as a perk. For all those who are used to it we have got to deal with it because companies will not say "oh don’t worry we will make up the difference but only for those who are entitled to it, so don’t tell the drill rig guys" Its a crap situation but this has been on the cards for many years.

liddelljohn
    Participant

The guys here at Subsea7 have been told that the Inland revenue considers this ruling retrospective and will be claiming back Tax to 2001 .some guys may have to cough up £100,000 . They are shitting themselves.
    I dont think that retrospective taxing is legal,they have also been told that they will be taxed by Inland revenue even when working in Angola and pay Angolan tax on top . I thought there was a No double taxation rule.

This is a nightmare if true.

Looks like this North sea vessel will be crewed soley by expats next year at this rate .

Ray Shields
    Participant

The guys here at Subsea7 have been told that the Inland revenue considers this ruling retrospective and will be claiming back Tax to 2001 .some guys may have to cough up £100,000 . They are shitting themselves.
    I dont think that retrospective taxing is legal,they have also been told that they will be taxed by Inland revenue even when working in Angola and pay Angolan tax on top . I thought there was a No double taxation rule.

This is a nightmare if true.

Looks like this North sea vessel will be crewed soley by expats next year at this rate .

There will be a lot of rumours and half truths going about. I very much doubt it will be made retrospective – when the ruling about semi’s not being ships was made in 1998, it was not made retrospective then. I can see it being made retrospective to the start of this tax year maybe.

Same goes with taxation, you will not pay tax in UK AND another country, its one or the other.

And hear hear to SGB, as I already said, the MAJORITY of oil or gas workers are not entitled to this tax perk. There will not be a mass exodus out of the UK and there will not be a sudden shortage of people to work on board ships.

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Same goes with taxation, you will not pay tax in UK AND another country, its one or the other.

Ray,
    There’s no repriciprical agreement with Angola. I was there last month. We do pay Angolan and UK tax.

Monkey

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Edited

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

HMRC seafarer tax changes

Seafarers could face back-tax bills of as much as £46,000 in a clampdown on seafarers’ earnings deduction (SED) rules.

HM Revenue & Customs has imposed a hard-line interpretation on the seafarers’ earnings deduction (SED) qualifying conditions and is challenging individual claims dating as far back as 2000. SED entitlements have been based being out of the UK at midnight on a relevant date, the tax authority has traditionally used a wider definition but is now arguing for a strict application of being out of the country at midnight.

Shortsea and offshore sectors workers are the most likely to be affected, with claims totalling as much as £400m. Both the HMRC website and guidance notes on tax returns give incorrect information.

Quoted from Seatax website….400 million!!!

Either a lot of people or they’re going fishing back a few years

Back to 2000

Monkey

KeyserSoze
    Participant

It seems to me like a lot of people are being taken in here?

Many of us have been making numerous enquiries regarding the above and can’t find jack-shit about this recent development anywhere.

This includes several boys who have their other halves working in the tax industry.

Can anyone provide any solid links to this information?

Nope? I thought so!

HM website references to construction vessels and DSV’s etc working in the offshore gas and oil industry state that they may be accepted as ships providing they satisfy certain conditions, i.e. capable of navigation and used in navigation.

FYI, and I hope I’m not insulting anyone with this but Inland Revenue and Customs can go back many years and dispute previous claims. I wouldn’t call that a retrospective ruling though, just checking out your previous claims.

Large pinch of salt anyone?

outsider
    Participant

For those thinking about bailing and going NT be warned; if you are employed by a UK based outfit and paid from/in the UK the IR are not going to be very helpful no matter how many days out of the country you have.

I’ve been out for 2yrs with over 800 days in hand and all I got was a run around and was eventually told no they would not isseu me a NT code as I might work in UK Taxable zone. And that included trying to do it through a Full on Accountant.

Its already been pointed out Brown and his cronnies are after every penny 👿

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar