Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Sub Net Service’s (philippines training for ROV pilots)

Sub Net Service’s (philippines training for ROV pilots)

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Sub Net Service’s (philippines training for ROV pilots)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    deepbluespark
    Participant

If anyone is considering going to sub net services for your training, dont bother, complete rip off. The 3in1 course costs a tiny fraction of what you pay to subnet if you go direct to the MFI technological institute, Manila.

Sub Net Services will charge around 4500USD for that course, and its complete micky mouse, if you pay you get the certificate, that simple!

But, if you go direct to the collage, MFI Manila, then you can pic the course’s you need to do and pay less than 100USD per course.

If you want accomadation, go to Metro Dorm yourself, or subnet charge 30US per night, again they make profit on you there because it is so cheap to stay in that dorm, its full of Philippino nurse students on rotation from the local hospital on training.

The course for the Pilot training is 5000USD, but its the same cost if you do it through IDESS, which is the training facility sub net use, and sub net supply the instructor for the training there.

Again, your going to have problems either way, if you book your training through sub net OR IDESS, because they are packing recruits on to the course like sardines, so you hardly get any flying time, 14 people on the last course, even the instructor, and, IDESS admitted to us it was too many people for quality trainig……

And they show that you will be making your own mini ROV at the collage, well thats bull, the tutour who is putting that together has’nt even finished the proto type, it keeps leaking!!!

You will only fly the Navajo and Sea Botix at Subic Bay, the IDESS facility, and thats only if the Navajo has’nt shit itself, as per usual, so all the pretty pics of ROV’s on there web site is just more carrot dangling.

It just begs the question, how do they get endorsed by IMCA???

Anybody got any questions on training in Philippines, just send me your question via PM.

I might save you 11,515USD…

Ray Shields
    Participant

It just begs the question, how do they get endorsed by IMCA???

Simple. They are NOT endorsed by IMCA. IMCA have a continuous battle on their hands stopping people using their name, their logos etc. as any kind of endorsement or to use them to make them look legit.

They are members of IMCA, they pay money they get to join. You could set up a company and join IMCA if you wanted to. IMCA do not certify them or any other of their members.

They may supply training which is based on the IMCA guidelines. They may supply you with an ROV Pilots logbook that has the IMCA logo on it and has been bought from IMCA.

But this does NOT mean anyone is "IMCA certified" or endorsed – there is no such thing.

We just have to keep telling people on here this and hope that training facilities that advertise falsly soon get put out of business. Maybe if we started writing to IMCA and complaining they might get kicked out as members, but I doubt it.

deepbluespark
    Participant

OK, cheers Ray,

but the basic point of my post is to stop other people like or inlike myself as the case maybe, being ripped off by mr Gordon at Sub Net services, and to let them, if they wish, go about things in a cheaper direct route.

My advice would be to just go to MFI collage in Manila, do there electronics course’s, but not the one run by subnet cause its a joke, and skip the ROV pilot (or rather) training then start applying, if its really the area of the industry they want to enter.

I know that others who have done these course’s are as angry as i am but just wont voice up for fear of shooting themselves in the foot, and rendering there own certs useless, but someone has to pick up the balls to do so.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Please keep advice like this coming. There seem to be a lot of rip off artists out there in the ROV world.

Although:

If you want accomadation, go to Metro Dorm yourself, or subnet charge 30US per night, again they make profit on you there because it is so cheap to stay in that dorm, its full of Philippino nurse students on rotation from the local hospital on training.

The money spent on this might be worth a hedonistic holiday so long as theres a bar nearby.

aoh
    Participant

😮 deepbluespark,

Do you have the MFI contact no in Manila.

Thanks mate for the info

aoh 🙄

deepbluespark
    Participant

Mate if you want info on MFI, google it, they have a full course listing on there from carpentry to Mechatronics, ill be heading there again myself soon for a course…

The main man is Abel, for electronics, or Jonni 5 as i like to call him…

😀

ROVrids
    Participant

I agree with Deepbluespark. I did both these courses at the start of theis year and thought the Subnet organised electrical course was a complete waste of time. If you have any electrical knowledge you’ll find it too easy and does not cover anything new and if you a novice it will be too quick and hard to follow.
    Subnet are not a serious choice when choosing your training so avoid at all cost.
    It may be worth pointing out that the Metrodorm is a pretty grotty place to stay but it is cheap. There are bar’s close by and a large shopping centre 20minutes walk away.
    The Pilots course can also be booked with IDESS in Subic without going through subnet but ask if the course will have many people. I was on the course with 11 other people and it proved to be a bad time because of it.
    There are loads of places to stay in Subic but if you don’t stay on site it will take about 40 minutes every morning to get in. Not a bad sacrafice as you get a much better time in the bars.
    Again don’t forget both these courses will only give you an introduction to the world of ROV’s and there is still a huge amount you will not know until you do the work. The two small ROV’s you will train on (Seabotix 150lbv and the SubAtlantic Navajo) will seem sooooo very small and simple when compared to most of the working ROV’s out there.

deepbluespark
    Participant

If you have any electrical knowledge you’ll find it too easy and does not cover anything new and if you a novice it will be too quick and hard to follow.

This is very very true ROVrids, the course covers some very deep topics for a niovice, and will be near impossible to walk away and truely say they have took all, if any, of the info in that was thrown at them during the long day in class. Also, if your not bothered about learning unless pushed, the tutor will also not bother and sit on the internet surfing with you, if thats all you want to do, because there is no examination, just a "pay you pass" policy because sub net tell them what to teach and that what they teach is all that is needed to be an ROV operator, whereas the other course’s held there ARE terminated with an examination, on a "pass or fail" basis.

Why does’nt someone blow Sub Net Mc B*ll SH*t out the water???

scoots
    Participant

I also did the training with subnet and as all can see from the website is is marketed aggresively with bullshit about big incomes and great lifestyles etc. however my biggest gripe i had with the course was the numbers allowed on the training. When you have a class of 14 sharing 2 rovs there isnt a lot of flying time going around. Chuck in a couple of breakdowns and your really sruggling to get your moneys worth. My advice would be

1. if you dont have some trade background as has been stated on this forum/site a hundred times think twice because companies need guys who can fix things while gaining experience.

2. Try to pick a course that has fewer numbers than 14 because those numbers were just pure financial greed and not real constuctive to good training.
    ps the weather is great and the beer cheap

ozsub
    Participant

It seems guys are quite pissed off with the quality of service provided by the outfit.
    If you are in Asia and really want to do an ROV course you might want to consider the Deep Water Training Center run by Cynergetix in Singapore, they are part of the Triton group of which Perry and Sub Atlantic are part of. They have a Perry Simulator good class room facilities. Cynergetix core buissiness is ROV tooling design/fabrication/sales and rental, they are also the agent for Perry in the Asian region. Have good working relationships with all the ROV companies as they supply them with parts as well as tooling and survey equipment.
    The course does not claim to give you any qualifications at the end other than giving guys an indroduction to ROV’s, with basic Electrical/Hydraulic fault finding. The students get to go down the Workshop to see and get involved in whatever project is going on at the time be it testing torque tools just come back from a job or seeing new tooling skids being assembled.
    To date 95% of the guys who have done the course have been placed with an ROV company on conpletion of the course. Cynergetix has also taken on several guys in the workshop to help out with various projects until they do get a job offshore.
    So if you want to get rid of some money doing an ROV related course you might want to try them. Not sure on the price but I think its around the USD$6000 mark.
    They also have a Navajo but most of the hands on pilot hours are done on the simulator.
    One thing to remember to all you budding ROV wanna be’s is that flying an ROV is the last thing you should be worrying about, you need to be able to fix the thing first thats trhe hard part and you will be doing much more maintainance/repairing when you first start than flying unless of course you get on a pipeline survey and the other two guys dont want to sit on the sticks for hours of bordom. Flying or piloting the ROV is the easiest part of the whole job and once you have done a lot of the shitty stuff you will be rewarded with being able to sit on your arse and ask for cups of tea and bikkies.

😈

ROVrids
    Participant

That’s a good point Ozsub. I know the people at Cynergetix and went to see them after doing the course in the Philippines. (It’s worth pointing out I didn’t then know they were doing ROV training.) They are all experienced ROV folk and have the benefits of now being part of the Triton group. They have an excellent simulator, lot’s of auxiliary parts and yes they do have a Sub Atlantic Navajo.
    Best of all though is that they are based very near the Loyang Offshore Supply base. In fact their workshops IN the base right next to Fugro Survey. Their location means that for the whole time you are doing the course you have the chance to see the companies on the base and even network in the local bars. I’m not going to list them but there are loads of people who will show you when you are there.
    Compared with the course in the Philippines it is 20 time better and if I had known of the course before I started, I would definitely have trained there instread. No question.

http://www.cynergetix.com/

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Found this blog/link about SubNet and other training center: http://hicsuntdracones.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/rov-pilot-flying/

mrb
    Participant

WOW glad i saw you info on subnet,i was just about to part with some $$$$ to subnet.
    However i will check into cynergetix in Singapore,and also the MFI technological institute in Manila for courses,what if any certs do Subnet issue!!!!

deepbluespark
    Participant

what if any certs do Subnet issue!!!!

None…

ROVrids
    Participant

I would recommend Cynergeix in Singapore. Not sure on pricing but you’ll get a good course and its held in the hub of the south east asia oil industry. Great for contatcs. Worth more than any of the filipino courses in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar