Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Sub Net Service’s (philippines training for ROV pilots)

Sub Net Service’s (philippines training for ROV pilots)

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Sub Net Service’s (philippines training for ROV pilots)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    damo
    Participant

dear ROV Rat / all others

If you read my post u will see I never said or implied that ROV work was easy or simple.

My point is simply that any ROV introduction course / Scholl cannot teach you in a few weeks / months how to Pilot or maintain a system. It is up to the trainee and the ROV supervisor and his team to help train new Trainees to learn the correct and safe way to work on the system.
    There will always be people who want to learn new skills and are able to learn . These people need the support of the old hands ( who where once new hands as well).
    The dead heads who wonโ€™t learn or canโ€™t learn The supervisor and manager have to sort that out

However what a course should do is provide you
    1 Good quality instructors with relevant experience
    2 Instructors who can impart their knowledge in a easy manner
    impart some technical knowledge and words of wisdom Without BS
    Ever 1 has a different view of BS and tolerance for it
    Maybe if I can get some experience on systems then I will be better equipped to sort out the BS from real life.
    Having taken part in a few other machinery courses for my other jobs. I feel that the Cynergetics course is of a high standard in content and style.
    The rest ask me next year when hopefully I have some more experience on ROV systems

Cheers Guys
    Damo

ozsub
    Participant

Why is it that everytime a guy puts some positive comments down about one course or another he gets shot down in flames by others who either have been in the industry for a long time and not done a ROV course or guys who have done other ROV courses and bag them anyway.

Facts are there are not enough people in the industry to man all the systems that are coming on line in the next few years, these guys have to come from somewhere!
    No argument that ROV’s are complicated bits of kit and mechanical/electrical aptitude goes a long way towards being able to operate one. So if there are courses out there that can give guys who want to get in to the industry just a basic understanding of what goes on then why should they be bagged and put down for doing the course?
    Its up to each person to work out if they want part with the money involved to try to get a start.
    You will find plenty of guys on here and in the industry who will say they never would have got in the game if they had not done the course at whatever school, they may not have leart a lot about the actual operation of an ROV on the course but it still gave them avenues to explore to get them in.
    whether you have background in technical fields or not if you really like the idea of going in to ROV’s and you have the ability to learn then background or not give it a go, there are plenty of guys in this game who had no technical knowedge or background and have become very good at operating ROV’s, admittidly its a much harder road to take but if you want something bad enough and are willing to put in the time and effort any decent supervisor or senior tech should notice that and point you in the right direction. It will take longer no doubt but its no an impossible ask as has been proven by many.

I’m no advocate of training schools nor too much of guys who come in to the industry with out any technical background but what pisses me off more than anything is others who bitch and complain all the time about new guys wanting to get in to ROV’s, yes new guys need to research this site before asking stupid questions(them hopefully they will not ask them!) but why dont we stop putting guys down for wanting or doing courses that may help them become ROV guys or are all you guys quite happy to do 8 week trips or worse because thats the way its headed if we dont get more people in the industry as there will be no relief on the chopper/crew boat/port call!

Everybody deserves a chance to try so let them have a go its up them if they sink or swim and no matter whether they come from an ROV course, with or without technical background thery are not going to know much about an ROV or operating one for a year or so anyway until they have been on different jobs and worked on systems operationally or just maintaining them.
    Try to remember that we all had to start somewhere and didnt know it all like some of you make out!

Damo and others, if you are doing a course or have done one then good on you for comenting on how you think the course is or was, good or bad.

Whingers, this thread was started by a guy commenting on a course he did and what he thought about it so how about the thread and others like it stay focused on just that.
    Start another thread on whinging or whatever but leave these threads for what they are.

Ok off my soap box now take it away constructive commenters!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Too true Ozsub!!! Yeah, yeah, I know – I’ve been guilty of it myself I admit Re: shooting some newbie down on the forum….

Damo’s last reply is good. He’s taken a realistic approach to entering the industry (a breath of fresh air!) instead of "I’m the best, move over boys…" attitude. For the most part Damo, a good piece of advice I can part is Be a Good Listener and absorb everything like a sponge. Good luck.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Thanks Damo for clearing that up. I am not against ROV courses but the student needs to be wary of paying for one. As stated, there is a shortage of ROV personnel and due the shortage companies are recruiting those with a technical background and paying for them to do courses. This is at considerable expense to the company as it also involves paying for a greenie to go offshore and learn to do his job.

I was recruited into ROV several years ago due to my technical maritime background. The company paid for and paid me to do an ROV course. I was sent offshore as a greenie and it took a while to learn the system. I have nothing against newbies but if a company isn’t prepared to pay for you to do an ROV course they probably aren’t prepared to employ you. So paying your own way to do a course may not help your employment prospects if you do not fit the profile of an ROV pilot/tech.

One of my colleagues paid for and did the Fort William course prior to being hired by the company. He had never worked in ROV before. He was hired for his technical skills and the ROV course at FW counted nothing as the company paid him and for him to be sent on their ROV course, which meets IMCA guidelines.

Hope this sets the record straight regarding paying for your own course.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Whingers, this thread was started by a guy commenting on a course he did and what he thought about it so how about the thread and others like it stay focused on just that.
    Start another thread on whinging or whatever but leave these threads for what they are.

I agree. This thread should be allowed to continue discussion on the original topic without being side tracked by other subjects or people whinging about non related issues.

There is another thread discussing the merits of whether a technical background is a requirement or not Here

If you want to whinge about anyone… send them a PM or something.
    If you want to whinge about something not related to this topic, start another thread. They are free after all!

damo
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Ozsub, scotbeve, ROVRatt thanks for the comments and advice

Ok so if we are all clear ( for the minute ) I merely want to say that in my 3 weeks at cynergetics Singapore I feel i have being given a fairly good intro into basic ROV systems. Having being on other machine courses before (a few ) no course will teach u how to fix every fault on the machine. Let alone the 3-4 separate machines that go to make up a ROV system.

The best I can hope for is to pick up the basics of the system and listen to what the more experienced guys around me are saying. Not just about the ROV but the industry and its good and bad points.

Yes Guys and Girls . I and my Mrs I wish I didnโ€™t feel the need to fork out a large $$$$$ to do a course.
    Problem for us new guys is the chicken and egg story??

So to kill this dead once and for all I feel the Singapore course was worth while. I cant and wont comment on any other course. I made my choice for my reasons and am happy with it END END

PS dont ask me what the egg story is if u dont know it . You need to sort out far bigger problems than a F===ing ROV system .

Cheers
    damo

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Damo,
    Say hi to Stewie Kendall for me…

oracle
    Participant

ROVratt, I’ve been working for an ROV company for about 16 years now, back then ROV’s are still a dream…

well deepblue spark, I think you’re quite intimidated, very unethical of you to speak and say that I work for that company, well, it’s what you believe in… and by fact, I know your uncle and by the way you act, no company would really bother hiring you at all… as I know, you’re not on a job right now, while your colleagues are now working for an ROV company and by good fate, in my company… shame on you deepblue, all you can do is say negative words to our rookies here…

all I wish here is that we don’t feed negative inputs to our rookies who want to take the ROV career themselves, let them learn and see themselves how it is… not making them think that all is bad…

deepblue, stop spreading your pessimism in the ROV world…

I can definitely assure you, that with your unprofessional attitude, you may not succeed…

think about it…

deepbluespark
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜† haha

where have i ever said anything negative to a rookie?

Ans ROV’s were only a dream 16 years ago eh? Well, the systems ive worked on are 20 years old maybe more, and there was me thinking they were in use in the 60’s, oh, they were, just keep digging your hole oracle, the go ahead and throw yourself in, godd riddens…

Infact i give one rookie on here, this thread, very good advice and he is now working with ROV’s.

You don’t know my uncle you retard, where did you come up with that?

anyway oracle, you aint worked with ROV’s for more than five minutes, you just said on your last post you done the course yourself in philippines… Give it a rest eh, no one’s impressed and youre making a fool of yourself.

deepbluespark
    Participant

actually, I’ve been there done that… training in Manila is great… .

This is the quote,

so, in the year you done your training in philippines you progreesed to 16 years experience, well done oracle, well done indeed.

keep up the good work!

deepbluespark
    Participant

ROVratt, I’ve been working for an ROV company for about 16 years now, back then ROV’s are still a dream… …

So, look here everyone, Oracle was working on ROV systems when they were a dream, just 16 years ago, haha…

The systems ive worked on are 20 years old, and ROV’s were in use back in the 60’s.

You’re the dreamer, you’ve dug your hole, throw yourself in,

Intimidated? Yeah, brckin it mate…

ROVrids
    Participant

Deepblue,

Where are you going with this? Other than off course…

This thread was about the training in the Philippines and there to give others, namely Rookies, a chance to make an informed choice on training. Not listen to others slag each other off! They’ll hear enough of that when they come offshore!!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜† haha

where have i ever said anything negative to a rookie?

Ans ROV’s were only a dream 16 years ago eh? Well, the systems ive worked on are 20 years old maybe more, and there was me thinking they were in use in the 60’s, oh, they were, just keep digging your hole oracle, the go ahead and throw yourself in, godd riddens…

Infact i give one rookie on here, this thread, very good advice and he is now working with ROV’s.

You don’t know my uncle you retard, where did you come up with that?

anyway oracle, you aint worked with ROV’s for more than five minutes, you just said on your last post you done the course yourself in philippines… Give it a rest eh, no one’s impressed and youre making a fool of yourself.

To all and sundry….

Just to set the record straight, see links below for RCV / ROV history (say, "Thank you Scott")

http://web.mit.edu/museum/exhibitions/mitsea/

http://www.rov.org/info.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remotely_operated_vehicle#History

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Thank you Scott! ๐Ÿ™‚

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

You’re quite welcome ol’ bean!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar