Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance H M Revenue & Customs TAX Ruling

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 341 total)
  • Author

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a turn about on the revenues decision.
    I think it would take a court case to test their nerve:-))
    An answer by the revenue on how they define a vessel ‘holding station’ is required methinks!!
    How long does a construction/DSV vessel stay in one position???
    The vessel is moving all the time…be it 1m to port or 500m forward!!
    I look forward to their answer!!!!!

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

it would be nice to hear what the RMT/OILC have to say on this subject. Has anyone approached them yet ?

piedpiper

As it is such an emotive topic I would expect the RMT/OILC to make a statement. Just not seen or heard anything to that effect yet. If someone does, please feel free to post it in this thread.

I’ve just emailed them about this, let’s see what they have to say

Monkey

sunseeker
    Participant

WELL YOU KNOW THIS REALLY IS THE TRUE COLOURS OF THE GOOD OLD TAX MAN OR SOME TWIT SAT IN AN OFFICE.HOW THE HELL CAN A SHIP NOT BE A SHIP.MAYBE ASK THE MCA WHEN A SHIP CAN NO LONGER BE CLASSED A SHIP.AS I AM SURE THEY WILL HAVE SOME INTERESTING READING.WE ARE DEALING WITH PEOPLE THAT WOULD SAY ABOARD A VESSEL IM JUST GOING DOWN STAIRS TO THE KITCHEN!!!! WHAT HAPPENS IF WHILST AT SEA ON DP & THERE IS A RUN OFF DO WE ALL RUN TO THE CAPTAIN ASKING FOR A LETTER CONFIRMING THIS????

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

S100 branch informed about all this. Stuff being circulated. Hopefully we’ll see a response soon

Monkey

zincanode
    Participant

Some points

1. No mention of cable vessels and cable related ROV work gives the impression Gordon and Alistair are getting their own back specifically at the O&G industry – we ask for more pay, they get more tax, and follow the same cycle as petrol and fags. But, the cable industry has been in hard times and day rates are still low so they aren’t going to stump up as much tax as O&G.

2. Vessels used to be defined as "under way" if not attached to a wall or anchor, and "making way" if it was under power and moving. Stationary on DP with no anchor throws it into a difficult in between position – but it is certainly "under way" and thus a ship – Must admit I still can’t get my head around how a pipe lay barge that is always attached to the seabed on anchors is more of a ship (in context of tax explanation) than an ROV vessel moving a sub sea spool to site. Crazy crazy. Perhaps we need some real guidance of the legality of the government’s definitions (which seem to be at odds with the marine industry) instead of concentrating upon their intent. 🙄

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Well that’s what happens when you get a Moron in the Tax orifice 😕
    It seems to me the Labour ( coloured brown ) governement is pulling out ALL the stoppers to screw everyone ( Middle class ) as much as possible before they are kicked out !
    I seem to recall they fucked it up the last time they were in power 🙁
    When will they learn…………….. 😕 They won’t have anyone living in this country soon who works in the O&G Industry ! Talk about ‘ biting Off the hand that feeds you !
    Should be interesting to see them taxing the immigrants that have to replace us 😀

zincanode
    Participant

I see that HMRC were going to announce their change of policy later in the year

"It is intended that revised guidance regarding the interaction between SED and the PSA decision will be available on the internet from December 2008 at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM33104.htm."

Why the wait? Perhaps their IT department is even more decrepit than those we have to deal with eh 😯

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Word from S100 is that it’s being pushed up the food chain for a response, however right now Jake et al are away being trained up in RMT procedures etc, so it may take a few days.

Monkey

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Some points

1. No mention of cable vessels and cable related ROV work gives the impression Gordon and Alistair are getting their own back specifically at the O&G industry – we ask for more pay, they get more tax, and follow the same cycle as petrol and fags. But, the cable industry has been in hard times and day rates are still low so they aren’t going to stump up as much tax as O&G.

2. Vessels used to be defined as "under way" if not attached to a wall or anchor, and "making way" if it was under power and moving. Stationary on DP with no anchor throws it into a difficult in between position – but it is certainly "under way" and thus a ship – Must admit I still can’t get my head around how a pipe lay barge that is always attached to the seabed on anchors is more of a ship (in context of tax explanation) than an ROV vessel moving a sub sea spool to site. Crazy crazy. Perhaps we need some real guidance of the legality of the government’s definitions (which seem to be at odds with the marine industry) instead of concentrating upon their intent. 🙄

Just a thought, how will they differentiate between cable laying, installing electrical umbilicals and installing EFLs? Aren’t they all "cables"?

Monkey

zincanode
    Participant

If I told you, they might develop more rules!

As already mentioned on this site, HMRC have been trawling the web for the information we bring to light during our discussions…lets not give them any more ammunition without a fight! 😈

Savante
    Participant

perhaps this discussion needs to be taken offline or behind passworded access only ?

thinsub
    Participant

It is another nail in the coffin to what was still a strong british industry which I fear now is going to slowly fizzle out as this was one of the few perks left that made the job worth whille, knocking in days away from family and friends.

I fear a lot of guys will just jack it in with even more movng out to be expats. I am now considering leaving the UK myself for the first time but may just jack in the whole thing in. There are easier ways to make money paying less tax.

Thinsub

Well i know of 2 guys who are all ready considering positions overseas tax free because of this…
    So if the F*ckwits in charge want to screw everyone to the ground so be it…..
    See you in sunnier climates perhaps!!!!
    Let the HMRC read this B*ll*c*s:-)))

K2
    Participant

Came across this on moneysavingexpert site:

"Following an appeal, the Taxman has changed the definition of a ship ruling out any ship that station keeps (known as DP, dynamic position – which is the majority of new vessels being used in Oil & Gas Industry) or does work on oil structures on the seabed"

If this is the case (ALL dp vessels) the new ruling will cover more than the construction, construction support, well service and DSV already mentioned. Anyone heard anything regarding DP vessels?

Perhaps this should read all DP vessels engaged in the O&G industry…..

😕

KeyserSoze
    Participant

Latest info on SED. See link below.

Things may not be as bad as they seem.

Regards………..

http://ukdivingbrotherhood.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar