Home Forums General General Board Stop all ROV work worldwide until Day rate are increased

Stop all ROV work worldwide until Day rate are increased

Home Forums General General Board Stop all ROV work worldwide until Day rate are increased

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    luckyjim37
    Participant

[ No council worker in the UK is on £6 an hour not even office cleaners. So more fact, less propaganda. ]

Ashton Hayes in chester as of the 7th of January agreed to put up the wages of the council office caretaker up to the same as the street cleaner a grand total of £5.83 per hour.

I do not tend to make wages up when I am making a point Savechange and I have cleaned streets so I know that is a realistic wage.

We are paid well and have a good standard of living.

Anonymous

Ashton Hayes in chester as of the 7th of January agreed to put up the wages of the council office caretaker up to the same as the street cleaner a grand total of £5.83 per hour.

I do not tend to make wages up when I am making a point Savechange and I have cleaned streets so I know that is a realistic wage.

We are paid well and have a good standard of living.

Phoned Chester city council 01244 324324 http://www.chester.gov.uk and guess what a new start bin man gets £7.98 per hour, a new start lavetory attendant gets £6.27 per hour and is the lowest paid employee at the council.

When will you people stop bullshitting!!!

luckyjim37
    Participant

The information I posted was found on a minutes of meeting from the council after a swift google search.

More to the point how sad is ringing the council over the christmas period just to prove a point.

Also from past experience a street cleaner and a binman are to different jobs on two very different payrates. I have been a street cleaner for a couple of weeks and have also cut grass in Kendal for a couple of weeks and both of those jobs paid minimum wage or there abouts.

What you have done is just confirmed that if you consider the majority of ROV jobs and the workload involved we are on good money compared to the man in the street who is up at silly o’clock in the morning to empty bins in all weather for £7.98 per hour.

Lets get real if we wanted we could all take four to five months a year off never work in cold weather due to the amount of work in the Med, Africa, GOM, Middle East and Aisia and still earn in excess of the £16598.40 a Chester binman (according to you information) would earn based on a 40 hour week with no bonus’s.

Gents we can sit and moan about money everyday of the week but there are enough other people on crap money and crap conditions to make me realise I am quite lucky to be in the position I am in financially.

http://www.goingcarbonneutral.co.uk/pc/Files%20from%20Andrea/Jan_2007/Jan_07_minutes.pdf

This is the link where I obtained my figures in retrospect and closer reading it was only a parish council not the main council, I am not personnally interested enough to find out the difference between the two but, in the interest of refuting being called a bulls~~~~er, which I believe is language not in-keeping with the rules of the forum ,I am keen to put up my source.

Either way there is at least one street cleaner somewhere in the UK working for the figure I quoted so I have told no lies.

SGB
    Participant

Gents
    Thought this might put it all into prospective.

From the Guardian National Average Salary

Average salary (national average is £22,411)
    ·South-east: £25,221
    ·Scotland: £22,230
    ·East Midlands: £22,528
    ·West Midlands: £22,529
    ·North West: £22,102
    ·Yorkshire and Humber: £21,085
    ·East of England: £21,936
    ·Wales: £20,391
    ·South-west: £22,205
    ·North-east: £20,353
    ·Northern Ireland: £17,366

According to the ONS 2007 Professionally qualified Engineers, ie Registered Chartered and Incorporated Engineers had a mean salary of £35,286 comparing to Health Professionals at £57,067, Solicitors at £51,463 and Chartered Accountants at £38,406.
    Worth bearing in mind that this contrasts to the ETB 2005 Survey of Registered Engineers which state C.Eng mean salary of £54,181.
    For info I.Eng £43,751 and Eng Tech £34,392.

I would suggest that the vast majority of us are well over the national average for Engineers, who are much more qualified with much more responsibility, and more importantly land lubbers pay tax and do not get 5 months holiday a year.

Bacaruda
    Participant

SGB,

The figures you state are 3 years old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005/feb/16/business.pay

Savante
    Participant

UK resident offshore chaps barely qualify for SED and it’s getting harder every year! You try getting a chartered engineer to come offshore for anything less than 80k GBP !!!

SGB
    Participant

The figures from The Guardian are indeed from 2005 but so are the ones from the ETB. I included both of them for comparison. (regional average wage vs Registered Engineers in the same year). The thing with Salary Surveys they are always dealing with historical data, so by the time it is published it maybe 6 – 9 months out of date.

The ONS is the latest and most relevant.

Ray Shields
    Participant

UK resident offshore chaps barely qualify for SED and it’s getting harder every year! You try getting a chartered engineer to come offshore for anything less than 80k GBP !!!

However, unlike yourself, the majority of ROV personnel are technicians and not Engineers. Therefore trying to compare what a Chartered Engineer woudl earn is not realistic. Eng Tech would be closer (from the OMS figure quoted, £34,392). Which most ROV people can easily beat.

I still agree with Jim that compared to most other jobs we are still well paid for what we do. Of course that is not to say we would like more – wouldn’t we all – but to say we earn the same as binmen or the lowliest office cleaner is pure nonsense (unless you are talking about Chinese ROV pilots of course!).

SGB
    Participant

I have been very lucky on the tax refund (FED) and hope this will continue.

I have not heard of Chartered Engineer’s working offshore within a ROV crew.
    To obtain Chartered status you require a good 1st degree plus study to Masters level, together with substantial experience at a senior level of responsibility. There maybe CEngs that come out as Project Field Engineers but that would be only be on a temporary basis.

On a personal note I think Companies should encourage staff to register.

SGB
    Participant

I have been very lucky on the tax refund (FED) and hope this will continue.

FED – typo, should be SED…

Ray Shields
    Participant

You were right first time, FED.

Its the Seafarers FED (Foreign Earnings Deduction).

PS if you click on the Edit icon in the top right of your message, you can edit an existing message. 😀

Anonymous

Woo Hoo only 4 more days until the BIG STRIKE, I can hardly wait. What with all the communication we have been receiving from the Oily Pipe ten on this momentious day i can just really see that we are going to achieve something worthwhile here. Frankly all i care about is the betterment of my fellow ROV peers because i know for sure that they reciprocate in everything that they get.

viva la revolution!!

rovrave
    Participant

[

Frankly all i care about is the betterment of my fellow ROV peers

your past history and comments on this post, puts much doubt on this statement

Anonymous

You obviously are unable to understand the lowest form of humour then……..sarcasm!

rovrave
    Participant

oh…? sarcasm?

i not only understand it, i employ it when the ocassion arises. The lowest from of wit ? well say what you will. I say there is nothing like a bit of witty sarcasm. Unfortunetly that was nothing like witty sarcasm.

keep trying though, as we all need a good laugh here but next time try the joke section as poor old oily might take offence.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar